Register to Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Miriam O'Callaghan's FF Brother: Main Policy is Councils Should Buy Development Land

Hat tip to "confused" at the Property Pin:

Wannabe FF TD advocates 'buy up cheap land' • thepropertypin.com

I got a flier through the door from Jim O'Callaghan (FF 'Dail Candidate' in Dublin SE) the other night. Below is the content of the front page...

"Dear Resident,
    With the drop in property values, now is the time for the City Council to buy some development land for social housing and civic amenities.
    THere is now a superb opportunity for the City Council to enlarge its land bank. It would mean that social and affordable housing schemes could increase.
    It would also provide much needed space for the building of libraries, community centres and new recreational parks.
    This is a rare opportunity that the City Council should seize in order to provide a better urban environment for our community.

Best wishes
    Jim O'Callaghan"

There followed a half page anti-incinerator article, then overleaf pieces on cost reduction for small businesses, reinstatement of post offices and improving libraries.

Ive no scanner so cant put up the original dirge. Interestingly, his website has a section called Policies, and it's blank.
    Does he really think that advocating spending more public money on overpriced property will win him votes? The mind (well, my mind anyway) boggles...
    Here's that policy page in full:

Does Jim really think that running on a blatant platform of giving taxpayers' money to developers is a winning formula for Fianna Fail?

P.
    Last edited by oceanclub; 3rd May 2009 at 07:59 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Bloody hell not more bloody social housing, theres enough ugly crime-ridden and drug-infested grey blocks around the City centre, without having more crap. However libraries, and other community facilities should be welcomed. I have never heard of this man before today, i'm not sure that he'll get off on a good start

Quote Originally Posted by DS-09 View Post
    Bloody hell not more bloody social housing, theres enough ugly crime-ridden and drug-infested grey blocks around the City centre, without having more crap. However libraries, and other community facilities should be welcomed. I have never heard of this man before today, i'm not sure that he'll get off on a good start
    I have no problem with social housing. I find it funny, though, that the only time you hear Fianna Failers go on about it is in the context of bailing out developers.

P.

I understand the Dept of Environment has agreed a deal with developers to enter into 10 and 20 year leases with Co. councils for unsold property to be used for social housing. Neat solution to unsold properties there then.

The properties will revert to the developers when the 10 or 20 years are up. By then they may be worth something. Interesting, will bad debtors in Nama include these folk?

FF again bailing out their friends it seems.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publication...d,19578,en.pdf

Also see par 5 onwards in this
    News - Department of the Environment, Heritage & Local Government

If he is this willing to bend over for the developers before the election, and in a political climate, where it is deeply unpopular, then I would hate to see what he would do if he got elected.

And this guy is Frock-of-the-Year's brother ?

Jim is coming up to the 2nd anniversary of politics.ie first noticing he has no policies:

http://www.politics.ie/fianna-fail/1...-policies.html

P.

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    I understand the Dept of Environment has agreed a deal with developers to enter into 10 and 20 year leases with Co. councils for unsold property to be used for social housing. Neat solution to unsold properties there then.

The properties will revert to the developers when the 10 or 20 years are up. By then they may be worth something. Interesting, will bad debtors in Nama include these folk?

FF again bailing out their friends it seems.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publication...d,19578,en.pdf

Also see par 5 onwards in this
    News - Department of the Environment, Heritage & Local Government
    Now that is quite remarkable. Why has this been so quiet in the media?

First question is the same as yours AssetTest:

will bad debtors in Nama include these folk?
    Secondly, will the tenants be offered the chance to buy the property outright at a reduced rate when the leases are up, like a rent-to-buy scheme? If not, why not?

So the developers get 10-20 years of payments (which may well be above market rates) and then get the properties handed back to them when its quite likely they will have appreciated, perhaps substantially, by then??? This utterly stinks of cronyism.

why is miriam being dragged into this, is she her brother's keeper?

Wouldn't tenants have rights?....even if they dont live there for the 10/20 years...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment