Register to Comment
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Thekinghasnoclothes View Post
    None

Perhaps a self cleaning glass wall ?
    And this is really the problem. They don't have any alternative beyond insisting there must be alternatives. No-one would have issue with residents raising valid objections but as the site itself also points out this was first talked about in 2005.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    Bottom line is the only alternative to localised flood defences is a scheme to protect the greater Dublin Bay area. You'd probably be looking at sea walls enclosing the bay with something akin to the Thames Barrier providing access. In the long term if sea levels do rise we're probably going to have to contemplate something like this but that is decades away. Money wise comparing such as scheme to what is proposed here is like trying to decide whether you want to buy a packet of Tayto or a Porsche.
    The flip side to that is the population concentration in the Dublin area. There are not that many green spaces and Clontarf is one of the few that is well kept and would be considered safe. It's particularly popular for women as it’s safer than most parks in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
    The flip side to that is the population concentration in the Dublin area. There are not that many green spaces and Clontarf is one of the few that is well kept and would be considered safe. It's particularly popular for women as it’s safer than most parks in the city.
    Put a path on top of the 11 degree slope.

That way the ladies can see the sea and the Clontarf Road and everyone will get a better view of the Ladies

So what alternative do you think they should pursue?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    I used to live in Clontaf and it's far more than just a view that's going to be lost. There's a whole amenity on the coast walk for walking, jogging, cycling etc. It's a ridiculous that we are going to spend millions diverting water from the Shannon and the enviironmental impact on the mid-west and Shannon Estuary and we haven't looked at using desalination, which would also reduce the flooding risk.
    how would desalination reduce the flooding risk?

All the relevant docs are on the Pleanala website under ref JA0008 (I can't post links yet) apart from plans which are in the EIS someone posted earlier.

They used the fast-track process which involves going straight to An Bord Pleanala and which is used for major structural projects. I don't agree with this process as it involves stealth, less notice and chance of objections than the normal local authority process and is basically used to get large scale government projects which would attract the most objections through with the least hassle. However, the residents associations were aware but they say they were led to believe that the wall would not be higher than 1m. Local politicians say the same even though there is reference to the wall being 2.5m in certain places in the Inspector's Report??

The proposal will permanently ruin the promenade in Clontarf and there must be some other way to achieve the goals sought. Once this happens there is no prospect of changing it back. The new wall will be nearer to the road than the current sea wall in most areas, the prom will not be visible from the road, making it unsafe for users and there will be a no-man's-land between the current sea wall and the new wall in some areas. How will this be policed? It will become redundant for the common user at the very least, shrinking the size of a widely used amenity.

They say the mound is necessary as there will be a watermain running underneath it which will supply 20m litres of water a day to the North East of Dublin (for which they will start charging as soon as they can, I assume). I notice there are other watermain upgrades going on in adjoining areas at the minute and I wouldn't be surprised if the interests of insurance companies and the government in upgrading the water supply with a view to charging are being stealth fast-tracked here with environmental interests and the interests of ordinary people being trampled upon.

I am aware that the planning process has been completed and that some will say it is too late to object but there is someting inherently wrong with a planning process which is designed to deny objections for projects which are the most objectionable. This process was introduced late in the Bertie era.

might be true but surely that calls for better management of parks and the wall designed in a way that doesnt have blind spots. Something like The pier in Dun Laoghaire where you walk on the inside of the wall

Quote Originally Posted by Lurka19 View Post
    All the relevant docs are on the Pleanala website under ref JA0008 (I can't post links yet) apart from plans which are in the EIS someone posted earlier.

They used the fast-track process which involves going straight to An Bord Pleanala and which is used for major structural projects. I don't agree with this process as it involves stealth, less notice and chance of objections than the normal local authority process and is basically used to get large scale government projects which would attract the most objections through with the least hassle. However, the residents associations were aware but they say they were led to believe that the wall would not be higher than 1m. Local politicians say the same even though there is reference to the wall being 2.5m in certain places in the Inspector's Report??

The proposal will permanently ruin the promenade in Clontarf and there must be some other way to achieve the goals sought. Once this happens there is no prospect of changing it back. The new wall will be nearer to the road than the current sea wall in most areas, the prom will not be visible from the road, making it unsafe for users and there will be a no-man's-land between the current sea wall and the new wall in some areas. How will this be policed? It will become redundant for the common user at the very least, shrinking the size of a widely used amenity.

They say the mound is necessary as there will be a watermain running underneath it which will supply 20m litres of water a day to the North East of Dublin (for which they will start charging as soon as they can, I assume). I notice there are other watermain upgrades going on in adjoining areas at the minute and I wouldn't be surprised if the interests of insurance companies and the government in upgrading the water supply with a view to charging are being stealth fast-tracked here with environmental interests and the interests of ordinary people being trampled upon.

I am aware that the planning process has been completed and that some will say it is too late to object but there is someting inherently wrong with a planning process which is designed to deny objections for projects which are the most objectionable. This process was introduced late in the Bertie era.

Have you looked at the drawings at pages 18,19,20,21,22, on the EIS

link provided in early posts?

The proposal is for an 11degree slope to a levy with grass on both slopes!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    Desalination would reduce flooding risk? I think it's safe to assume you're not an engineer.
    Surely taking water out of Dublin Bay would lower the water level. Yes, I'm aware that you get a salty residue but would the lower water level reduce flooding risk?

Quote Originally Posted by Lurka19 View Post

The link
    Pleanála: JA0008: ()
    I realise that it was fast-tracked but that doc is from 2008. What have the residents been up to in the meantime?

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment