Register to Comment
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

What is this Garda vehicle on O’Connell St for?

Mods if I have posted this on a incorrect forum, apologies and please move

Anytime I am in or travelling through town on a Monday to Friday this Garda vehicle is dumped in the middle of O'Connell St opposite the G.P.O

Why is it there?

It apparently has no purpose. Is it used as a canteen for the local Gardai "guarding" the G.P.O. perhaps for taking a nap due to the arduous duty?

Is it supposed to be a visual deterrent to crime?

If it is, it is less than useless, the Daniel O Connell statue at the O'Connell bridge end of the street is normally surrounded by junkies drinking from cans, vodka filled coffee cups etc, whilst shouting and carousing with frequent scuffles breaking out amongst them. No sign of any Gardai bothering to move them on. Nor is there any sign of Gardai doing anything to stop the fare paying passengers of the Luas on Abbey Street being hassled by junkies

The traffic lights at the Spire suffers all day from the abuse by typical law breaking cyclists, engaging in anti-social behaviour, riding through the red lights, blatantly ignoring pedestrians as they attempt to cross the road and putting their lives in danger. Last week I witnessed a young girl having her mobile stolen by a thug on a bike at the Spire.

Walk up North Earl St and witness the all-day drug dealing, again another street filled with junkies.

Stroll on up Talbot St and its more of the same along with frequent fights.

So why leave this Garda vehicle dumped in front of the G.P.O. when all it does is highlight the totally ineffectual and lack of a police presence in the centre of town?

Answers please on a postcards c/o politics.ie

/MOD/ This thread merged here: Garda Vehicle dumped on Abbey St & Shades of the Moving Statues! /MOD/
    Last edited by Sync; 21st July 2012 at 06:24 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Maybe the cold case squad is aiming to crack the Nelson's Pillar explosion in time for 2016.
    Last edited by Frank Galton; 16th July 2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typo

I think you're right, its there in the place of actual cops...showing a Garda presence...now you see 'em...now you dont

It's to give the illusion of a garda presence to the local toe rags. Not that it worked when they were kicking the crap out of each other at the corner of Henry street with hurleys in broad daylight not so long ago.

It is where the lads go for a smoke, or sleep off their hangovers.

I was beginning to think it was a stolen Garda vehichle and the Gardai with their excellent ability to solve crimes have been unable to find it!

It was forgotten about after Love Ulster. Poor Van

They should start selling burgers, chips hot dogs and minerals out of it. It would be more useful that an obviously empty Garda van. Feed the skobes. A full skobe is a happy skobe.

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    It was forgotten about after Love Ulster. Poor Van
    I don't think so, it has no burn marks on it, just lots of dog pee as its quite handy for our canine friends to express their opinion of the Garda presence

It is just me or that guy in the photo is giving the finger to the Guards.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment