Register to Comment
Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree166Likes

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    We can just swap stuff around to each other.. and hey presto, the depression will disappear.. yeah ?
    I'm sending a taxi to pick you up and get you to Shannon immediately. The EU heads of state will be there to meet you in Brussels. Its a crazy idea, but it just might work.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    I paid about 40k income tax last year so I don't apologies for shopping around for the best deals. It is the EU and all that!!!!!!!!
    Fair play to you.At least you pay tax.

I met a German business man in 05 on the bus from London - his plane was cancelled - and had a very revealing chat.He was an IT consultant with his own business in the south east,had a flat in London and planned to retire to his big house in Malaysia.He reckoned Ireland had built too many houses and was in trouble because ' nobody here pays any tax'.

At this point he was interrupted by an Irish fellow passenger who protested that he was exaggerating.'Well I've lived here for four years and I haven't paid a penny' he said 'why should I, when no other bastard is?'

An African nurse gave him an earful along the lines of 'I love Ireland,my husband is Irish and you shouldn't knock the place when you make a living there.' You can meet people on a bus folks.Anyway he predicted the crash,with one caveat: he thought the next boom would be in the Baltic Republics.He was wrong about that anyhow,well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Big_Fellow View Post
    I'm sending a taxi to pick you up and get you to Shannon immediately. The EU heads of state will be there to meet you in Brussels. Its a crazy idea, but it just might work.
    I'll need a toothbrush, 500 euro's spending money, and a pair of clean under pants... but I'm willing to give it a try.

Sometimes I wonder really about how much basic economic knowledge there is in the world, especially amongst political leaders.

Economic growth has been the nirvana chased for the best part of a century... when in fact, it's a bit of a fallacy ... all it is a is treadmill that eventually makes those who chase it run and run and run until eventually they fall down

Then instead of seeing it for the fallacy it was, instead of actually adressing it.. they start to tinker with it at the edges, messing with currency values and such....

Sustainability people.. if it's the only thing the Greens can teach us.. let it be sustainability

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB_Qhfc9Fjk&feature=related"]YouTube- Limits to economic growth? Sustainability?[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by macdarawhitfield View Post

Unfortunately I have to reject the compliment. The only reason I pay the tax is because I haven't figured out a way not to.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Big_Fellow View Post
    Sterling has dropped by about 25% over the last two years, yet it has had little impact on their exports.
    You must be joking! Our trade with the UK is way down.

Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth View Post
    You must be joking! Our trade with the UK is way down.
    It has knocked the crap out of ours. I a, referring to that the usual benefits of devaluing, your produce being cheaper in other countries is not working, especially when consumer demand is down all over the western world.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOZWYDXaQLs"]YouTube- The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Episode 6 part 4 of 4[/nomedia]

Quote Originally Posted by Supermanpolitician View Post
    Hate to break it to you but more trade = more wealth creation. Not a panacea but definitely a help.

Look at how protectionist policies worked (or didn't work) in the past.

Complete nonsense. It might create wealth for Carlos Slim

Recent Discussions - Real Irish Politics Forums

Quote Originally Posted by odlum View Post
    The hens are coming home to roost....
    The real question is which European country will first default on its sovereign debt - Greece or the UK

No matter which is first, the other will default shortly afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by macdarawhitfield View Post

I met a German business man in 05 on the bus from London - his plane was cancelled - and had a very revealing chat.He was an IT consultant with his own business in the south east,had a flat in London and planned to retire to his big house in Malaysia.He reckoned Ireland had built too many houses and was in trouble because ' nobody here pays any tax'.

At this point he was interrupted by an Irish fellow passenger who protested that he was exaggerating.'Well I've lived here for four years and I haven't paid a penny' he said 'why should I, when no other bastard is?'

An African nurse gave him an earful along the lines of 'I love Ireland,my husband is Irish and you shouldn't knock the place when you make a living there.' You can meet people on a bus folks.Anyway he predicted the crash,with one caveat: he thought the next boom would be in the Baltic Republics.He was wrong about that anyhow,well so far.
    Well that German would want to get his facts right the next time he sticks his nose up a country.
    German Tax revenue to GNP is around 25%
    Ireland's Tax Revenue to GNP is over 30%

Typical Irish mentality to blame ourselves and to put up with sh1te as opposed to throwing stones at the ruling class.

Fair play to the Greeks.

Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment