Register to Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Personal loan & Credit Card Debt Forgiveness

Everyone is talking about mortgage debt forgiveness these days but shouldn't there also be a public discussion about Personal loan & Credit Card Debt Forgiveness? How urgent is this problem and should the government consider Personal loan & Credit Card Debt Forgiveness for all to give people a fresh start in particular on the lower end of the economic spectrum?

Personal Debt and Consequences in Ireland - Oireachtas Report
    Last edited by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike; 26th August 2011 at 02:18 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I'd love to respond but I have to go out and max out my credit card. I'll send a post when I reach Barbados.....

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike View Post
    Everyone is talking about mortgage debt forgiveness these days but shouldn't there also be there a public discussion about about Personal loan & Credit Card Debt Forgiveness? How urgent is this problem and should the government consider Personal loan & Credit Card Debt Forgiveness for all to give people a fresh start in particular on the lower end of the economic spectrum?

I'd be in favour... that 4 week honeymoon in the states is still sitting on my credit card...

Indeed your right. Real reform off bankruptcy laws to the uk model is the only option we need. People can rid themselves of debt but will be punished with the burden of bankruptcy for 12 months with it harder to get credit again.If it works well in the USA and uk and allows people like Donald trump and Alan sugar to become millionaires then why can't we have a sensible approach to bankruptcy also?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike View Post
    Everyone is talking about mortgage debt forgiveness these days but shouldn't there also be there a public discussion about about Personal loan & Credit Card Debt Forgiveness? How urgent is this problem and should the government consider Personal loan & Credit Card Debt Forgiveness for all to give people a fresh start in particular on the lower end of the economic spectrum?

Fair play to you for bringing this up, but I don't think think there will be debt forgiveness for credit cards and personal loans. Even all of this stuff being hyped about mortgage debt forgiveness is far from clear.

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    I'd love to respond but I have to go out and max out my credit card. I'll send a post when I reach Barbados.....
    will you pencil me in for a family trip and I will pay you later??

my experience is that people that are bad with credit never change, do we have to go though the moral hazard thread again.

Best thing is to learn your lesson and once it's paid off never get a credit card again. An overdraft facility with one or more banks is wiser option as is credit union loan for holiday etc. (if needs must). Just keep it to the bare minimum.

There won't be debt forgiveness here as most people can meet monthly repayments on their cards before they get 'charged off' so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    my experience is that people that are bad with credit never change, do we have to go though the moral hazard thread again.
    Exactly. I'd have no time for any debt forgiveness for credit cards, its a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Bi ciuin View Post
    Indeed your right. Real reform off bankruptcy laws to the uk model is the only option we need. People can rid themselves of debt but will be punished with the burden of bankruptcy for 12 months with it harder to get credit again.If it works well in the USA and uk and allows people like Donald trump and Alan sugar to become millionaires then why can't we have a sensible approach to bankruptcy also?
    Is it sensible to have a law that allows people willie nilly run up debts, take goods and services from small businesses etc and then allow them a short spell of 12 months as a bankrupt before they emerge to try it all again?

That's just mad Ted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment