Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    For those struggling with the term.
    neutrality
    njuːˈtralɪti/
    noun
    noun: neutrality
    the state of not supporting or helping either side in a conflict, disagreement, etc.; impartiality
    Switzerland is neutral and has a decent enough capability... or at least a lot better than ours although I doubt they'd last long up against Russia...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Sometime syou just have to let one go...I think this is one.

neutrality
    njuːˈtralɪti/
    noun
    the state of not supporting or helping either side in a conflict, disagreement, etc.; impartiality
    Ah but the Irish version of thon is helping both sides, as yez did in the emergency and the troubles...

neutrality
    njuːˈtralɪti/
    noun
    Indeed. So maintaining a reasonable defence capability is not at all incompatible with neutrality.

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    Ah but the Irish version of thon is helping both sides, as yez did in the emergency and the troubles...
    You'll have to throw juicier bait than that.

Come Brexit, we'll need to protect Rockall.

Who owns Rockall? The history of the Atlantic dispute between Ireland and the UK

I think we go the Chinese route and turn it into an aircraft carrier..

Photos reveal China’s South China Sea island fortresses are complete
    https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...47a436594c1530

I think we need to be very honest about this. Ireland's defence spending/policy reflects closely what I would call the 'Oirish' national personality - delusion, childish bravado, a sense of entitlement, lack of real principles, scrounging, etc, etc. It comes from the same stable as the attitude of some Irish Nationalists to The EU, rhetorically proud patriots whilst bowing the knee at every opportunity and the pathetic sight of an Irish 'Nationalist' living in Britain screaming 'Brits out of Ireland'. Not very edifying to say the least.

A policy of neutrality is essentially one of independence from other state actors particularly with regards defence. This policy of 'defence isolationism' has led to neutral states being required to look after their own defence ironically often requiring a higher defence spending than states in defence unions such as NATO. Traditional European neutral states such as Switzerland and Sweden had thus been forced to rely upon indigenous defence industry, Saab and Bofors in Sweden for example.
    For all of our talk of neutrality and independence we are possibly the most reliant European state on neighbouring nations because of our lack of defence spending which has led to a lack of capability in most areas but in particular our airspace. We are codding ourselves when we talk of independence and sovereignty precisely because of our head in sand policy with regards defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    Andy Storey (a board member of a group Action called from Ireland) has a bee in his bonnet about Irish defence spending. We should be spending less, sez Andy....because neutrality.

I've never understood Irish neutrality. It never seemed to be anything more than a overly pious inability to deal with the reality that the world is still a nasty place. Our defence spending is by far the lowest in the EU as a percentage of GDP but other notable neutrals such as Switzerland, Sweden, Finland and Austria maintain their neutrality while spending far more than we do.

No-one has ever really defined what Irish neutrality means and a good start for those who advocate it would be to figure out in their own heads what precisely they're advocating for. When they do that, they might explain how spending money on our defence forces makes us less "neutral".

DUBLIN INQUIRER: NEUTRAL IRELAND SHOULDN’T BE INCREASING MILITARY SPENDING
    Our neutrality is pious humbug of the type beloved by academics, journalists, loony lefties and assorted hippies. The idea that one can pontificate about neutrality while miles from the action must be one that grates with some of our EU friends who are in the firing line.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishObserver View Post
    I think we need to be very honest about this. Ireland's defence spending/policy reflects closely what I would call the 'Oirish' national personality - delusion, childish bravado, a sense of entitlement, lack of real principles, scrounging, etc, etc. It comes from the same stable as the attitude of some Irish Nationalists to The EU, rhetorically proud patriots whilst bowing the knee at every opportunity and the pathetic sight of an Irish 'Nationalist' living in Britain screaming 'Brits out of Ireland'. Not very edifying to say the least.
    A lot in that post is true.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment