Register to Comment
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Is Temple Bar a failure?

Frank McDonald certainly thinks so: Temple Bar uncovered - The Irish Times - Sat, Jul 02, 2011

And I agree with him. I remember the agreeable Temple Bar of the mid-90s before the superpub phenomenon and stag/hen nights took over. Although there are some nice new buildings in there and a couple of decent culture-related institutions, IMO Temple Bar is now little more than a glorified property punt and a superpub license to print money. I don't understand how anyone would want to settle there as a resident.

I remember an interview with Laura McGahy back in the day in which she expressed the desire to see Temple Bar become something like Kreuzberg. Well, I knew Kreuzberg, and Temple Bar is no Kreuzberg (apologies to Lloyd Bentsen). It's little more than a square mile for corralling tourists into.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

it's not really a residential area though. I think it's nice. McDonald is an old fuddy duddy, and he's rapidly becoming a buzz kill

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    it's not really a residential area though. I think it's nice. McDonald is an old fuddy duddy, and he's rapidly becoming a buzz kill
    Some people do live there.
    There is an hour of relative silence each night at about 4am in between the spilling out of the pubs and the emergence of the big street-cleaners.

Define failure. It is a failure if you think it should be a lovely residential area but it's the city center. It is supposed to be hustle and bustle. I think the place has a good vibe to it. It's like everywhere in the world . it has it's bad points. Dublin needs temple bar if the truth be told.Why on earth would any young people darken Dublin's door for a holiday if it wasn't there? If you want a quiet drink there are plenty of places to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    It's definitely not any more. But originally it was actually meant to be. All this stuff about sustainable living in the city!

Some of the very first developments there were residential - e.g. the apartment conversion of the hotel on Parliament Street. The Green Building and Spranger's Yard (? - McDonald's own building) were supposed to be templates for attracting people into living in the centre again. It was expressly sold as such, and a lot of people bought apartments there as a result. In reality, they have bought into a Leicester Square-type scenario.
    Last edited by McDave; 2nd July 2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: excision of Covent Garden!!!

temple bar, my friend, is no covent garden.......

its a great disappointment...

Quote Originally Posted by drjimryan2 View Post
    temple bar, my friend, is no covent garden.......

Its a great disappointment...
    +1

Its a commercial success but in reality if that's the jewel in the crowun in Dub-a-lin then the city has problems as a tourist destination unless its hens & stags & drunken groups we're after ...

As for Covent Garden analogy - if you include the streets nearby including Grafton & Wicklow Sts then it perhaps is closer to Covent Garden than one might think (those statue "performers" included)

Quote Originally Posted by McDave View Post
    In reality, they have bought into a Covent Garden-type scenario.
    McDave, with even more apologies to Lloyd Bentsen and secondary apologies to yourself, I knew Covent Garden, and Temple Bar is no Covent garden!

I still have very fond memories of the area when it was a run-down dump that was home to the Granary, the Project, the Alchemist's Head bookshop, a few small pubs, and (on a good night) more weird and interesting characters than you could shake two sticks at.
    Last edited by Mitsui2; 2nd July 2011 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post
    Its a commercial success but in reality if that's the jewel in the crowun in Dub-a-lin then the city has problems as a tourist destination unless its hens & stags & drunken groups we're after ...
    Yes. When you see the sheer weight of alcohol on offer in Temple Bar, it's obvious that that's what Dublin understands by culture. It also makes you wonder why Ireland always chooses to attach itself to the Guinness beer brand every time a major visitor comes to town. I thought it was a bit undignified to make Queen Elizabeth stand at a bar watching a barman pull a pint.

I think it would be better by far to radically change the tone in Temple Bar. A good start would be Jimmy Deenihan's suggestion to turn BOI College Green into a literature museum/centre. Let that set the tone. The Open Culture night was a fantastic advertisement for what goes on in this city culturally outside of boozing. That's what we should be building on.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment