Register to Comment
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Ah, tis only a €100 up front they want.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I'm showing my ignorance here, but who appoints our county managers? These people seem to have quite a bit of power.
    So how do they get appointed, or (possibly) fired?
    If Mr Tierney, or any other county manager, fails to meet their targets (however loose they may be), who says so?
    This, and numerous other minor other local management failures should have us clamouring out for local government reform, at the very least.
    If we can't run ourselves even half decently on a local level, well then we'll get yet more Berties on the national side..
    Last edited by Peppermint; 18th February 2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: sounded better!

Quote Originally Posted by Peppermint View Post
    I'm showing my ignorance here, but who appoints our county managers? These people seem to have quite a bit of power.
    So how do they get appointed, or (possibly) fired?
    If Mr Tierney, or any other county manager, fails to meet their targets (however loose they may be), who says so?
    This, and numerous other minor other local management failures should have us clamouring out for local government reform, at the very least.
    If we can't run ourselves even half decently on a local level, well then we'll get yet more Berties on the national side..
    Tiereny is the City Manager for DCC, not a county manager and in receipt of a salary of €190,000, plus junkets, jollies and expenses. He is not from Dublin nor does he live in the city he is supposed to manange. Neither he nor his sidekick Lyons have any understanding of the needs of the city and citizens, they are have no empathy or committment to either yet they are paid (they do not earn) enormous salaries. In other jurisdictions individuals who work for the local authority are obliged to live within that local authority area. This should be the case in Dublin, if these clowns actually lived in the city and experienced the problems that the citizens experience, they might think more carefully when making decisions. That would naturally depend on these clowns actually having the ability to perform in these positions, there would be a need for stict accountability and adherence to clearly defined performance meaures, all of which appear to be abssent.

I have no idea how or why he and Lyons were appointed, Tierney appears to be a career public servant and is clearly used to being accountable to nobody. The arrogance of his demeanour at the recent special meeting of DCC was breathtaking, his complete refusal to answer questions was without doubt based on his confidence that he would not be called to account. The reason he is in a position to take this stand is due to the removal of powers from the elected representatives by FF, once these powers were vested in people like Tierney it was inevitable that these debacles would follow. Tierney has refused to answer the valid questions of the elected representatives and the citizens surrounding the sale of waste collection service. Among these are why was the service not put out to tender in the normal manner? Why were E&Y appointed? What exactly did E&Y do, what due diligence, how were the waste collection operators rated and ranked and on what criteria?

Tierney is also responsible for the waste of €82million of tax payers money on his other pet project, the incinerator, over 30 million of this was spent on PR.

There was some talk about the councillors passing a motion to have him removed but even if this were to happen it is unlikely that it would have any impact on his appointment.

Culture in organisations comes from the top, when we have clowns like Tierney and Lyons running the show we can hardly expect competency, good judgement and committment from the lower ranks. The DCC binmen provided an excellent service out in all weathers, collecting our rubbish on time and on the correct days. I would like to see a cost breakdown of the claim that maintaining the waste collection would cost DCC several million per year.

Surely the Controller & Auditor General needs to investigate these matters ?

Did he ever find out why the incinerator contract was signed eventhough John Gormley insisted that nothing be signed ?

Are appointments Government approved ?
    Last edited by hammer; 22nd February 2012 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terryo View Post
    ,and then refused to say how much they got for the asset sale as they had made an agreement with Greyhound not too disclose!
    This is Ireland. Judging by the total lack of transparency, I would not be surprised if they paid Greyhound to take the service (to take the arrears, and because they were only taking on customers who could change provider the next day.) . I hear their accounts do not have to be published .
    In December 2010, Greyhound adopted unlimited liability status. As a result, Greyhound will not be obliged to reveal its figures
    A thought occurs. Could this be WHY they were chosen?...to keep the whole deal secret? What guidelines were given to E&Y to help with their decision?

On the other side, nobody knows what state the conmpany's finances are in. Considering what has been happening in recent weeks, I am wondering if they cannot afford to provide the extra services. Could they have gone to the bank for a loan based on getting the tender and been told to get lost?

Regarding the E&Y contract, I would like to put my services forward for the next such contract, for a mere 100,000 Euro. I can assure the council that I am in posession of a Golden Pages.

This is not a matter for our national politicians. They are far too important to have concerns about a piffling contract about smelly waste.

Some people, normally on medication, have suggested the national politicians are out of touch with reality. This is a nasty slander on fine people, people who are struggling on a T.D’s salary of 90 to 100.00 euro a year and unlimited expenses.

Citizens who have given their time and suspended their important careers, mostly in the law, teaching and glass blowing, to give themselves up to public service. In many cases being forced to take up a position in the Dáil after the untimely death of a relative.

They must govern this ungrateful country with only the help of some 800 plus Quango’s (Ireland in 2006 had more than 800 Quango’s, 482 at national and 350 at local level, with 5,784 individual appointees, God knows how many staff, and a combined annual budget of €13 billion. A sum, by chance, not unlike that being squeezed out of us annually at the moment.)

By the by a Quango is an acronym (variously spelt out as quasi non-governmental organisation, quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisation, and quasi-autonomous national government organisation.

Then there are the sometimes civil servants, Regional councils, local councils, town and city councils, parish councils, numerous committees, tribunals to die for, resident advisors and guest advisors, experts and that crew over in the Senate that they cannot seem to get rid of.

There are after all over four million of us.

Note: That is very dependent upon airline and ferry schedules now and subject to change on an hourly basis.

This places us with a population on a par with Moldova, Liberia, Puerto Rico and Lebanon. Places that do not have the benefit of so much Government.

If Mr Kenny feels that, it is beneath him to become involved in this, frankly who can blame him. He is a very busy man.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Farrahy View Post
    This is not a matter for our national politicians. They are far too important to have concerns about a piffling contract about smelly waste.

Some people, normally on medication, have suggested the national politicians are out of touch with reality. This is a nasty slander on fine people, people who are struggling on a T.D’s salary of 90 to 100.00 euro a year and unlimited expenses.

Citizens who have given their time and suspended their important careers, mostly in the law, teaching and glass blowing, to give themselves up to public service. In many cases being forced to take up a position in the Dáil after the untimely death of a relative.

They must govern this ungrateful country with only the help of some 800 plus Quango’s (Ireland in 2006 had more than 800 Quango’s, 482 at national and 350 at local level, with 5,784 individual appointees, God knows how many staff, and a combined annual budget of €13 billion. A sum, by chance, not unlike that being squeezed out of us annually at the moment.)

By the by a Quango is an acronym (variously spelt out as quasi non-governmental organisation, quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisation, and quasi-autonomous national government organisation.

Then there are the sometimes civil servants, Regional councils, local councils, town and city councils, parish councils, numerous committees, tribunals to die for, resident advisors and guest advisors, experts and that crew over in the Senate that they cannot seem to get rid of.

There are after all over four million of us.

Note: That is very dependent upon airline and ferry schedules now and subject to change on an hourly basis.

This places us with a population on a par with Moldova, Liberia, Puerto Rico and Lebanon. Places that do not have the benefit of so much Government.

If Mr Kenny feels that, it is beneath him to become involved in this, frankly who can blame him. He is a very busy man.
    Aaw, what a sweet post. I could actually smell the sarcasm.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment