Register to Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Lord Laird to stand in Donegal NE

What people think of Lord Laird Artigarvan running in the election in Donegal? Was an article about it in Indo today. Would have written this post in Ulster Scots but its not an official EU language so whats the point....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Re: Lord Laird to stand in Donegal NE

Quote Originally Posted by McCracken_07
    What people think of Lord Laird Artigarvan running in the election in Donegal? Was an article about it in Indo today. Would have written this post in Ulster Scots but its not an official EU language so whats the point....
    We would still have understood ya!!! Lard Laird running may hinder FG as they have historically received most of the Protestant vote in Donegal.

I'd imagine his running would almost guarentee a seat for SF... and make Donegal a really interesting constituency to watch out for

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny
    We would still have understood ya!!! Lard Laird running may hinder FG as they have historically received most of the Protestant vote in Donegal.
    I doubt much, if any votes would seep to him from FG - The guy comes across as a raving lunatic on political matters, although he seems like a pleasant enough person on an individual basis.

The Presb. community in Donegal are really pissed off with FG. Apparently, there's some hall that they had a long term lease on for a nominal rent, that has since passed to a prominent member of FG in a will, who now wants to charge them market rates.

I note also that Andy 'The Bull' McSharry has decided to stand in Sligo-North Leitrim. FG recently had a think-in Sligo, as part of which Jimmy Deenihan and a few others FG big shots had their picture taken with The Bull.

Nice to see the FG Spokesperson for Tourism brown-nosing a man who was convicted and jailed for assaulting tourists.

I expect that protestant voters will decline Lord Laird's invitation to become a self proclaimed "oppressed" minority.

Protestants in border counties have played a valuable role in making this State a viable and prosperous country. I am sure they will continue to do so.

"Lord" Artigarvan

He would be just John Laird on the ballot paper as far as I know.

That's my part of the country. I can confidently predict he'll get about 100 votes, and 73 of them will be people taking the piss.

As White Horse said (my God, we've found something to agree on!) Protestants in the border counties are valued and well-integrated pillars of the community and play a full and active role in local community life. They are, simply, citizens like any other. They'll listen politely to Lordy Lordy's ravings, then quietly decline this "opportunity" to wall themselves off in a corner MOPEing.

Here is an example of how LL is in touch with the most pressing issues

11 Dec 2006 : Column WA173

Stone of Destiny
    Lord Laird asked Her Majesty's Government:

In what circumstances the Stone of Destiny would return to London for ceremonial purposes; and whether there are any plans for such a return.[HL442]

Lord Davies of Oldham: The Stone of Destiny will return to London for the next coronation, after which it will be returned to Scotland.

DNE is going to be a very exciting election this year so why not add Laird Laird to the mix for some light relief to the FF, Real FF, can't believe hes still in FF, FG, Continuity FG, PSF, battle?

BTW where did this rumour come from?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment