Register to Comment
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    That's not an answer.

What law?
    Cities became cities through royal charters, which is still the way in the UK - hence Lisburn and Newry. So Kilkenny is a city because it was quite important back in the day, whereas Galway wasn't until the local govt. act in 1990, although obviously much bigger. There's lots of quite small towns in Britain that are cities on the same basis - Wells, Hereford, Ely, Stirling etc - and big places that aren't.

The act above defines 5 cities in the Republic - Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford. Kilkenny is allowed to call itself a city on the basis of history but doesn't have a city council, which is the defining characteristic of a city now that - unlike Derry City in the song - we no longer have a queen.

For the record, I think Tallaght and Swords should be cities; proximity to Dublin is no argument - Salford is a separate city to Manchester, the West Midlands has three contiguous cities.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Toman13 View Post
    Lisburn was a city BEFORE being consumed by Belfast, as far as I know. Tallaght was a planned Dublin suburb.
    No it didn't. The Belfast sprawl had reached Lisburn long before her maj visited in 2002, and waved her wand, and proclaimed a town that was so wonderful that it couldn't even boast a single hotel, was henceforth to be considered a "citie", under some anachronistic, medieval law, which enabled her to perform this miracle. As a matter of interest is there even any legal mechanism in Irish law anymore by which a town can be granted city status? If this was a common law power which previously rested with the monarch and there isn't a monarch anymore surely you'd have to implement special legislation. If that is the case, I hope the legislators realise that their role is a little more demanding than awarding cosmetic, feelgood changes which make absolutely no difference to anything other than signage.

tallaght will always be considered part of dublin which spread out, I cant see it being considered because it could hurt investment to the area in the future

Quote Originally Posted by PUFF DADDY View Post
    I moved to tallaght several years ago and it is not ALL a kip ! In fact I like that I have everything at my doorstep and not too far from where I grew up. Grant it years ago, it had nothing, but is sure has now.

Re OP It is a part of Dublin and should not be a city.
    I'm old enough to recall when Tallaght village was surrounded by fields for as far as the eye can see.
    Dublin sprawl ended at the graveyard opposite the Spawell and at Walkinstown Roundabout in those days.

Tallaght is now part of Dublin City and it should remain so and not be considered a separate city in my opinion.

No. Tallaght is a Dublin Suburb. The only other towns in this country, excluding the North, that could even be considered as cities are Drogheda and Dundalk. IMO though, towns need to have a minimum population of 50,000 before they could be called "cities".

Quote Originally Posted by d7bohs View Post
    For the record, I think Tallaght and Swords should be cities; proximity to Dublin is no argument - Salford is a separate city to Manchester, the West Midlands has three contiguous cities.
    FFS, you may as well allow districts within Dublin to call themselves "cities" then.

Give them their own goverment as well, so we can have more troughers to abuse the system.......

Tallaght - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ahem.......??

Quote Originally Posted by Toman13 View Post
    No. Tallaght is a Dublin Suburb. The only other towns in this country, excluding the North, that could even be considered as cities are Drogheda and Dundalk. IMO though, towns need to have a minimum population of 50,000 before they could be called "cities".

Quote Originally Posted by lying eyes View Post
    Give them their own goverment as well, so we can have more troughers to abuse the system.......
    Call it Haughey Town, thats where he made the dosh with the land speculation.

Cities in Ireland are generally ones which contain a cathedral, that is why Kilkenny and indeed Armagh are called cities even though other areas have larger populations. Tallaght does not have a cathedral and therefore is not a city.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment