Register to Comment
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Like Tree2Likes

Independent.ie are claiming an 'exclusive' - they've come across a speech by A J Chopra in which he says that Trichet's letters were an "outrageous overreach" of the ECB's mandate.

Exclusive: Chopra says ECB's threats to Ireland were 'outrageous' - Independent.ie

Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but wasn't he one of the Troika who visited Ireland regularly to check that we were being good little girls and boys

In a stinging criticism of the bank, Mr Chopra says he isn't surprised people in Ireland were upset about the letters between the former ECB President Jean-Claude Trichet and the late Brian Lenihan in 2010 in which Mr Trichet threatened to cut off funds for the Irish banks if the Government did not apply for a bailout.
    "The letters actually pressed Ireland to do fiscal consolidation, it pressed them to undertake vague structural reforms without specifying what these were, and that, in my view, is an outrageous overreach by a central bank," Mr Chopra said.
    And he also claimed that the possible effects of burning the bondholders that were put forward by Europe were "exaggerated."
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Last edited by Kitty O'Shea; 29th July 2016 at 10:19 AM.

https://www.businessworld.ie/financi...ks-565250.html

Not sure where to put this.

I though it referred back to 2010, but actually is from earlier this year. Not what u normally hear, Central Bank stopping Finance staff from attending 17 meetings with IMF.

I have visions of lads looking in keyholes with cups against walls.
    Was security required, bouncers on Dame St? Monthy Pthon would have some fun with that!

Quote Originally Posted by SamsonS View Post
    https://www.businessworld.ie/financi...ks-565250.html

Not sure where to put this.

I though it referred back to 2010, but actually is from earlier this year. Not what u normally hear, Central Bank stopping Finance staff from attending 17 meetings with IMF.

I have visions of lads looking in keyholes with cups against walls.
    Was security required, bouncers on Dame St? Monthy Pthon would have some fun with that!
    Noonan was too busy meeting his vulture capitalist mates anyway, and telling them how to evade tax on their Irish profits, at the same time avoiding going to AGS with information of the sexual abuse of children in foster homes.
    He's a busy little fella, when it suits him.

Jaysus you would nearly miss Barna and all his positivity 😂

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment