Register to Comment
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Re: Dublin Protestants

Quote Originally Posted by Kalif
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolblue
    I was reading about the song "Come out you Black and Tans" and it mentioned that the song makes reference to a Dublin protestant working class who had been Black and Tans. It made it sound like they faded away or something over time. Did they intermarry or move out? What happened to them are they still there?

Lb
    After independence most Protestants in the south were made to feel more then unwelcome, some were driven out, most moved north or to the mainland.

As dev said, it was a Catholic country for a Catholic people.
    Plank. You might try using facts. Isn't there a politics.uk for you to bore people with your stupidity? WHy would a brit be on an Irish website talking (out of his arse let it be said) about irish history?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

If anyone can find the lyrics in question:

I was born on a Dublin street where the Royal drums did beat
    And the loving English feet they walked all over us
    And each and every night when me da' would come home tight
    He'd invite the neighbors outside with this chorus

Come out you black and tans, come out and fight me like a man
    Show your wife how you won medals down in Flanders
    Tell her how the IRA made you run like hell away
    From the green and lovely lanes of Killashandra

Come let me hear you tell how you slammed the great Parnell
    When you fought them well and truly persecuted
    Where are the smears and jeers that you bravely let us hear
    When our heros of sixteen were executed

Come tell us how you slew those brave arabs two by two
    Like the Zulus they had spears and bows and arrows
    How you bravely slew each one with your sixteen pounder gun
    And you frightened them poor natives to their marrow

The day is coming fast and the time is here at last
    When each yoeman will be cast aside before us
    And if there be a need sure my kids will sing God speed
    With a verse of two of Steven Beehan's chorus

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard
    I was reading about the song "Come out you Black and Tans" and it mentioned that the song makes reference to a Dublin protestant working class who had been Black and Tans. It made it sound like they faded away or something over time. Did they intermarry or move out? What happened to them are they still there?

Lb
    After independence most Protestants in the south were made to feel more then unwelcome, some were driven out, most moved north or to the mainland.

Plank. You might try using facts. Isn't there a politics.uk for you to bore people with your stupidity? WHy would a brit be on an Irish website talking (out of his arse let it be said) about irish history?
    Because he is a sad loner.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Lb

Quote Originally Posted by popper
    I wouldn't take that song too literally! It was written by Brendan Behan's less talented brother Dominic. Tans and Brits were under daily attack with several hundred of them killed in Dublin between 1920 and 22 and were all living in barracks and certainly not in digs!

Song also refers to the IRA chasing them down the "green and lovely lanes of Killeshandra" in Cavan. Which is a bit of a local joke as the IRA did almost nothing in Cavan.
    Dominic Behan was a prolific and talented song writer (and a good singer too), including the internationally acclaimed "Patriot Game". He also wrote plays and other prose, most notably "Teems of Time". Maybe it was his politics you don't like?

Quote Originally Posted by Podolski
    Quote Originally Posted by popper
    I wouldn't take that song too literally! It was written by Brendan Behan's less talented brother Dominic. Tans and Brits were under daily attack with several hundred of them killed in Dublin between 1920 and 22 and were all living in barracks and certainly not in digs!

Song also refers to the IRA chasing them down the "green and lovely lanes of Killeshandra" in Cavan. Which is a bit of a local joke as the IRA did almost nothing in Cavan.
    Dominic Behan was a prolific and talented song writer (and a good singer too), including the internationally acclaimed "Patriot Game". He also wrote plays and other prose, most notably "Teems of Time". Maybe it was his politics you don't like?

I said "less talented" not untalented. Actually met him, or rather was in the same company as him, a few times. Irrascible I think is the most apt description! A roaring stickie as I recall.

There is still a Protestant working class, both urban and rural in the Republic, though the information above, particularly in Locke's post is very accurate. There is nothing more I would add to his post.

I was always led to believe that Protestants voted Fine Gael (in rural areas). What about in ubran areas? I am aware of Cllr Trevor Matthews in Dundrum (Fianna Fáil). Labour voters?

Lb

Absolute bollocks1

i dread the outcome of these threads...wait for every ugly stereotype to pop up...

for the record the protestant side of my family was (and still is) cork inner city working class. the rc side was (and still is) cork country and wealthly. go figure.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment