Register to Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

U2 to demolish protected structures

U2 have finally found what they're looking for -- planning permission for a 150m revamp of the Clarence Hotel.

The rock supergroup have been given the green light by Dublin City Council to go ahead with controversial plans to turn the landmark property in Temple Bar into what Bono claims will be "the most spectacular hotel in Europe". His friend, former US President Bill Clinton, stayed at the hotel last night.

But conservationists and environmentalists have expressed outrage at the decision to allow Bono and The Edge to demolish four neighbouring listed buildings and erect a spaceship-style atrium on top.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 22485.html

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=6427

It's a horrendous proposal, and is likely to be refused on appeal.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Re: U2 to demolish protected structures

Quote Originally Posted by alonso
    U2 have finally found what they're looking for -- planning permission for a 150m revamp of the Clarence Hotel.

The rock supergroup have been given the green light by Dublin City Council to go ahead with controversial plans to turn the landmark property in Temple Bar into what Bono claims will be "the most spectacular hotel in Europe". His friend, former US President Bill Clinton, stayed at the hotel last night.

But conservationists and environmentalists have expressed outrage at the decision to allow Bono and The Edge to demolish four neighbouring listed buildings and erect a spaceship-style atrium on top.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 22485.html

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=6427

It's a horrendous proposal, and is likely to be refused on appeal.
    Would it not be possible to revamp the existing structures to at least maintain the facade along the riverfront?

"Would it not be possible to revamp the existing structures to at least maintain the facade along the riverfront?"

My understanding was that the Georgian facades would still be retained

I'm still opposed to it anyway. I mean for the love of god, U2 will have their other Norman Foster inspired skyscraper, the U2 Tower, further down the keys. Surely that's sufficient to satisfy their egos?

One of the articles states that the adjoining Georgian buildings are in a bad state of affairs. Well if there left to rot, what other result can you expect!!!!!

What is with the obsession with Norman Foster?!!! I know he has designed some beautiful buildings, but is he to be all and end all of architecture. Christ, chic artistes are so fukcing painful!

The riverfront facade is being retained and added to. The protected structures for the chop are on Essex. St. - not sure if even the facades are being retained. It's being appealed as an "illegal" development. The Planning Act states "exceptional reasons" must exist for protected structures to be demolished. There are clearly no such reasons in this instance.

Foster can be great, and is obviously good mates with U2. The Docklands proposal will go to court, as the tendering process was a mess. People call him a "Star-chitect" along with Calatrava, Gehry etc. or Nark-itect, as I prefer it.

Its a pity someone couldnt demolish Bono whilst their at it.

Twat.

Quote Originally Posted by The OD

Twat.
    I agree.
    Bono should be thrown down a well and forgotten. I can just imagine him at the bottom pleading for a rope in a fake american accent.

Twat.
    And the rest of them.

ah sure ya can't expect this thread to remain on topic can ya?
    There's been at least 14 other Bono bashing threads in the last 5 minutes. This one is about a development in Temple Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Champa

Twat.
    I agree.
    Bono should be thrown down a well and forgotten. I can just imagine him at the bottom pleading for a rope in a fake american accent.
    Him, Gerry Ryan, Ryan Tubridy and that twat off TV3 that does the weather. We could drop fire ant or something down there whilst we're at it. Actually, scrap Gerry Ryan - the other three could survive indefinitely on the rubbery flesh of his outsized neck.

"Him, Gerry Ryan, Ryan Tubridy and that twat off TV3 that does the weather. We could drop fire ant or something down there whilst we're at it. Actually, scrap Gerry Ryan - the other three could survive indefinitely on the rubbery flesh of his outsized neck."

You paint a pretty picture. You are leaving out Twink, Linda Martin and Matt Cooper though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment