Register to Comment
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cactusflower View Post
    Its in the rule book, therefore its O.K. ?
    Absolutely, I have no problem with it. I sleep easier at night knowing our lads are out there!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

How can the minister possibly believe that it is possible for a soldier to serve in a warzone and be safe, surely that is an insult to the trade of soldiering

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    Isn't that interesting. That makes the triple-lock into a joke and proves what we all know anyway. The main parties understand that a military commitment is part of the price of EU membership and the opposition of the Irish people has to be overcome by stealth.

Now, I'm perfectly willing to support the fight against the Taliban savages and I don't support neutrality as a policy. We were neutral on Hitler and Stalin and I don't think that's much to be proud of. But let's debate it honestly and openly.
    The “triple-lock” is a joke any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunlin3 View Post
    Absolutely, I have no problem with it. I sleep easier at night knowing our lads are out there!
    Yes, all 7 of them.

Should we pull them out before or after they count the votes in their election?

Quote Originally Posted by liamfoley View Post
    Should we pull them out before or after they count the votes in their election?
    Why? In case they get hurt?? They're experienced soldiers - you don't get on a small deployment to Afghanistan if you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by code twinkle View Post
    Agree with the sentiment but in actual fact now the ISAF force is a "multinational peacekeeping force...under a UN mandate but the soldiers [do] not wear blue berets." The ISAF was going in anyway and in fact AFAIK the UN mandate followed the decision to deploy - nonetheless once it has UN sanction, why the peacekeepers aren't wearing berets is another question, it obviously undermines the, IMO, charade that it is in fact a UN force. With such a grey legal position over this force, Horgan would appear to be correct in stating the triple lock is a load of bull.
    I was in the Former Yugoslavia in the mid '90s wearing a UN Beret while thousands got slaughered in Sebrinica. Fat lot of good that did. The UN Beret is a tainted item in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by fergalr View Post
    Why? In case they get hurt?? They're experienced soldiers - you don't get on a small deployment to Afghanistan if you're not.
    So why do you think we should take part in this military action?

What do you think it is for, and why should Irish people be there?

Well done to Dr Horgan for writing this letter... Its interesting, I have been writing about this issue on P.ie myself in recent days...

So lets do what Tradcat has offered... Discuss this issue in fairness and honesty...

Today we wake up to the news that there have been "fair and free" elections in Afghanistan... Its like having elections in Soviet occupied Poland after world war 2... It has been 8 years of a puppet administration of Afghanistan (replacing a previous puppet government of Taliban)... yet Afghanistan remains the 4th poorest country in the world... What has NATO led by the USA and UK done for Afghanistan? Warlords remain in key positions... endemic corruption amongst the ruling elite... massive increase in poppy production... Bombing "mistakes" by the Yanks and the Brits that kill hundreds of Afghans on a regular basis... Rediculous laws to starve women if they refuse sex to their husbands... All with the blessing of UN and ISAF and NATO and USA and UK and all sorts of useless NGOs that have not been able to make an ounce of improvement in the miserable lives of ordinary Afghans...

and dont be surprised that the elections are being broadcasted by the "free and balanced" media here in the west... The western governments particularly the US and UK are trying to show to their people that all the poor fools who died for queen and country sacrificed their lives for a great purpose... its such a tragedy... The fools who died... many of them had nt even reached the age of 20!!!

I ll write more on this topic once I have time... but remember this... This war is not about the Taliban... Its not about improving Afghanistan... Its about Afghanistan's geography and its strategic importance... For Ireland to participate in such oppression is shameful and one hopes that the voices of reason shall become louder forcing our government here to reconsider putting Irish troops for the service of colonialists and imperialists... Seven Soldiers? It should NOT even be ONE...

Quote Originally Posted by cactusflower View Post
    So why do you think we should take part in this military action?

What do you think it is for, and why should Irish people be there?
    Always happy to oblige you, comrade

I am not entirely sure, but I believe our servicemen are there because of their experience with roadside bombs and other tricks of the IRA's old trade. The Irish Army is one of the most experienced in the world when it comes to this sort of thing.

Irish experience a vital part of skills to counter DIY bombs - The Irish Times - Fri, Oct 24, 2008

In this war of attrition, hundreds of Nato troops have died in non-hostile incidents, mostly vehicle accidents and suicides in remote forward-operating bases over the last seven years.

Against this background, the US has set up a group to try to devise a way of countering IEDs and has sought Irish assistance.

At present, there is one Defence Forces officer - at the rank of lieutenant colonel - attached to an IED analysis cell at the Nato-led international force's Kabul headquarters. He is there because of what Irish ordnance officers learned during the Troubles and also through Irish peacekeeping activities with Unifil in south Lebanon. Because of this experience, Irish ordnance officers are considered world experts in the development of IED countermeasures.
    Intelligence gathering and education are central to ISAF's campaign to reduce the current surge in casualties of IEDs.

As part of this effort, two senior Irish officers are working in the operations section of the ISAF's headquarters in Kabul. One of them is tasked with monitoring and updating force protection measures throughout ISAF - with particular emphasis on those contributing nations, such as the US, France and Britain, whose soldiers have been the victims of IED attacks.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment