Register to Comment
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree223Likes

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    If you want to get something done about the zombies put a methadone clinic in Blackrock.
    That would be a good tactic.

Personally, I'm against putting methadone clinics in the suburbs, especially the suburban area where I live.

This isn't "Nimbyism" though, I'm against methadone programmes full stop.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by cathalbrugha View Post
    skanker, n.

Pronunciation: Brit. /ˈskaŋkə/ , U.S. /ˈskæŋkər/ , Caribbean /skaŋkə/
    Etymology: < skank v. (although attested earlier in sense 1) + -er suffix1.
    orig. Caribbean.Categories »

1. A deceitful, untrustworthy person; a swindler, a cheat.

'Scuse Me While I Light My Spliff.....from reality I just can't drift.....easy skankin' skankin' in slow....

From the Rastafari dialect, perhaps?

From the Rastafari dialect, perhaps? Skankin like Knatty, would be seen as part of an alien culture, and putting a skankin' label onto someone, by callin' dem 'deceitfiul', or changing the the term Knatty to Knotty symbolised the fear that the English had of the DreadLock.*

*The wearing of dreadlocks is very closely associated with the movement, though not universal among, or exclusive to, its adherents. Rastas maintain that locks are supported by Leviticus 21:5 ("They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in the flesh.") and the Nazirite vow in Numbers 6:5 ("All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the Lord, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.").

Like in the same way Oxford-type snobs would be offended by the term Knatty Dread-For example one English record company went so far as to release a BoB Marley album called Knotty Dread. A classic example of the damage to a culture, such as the Jamaican Reggae Rastafari culture, that Mainstream Media Corporations can do. What's the difference between the two? Imagine someone fearing reggae at any level? Imagine an entire Class of snobs who feared it? Knatty Guess who's Coming to Dinner, an album by Black Uhuru, where the answer to the rhetorical question is "Natty Dreadlocks", features the term Natty. Natty Dread, a 1974 album by Bob Marley & the Wailers also features the term Natty as does Time Will Tell from the BoB Marley album Kaya.... which itself is a classic song,imo... Come Come Cruxify The Dread Time Alone Oh Time Will Tell.....Think Yar In Heaven But Yar Livin' in Hell...

Mm-mm. Mm-mm.
    Sold ma didn't matter where
    Hold mom to the ground
    Sold ma children are cryin'.
    Oh, children, weep no more!
    Old man sycamore tree, saw the freedom tree.
    All you Africans stole
    Oh, children, weep no more;
    Weep no more: children, weep no more!

Jah would never give the power to a baldhead
    Run come crucify the Dread.

Time alone - oh, time will tell:
    Think you're in heaven, but ya living in hell;
    Think you're in heaven, but ya living in hell;
    Think you're in heaven, but ya living in hell.
    Time alone - oh, time will tell:
    Think you're in heaven, but ya living in hell.

it's a problem that has a risen because of lack of action

1) there's no room in prisons because we chose to give the money to banks instead of building a new prison. When we were considering building a new prison there was way to much stupid ass bickering over it's location, as if it fu(kin matters where you put it.

2) we give a €6 allowance to prisoners to buy smokes with and their partners on the outside get an allowance too

3) no anti drugs policy. Methadone clinics should be located in suburban industrial estates not in tourist hot spots like christ church and temple bar. The fact that there are methadone clinics on the city's main tourist attractions shows that we genuinely do not give a toss about anything or anyone, or even how others view us.

I would suggest, as well as actually having Gardaí on the streets, that the City Council and various business associations should have a role in maintaining law and order. There are gigantic screens with speakers in the main shopping areas, use them to warn people if there's a reported trouble maker about.

Get a constant Gardaí presence in the trouble spots.

Bring out a smart phone app so people can discretely and conveniently report dodgy things they see, e.g. hoards of junkies drinking and doing drugs on the steps of the customs house.

Encourage community watch programmes etc. it can't all fall to the gardaí ordinary people need to get involved too.

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    All this " let the Guards at it " stuff isn't reflected in the " judge throws out case against drunk yobbo" thread.
    If there were more gardai on the streets providing a deterrent there'd be less cases for our useless judiciary to throw out...

I think the idea is prevention rather than cure... or at least it should be...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy horse 6 View Post
    The Gardai have already decided to take a softly softly approach with the junkies and low lifes in Dublin city centre. They don't have the man power or money available to pay the overtime required to deal with the out of control drug problem. Things are already worse than the 1980's in some parts of the city. This is'nt internet bull************************tery BTW, anyone who knows a Garda (as i do) working in Dublin will tell you likewise off the record.
    I don't buy that argument at all.

The Gardai are well paid and well resourced, and have been for years.

Junkies and skangers have had free run of Dublin for years, including during the 'boom'...

The Gardai and the judiciary simply don't seem to have the will or inclination to deal with this issue at all...

They prefer to setup speed traps in the suburbs to catch motorists doing 33 in a 30 zone...

Two articles in tonights Herald....one relating to a bunch of morans who were caught on camera fighting at the junction of talbot and gardiner street....and another relating to Karen Oakes from Ballyfermot who received a suspended four year sentence for cultivating canabis plants in her family home.

This one spun the story that a credit union was pursuing her for the repayment of her former partners loan that she went gaurantor for. So she then went to a loan shark....and what happened next was that she was then asked by a criminal to do a "cash drop"....and lord and behold....because she done the cash drop to the wrong person....she was then forced to cultivate the canabis plants in her own house .

'Morons' brawl in city centre as tourists look on - News, Frontpage - Herald.ie

Mum-of-five forced by criminal to grow drugs at her home - News, Frontpage - Herald.ie

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    Two articles in tonights Herald....one relating to a bunch of morans
    The "Morans" were fighting outside O'Shea "Morons" Hotel or were the "Morons" fighting outside "O'Shea Morans" Hotel???

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    I remember Clintons "three strikes and you're out" speech on crime when he was US President.

I wonder how many strikes before you're out in Ireland?
    Looks like you can strike as many people as you want to in Ireland, without any real repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by sking81 View Post
    Apparently on Talbot Street a few days ago. The story, from the video comments appears to unfold with two of our local layabouts accosting two of our non-indigenous friends who were on their way out of a gym. Needless to say they were put back in their box quicktime even with the advantage of weilding an umbrella with dangerous intentions . The video involves fighting so if you cant abide violence then dont watch it.

Now I dont always condone assaults but cant help but feel that if the Gardai (and to an extent, the general public) did a bit more of this we wouldnt have as big a problem with inner city knackery as we do today.

An unprovoked attack on two young lads enjoying a bag of chips on a street corner.
    Violence should never be praised as it is on this thread.
    Those two young lads that got beaten are in need of support from society.

This thread should be debating societies debt to those two young lads.

Quote Originally Posted by jo9jo

An unprovoked attack on two young lads enjoying a bag of chips on a street corner.
    Violence should never be praised as it is on this thread.
    Those two young lads that got beaten are in need of support from society.

This thread should be debating societies debt to those two young lads.
    Jesus Christ.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment