Register to Comment
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 238
Like Tree137Likes
  1. #211
    Mercurial Mercurial is offline
    Mercurial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    94,174

    Cool.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #212
    valamhic valamhic is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15,686

    We have spending on climate change and more to come. Check out the Irish energy blog
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #213
    RodShaft RodShaft is offline
    RodShaft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    9,573

    Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    You mentioned terrorism as a threat.

    "In the event of terrorist attacks [by air], aircraft transponders are routinely turned off or disabled, rendering them invisible. In such circumstances, Ireland is one of the only states in the European Union which cannot ‘see’ into its airspace by way of primary radar."

    Tom Clonan: Why it's time to have an open and honest debate about our neutrality

    We'll never match the big countries but that's no excuse for the current state of prostration.
    It kinda is.

    Why do we have an army at all?

    In essence we need coastguard/rescue and civil defence type services. If we want to spend a tiny amount on top for toy guns I'll live with that, but I'd rather we didn't even do that.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #214
    Wascurito Wascurito is offline
    Wascurito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    7,157

    Quote Originally Posted by RodShaft View Post
    It kinda is.

    Why do we have an army at all?

    In essence we need coastguard/rescue and civil defence type services. If we want to spend a tiny amount on top for toy guns I'll live with that, but I'd rather we didn't even do that.
    Why are you asking the question? I'm not going to repeat arguments already given in this thread unless you have some new point to make.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #215
    idaworldbeaters idaworldbeaters is offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,751

    Quote Originally Posted by RodShaft View Post
    It kinda is.

    Why do we have an army at all?

    In essence we need coastguard/rescue and civil defence type services. If we want to spend a tiny amount on top for toy guns I'll live with that, but I'd rather we didn't even do that.
    Because the 6 counties might kick off. As in 68. Jack Lynch "idly by" speech while our people were being battered by the RUC in Derry. Came very close to invading the 6. Couldn't do that without an army. James Callaghan , then Home Sec. said at the time that "wherever the British and Irish Army meets will be the new border". So Derry City and part of Co Derry , all of Fermanagh and Tyrone, S. Down and S Armagh would now be in the ROI, had Jack not "bottled it " as the Cockneys say. That is why we have an army. And why we need it. No, we could not resist the Russians but we could deal with a bunch of brainless loyalists. And you forgot "aid to the civil power". Look it up.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #216
    sparky42 sparky42 is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,418

    Quote Originally Posted by idaworldbeaters View Post
    Because the 6 counties might kick off. As in 68. Jack Lynch "idly by" speech while our people were being battered by the RUC in Derry. Came very close to invading the 6. Couldn't do that without an army. James Callaghan , then Home Sec. said at the time that "wherever the British and Irish Army meets will be the new border". So Derry City and part of Co Derry , all of Fermanagh and Tyrone, S. Down and S Armagh would now be in the ROI, had Jack not "bottled it " as the Cockneys say. That is why we have an army. And why we need it. No, we could not resist the Russians but we could deal with a bunch of brainless loyalists. And you forgot "aid to the civil power". Look it up.
    There was zero chance of any of that and any rational look at the forces would explain that to a child, if we'd moved North in 68 all we'd have is a lot of dead DF troops and most likely a full forced movement of Catholics out of NI. The British Army would win without even trying.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #217
    NMunsterman NMunsterman is online now

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,942

    Quote Originally Posted by sparky42 View Post
    There was zero chance of any of that and any rational look at the forces would explain that to a child, if we'd moved North in 68 all we'd have is a lot of dead DF troops and most likely a full forced movement of Catholics out of NI. The British Army would win without even trying.
    Yep - in addition, any move North by the Irish Army would have been an attack on NATO territory.
    It would have been as realistic as Finland trying to militarily take back Karelia from Russia/Soviet Union.

    Even if we had tooled up it was always a non-runner.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #218
    idaworldbeaters idaworldbeaters is offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,751

    Quote Originally Posted by sparky42 View Post
    There was zero chance of any of that and any rational look at the forces would explain that to a child, if we'd moved North in 68 all we'd have is a lot of dead DF troops and most likely a full forced movement of Catholics out of NI. The British Army would win without even trying.
    Gosh do you folk actually ever read any history? It was very , very close indeed. There would obviously have been no conflict with the Brits. They were actually happy to accept the point of meeting as the new border. There would not have been a war between brit and Irish. Callaghan clearly states this. I have actually taught history to 10 year olds. It was easier than teaching it to you folk!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #219
    sparky42 sparky42 is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,418

    Quote Originally Posted by idaworldbeaters View Post
    Gosh do you folk actually ever read any history? It was very , very close indeed. There would obviously have been no conflict with the Brits. They were actually happy to accept the point of meeting as the new border. There would not have been a war between brit and Irish. Callaghan clearly states this. I have actually taught history to 10 year olds. It was easier than teaching it to you folk!
    No British PM or political party would survive what you are suggesting and that's just basic fact, it was never "close".
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #220
    Sweet Darling Sweet Darling is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,433

    Quote Originally Posted by idaworldbeaters View Post
    Gosh do you folk actually ever read any history? It was very , very close indeed. There would obviously have been no conflict with the Brits. They were actually happy to accept the point of meeting as the new border. There would not have been a war between brit and Irish. Callaghan clearly states this. I have actually taught history to 10 year olds. It was easier than teaching it to you folk!
    10 year olds know no better.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment