Register to Comment
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 220
Like Tree70Likes
  1. #21
    Coles Coles is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,229

    Quote Originally Posted by Binx
    I know the electorate have the memory of goldfish, but i don't think one year into the next governments term that anyone is going to forget that fianna fail have been in power for the last ten. While i'm generally quite happy with the current government the one issue i am very disappointed with is how they let house prices spiral out of control. Fair play to McDowell for dangling stamp duty changes in the budget over people last september (even though it had nothing to do with him) in conjunction with rising interest rates, it made people stop and look at how high they had climbed price wise. Government intervention without actually intervening.
    I don't quite follow your logic. The PDs have been in government for the last ten years too, and lets not forget Tom Parlon and his insistance that farmers and landowners get compensated at zoned development rates for agricultural land that is conpulsorarily purchased. While this has needlessly cost the State billions, particularly on road building projects, it has also been one of the major drivers in this property bubble as it has vastly inflated the value of farmland.

    Read Finfacts and be outraged.

    Quote Originally Posted by Binx
    This crash could have been a lot worse.
    It's barely started, and most people still don't see the problem.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #22
    Binx Binx is offline
    Binx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    789

    Quote Originally Posted by Coles
    Read Finfacts and be outraged.

    Quote Originally Posted by Binx
    This crash could have been a lot worse.
    It's barely started, and most people still don't see the problem.
    I know we haven't seen the whole result yet but my point was that however it happens and whatever the result, it could have been worse. I don't know if it was McDowells intention to cause speculation in the market and hasten the inevitable, but he did a good job of it either way.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #23
    MINISTER MINISTER is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    631

    Two quick points, if I may!

    1) FF are delighted this stamp duty thingy is going in tandem with the Nurses as it is taking away from the flak they could be getting about the bawls they have made of the health service?

    2) The builders and Bert will be out of the tribunals in a year, the goldfish will have forgotten everything and FF will, sadly, be on their way back in as a hung Dail breaks up over the economy!!! Sadly
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #24
    Coles Coles is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,229

    Quote Originally Posted by Binx
    Quote Originally Posted by Coles
    Read Finfacts and be outraged.

    Quote Originally Posted by Binx
    This crash could have been a lot worse.
    It's barely started, and most people still don't see the problem.
    I know we haven't seen the whole result yet but my point was that however it happens and whatever the result, it could have been worse. I don't know if it was McDowells intention to cause speculation in the market and hasten the inevitable, but he did a good job of it either way.
    The market had already turned in May/June 2006, so I don't think McDowell deserves either the credit or blame for slowing the market. However, by saying that the Government didn't need the billions of euro generated by stamp duty he has displaying breath-taking ignorance to the real effects of the inequality PD policies have deliberately created within our society.

    As a case in point, can McDowell not see the benefit of spending resources in educating and rehabilitating offenders? Can he not see the benefit of spending resources on creating drug-free prisons? Can he not see the benefit in tackling the suicide crisis his society is suffering?

    It is PD policy to create inequality. To hell with them.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #25
    asknoquestions asknoquestions is offline
    asknoquestions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,469

    Quote Originally Posted by Binx
    Quote Originally Posted by Coles
    Read Finfacts and be outraged.

    Quote Originally Posted by Binx
    This crash could have been a lot worse.
    It's barely started, and most people still don't see the problem.
    I know we haven't seen the whole result yet but my point was that however it happens and whatever the result, it could have been worse. I don't know if it was McDowells intention to cause speculation in the market and hasten the inevitable, but he did a good job of it either way.
    I disagree, I'm not sure that hastening the inevitable is the best result - that is, a soft landing where house prices stagnate over some years would be better, according to most commentators, than a sudden drop?

    At the moment there is no liquidity because people are expecting action on stamp duty and sellers don't want to drop their asking, buyers want to wait, which means there will be a large overhang of property when the stamp duty change happens.

    I think he didn't realise the import of what he was saying.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #26
    dub006 dub006 is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,391

    I despise FF with the same revulsion held for criminals.

    However my vote will go to FF this election.They need to be imprisoned in the mess of their own making.

    The population will be fed up with Fine Gael ,labour et al and will clamour for radical solutions after the property crash and a world economic realignment brought about by a devalued dollar,The US trade defecit,collapsed US housing market and trade sanctions voted in by the Democratic party in the US.

    Whatever political force forms in Ireland following this will force change.

    This election will be the last one fought that has any reference to civil war politics or to any developments in 20th century Ireland.

    The social contract has been torn up by FF/PD's so there is nothing bonding the working class,middle classes or the rich anymore.
    This will be become very evident when the property market crashes.
    Its also why none of the present political parties will be able to meet the new challenges.

    What has been happening in Ireland is not a class struggle but a civil war in disguise.

    Mass immigration provides cheap labour for the rich and degrades unskilled wages.No funding was ever debated or voted on in Dail eireann to cater for the health,educational and general infrastructural needs of mass immigration.
    Therefore rich property developers gain effectively subsidised cheap foreign labour,whose costs are born by the people they are displacing.
    The sovereign rights of unskilled workers are eviscerated.This an act of civil war.

    Low interests and uncontrolled immigration provided the fuel to the property market pyre.

    This is what people should direct their attention to is that FF/PD's have attacked their fellow citizens by subverting the constitution to facilitate their developer friends.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #27
    Coles Coles is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,229

    Good post.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #28
    merle haggard merle haggard is offline
    merle haggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    20,624

    class war is a good a war as any, probably better than most
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #29
    untouchable untouchable is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    758

    Quote Originally Posted by Coles
    Quote Originally Posted by Binx
    I know the electorate have the memory of goldfish, but i don't think one year into the next governments term that anyone is going to forget that fianna fail have been in power for the last ten. While i'm generally quite happy with the current government the one issue i am very disappointed with is how they let house prices spiral out of control. Fair play to McDowell for dangling stamp duty changes in the budget over people last september (even though it had nothing to do with him) in conjunction with rising interest rates, it made people stop and look at how high they had climbed price wise. Government intervention without actually intervening.
    I don't quite follow your logic. The PDs have been in government for the last ten years too, and lets not forget Tom Parlon and his insistance that farmers and landowners get compensated at zoned development rates for agricultural land that is conpulsorarily purchased. While this has needlessly cost the State billions, particularly on road building projects, it has also been one of the major drivers in this property bubble as it has vastly inflated the value of farmland.

    Read Finfacts and be outraged.

    Quote Originally Posted by Binx
    This crash could have been a lot worse.
    It's barely started, and most people still don't see the problem.
    Coles, your blood is worth bottling.
    "lets not forget Tom Parlon and his insistance that farmers and landowners get compensated at zoned development rates for agricultural land that is conpulsorarily purchased. While this has needlessly cost the State billions, particularly on road building projects, it has also been one of the major drivers in this property bubble as it has vastly inflated the value of farmland. "
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #30
    Cael Cael is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    31,417

    I was at an auction in Kells reciently, where a farm of 120 acres went for 2.8 million. The rental value of the farm is valued at around 25,000 a year. The morgage repayments would be over 100,000 a year. I havent been able to figure out why someone would do this. And the per acre price was fairly standard for the area. The farm is well away from any urban area and has no prospect of being re-zoned for developement. Anyone got any ideas?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment