Register to Comment
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Quote Originally Posted by eurocitizan View Post
    I am convinced that there are people who actually despise good news .
    Be that as it may it is not true to say that we are coming out of the doldrums.
    We are still firmly stuck in it and it will take a lot of recovery in Foreign Countries to get us out of the the hole.
    However we will just keep the Nails sharp and hang in there.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Look at my thread about the possibility of the Federal Reserve being audited and possibly abolished. Thats what I call good news and a reason for optimism.

Nearly anything else is like being happy with the tune the band has started playing when you are on the Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Middleaged View Post
    Explain why the above affects the likes of Intel, Pfizer, HP, Microsoft J&J to name a couple... these are our primary exporters and the above will employ thousands....
    "Our" primary exporters? I would suggest that these are foreign corporations, currently located in Ireland and exporting from Ireland, who, when a better offer comes from elsewhere, would seriously consider leaving Ireland to export from somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by HarshBuzz View Post
    everybody likes good news (hurray for good news!)

but to take a single piece of good news out of the overall situation and represent it as a macro trend....that's just myopic and delusional
    Exactly. So many people's lives have been ruined by these crappy good news reports from these type of institutes in 2007 and 2008. I'll stick with the fundementals, thank you very much such as unemployment rate, CPI and REAL GDP.

Where is good news?
    MNCís always been used as justification for high property prices and high salaries in public sector, but actual input into Irish economy is not as big as it looks
    Ireland has a high level of FDI as a percentage of GDP. c.75%, (GNP c.85%) compared to OECD average of 25%, Italy 20%, Spain 35%

In 2007 spend in Irish economy by IDA supported FDI is Ä15.9b of which salaries Ä6.8b, Irish raw materials Ä2.5b and Irish services Ä6.6b

IDA supported clients created 8,800 jobs in 2008, now employing circa 136,000 full time
    This equates to c.6.5% of total numbers employed.
    Even all MNCís will leave Ireland, it will hit country much less then burst of property bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    "Our" primary exporters? I would suggest that these are foreign corporations, currently located in Ireland and exporting from Ireland, who, when a better offer comes from elsewhere, would seriously consider leaving Ireland to export from somewhere else.
    Ehhh obviously from your OP that you would prefer they left. What is your magical idea that we should replace them with??????

Absolutely agree.

Too many people wallowing and feeling sorry for themselves.

Get up Stand up folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Middleaged View Post
    Explain why the above affects the likes of Intel, Pfizer, HP, Microsoft J&J to name a couple... these are our primary exporters and the above will employ thousands....
    Because we are not liechenstein or San Marino. We have no real wealth. We have resources but nobody seems to know how to use them anymore. We have to become more self sufficient. We should not be relying on Multinationals.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisagame View Post
    Ehhh obviously from your OP that you would prefer they left. What is your magical idea that we should replace them with??????
    We don't have anything.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Syndrome View Post
    Because we are not liechenstein or San Marino. We have no real wealth. We have resources but nobody seems to know how to use them anymore. We have to become more self sufficient. We should not be relying on Multinationals.
    I do not like saying this, but an OP like that deserves a GROW UP.
    We have zero chance of being even close to self sufficient.
    The resources we have are the skilled people that were trained by......Foreign Companies in Ireland.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment