Register to Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Should the Naval Service take part in Arms Fairs? - or whatever floats your boat..

It seems some Snowflakes are all at sea over one of our ships LÉ Samuel Becket being sent to show the Flag in London Docks in order to parade not its hardware (of which it has little) but its software features:

Defence Forces chiefs have defended the decision to send the LÉ Samuel Beckett to the world's biggest arms fair.

The naval vessel’s presence at the controversial Defence and Security Equipment International (DSEI) fair in London has sparked anger among anti-war activists.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017...amuel-beckett/

I mean its not exactly equipped with Cruise Missiles or anything so its hard to see what there is that much to get upset about really

But then Snowflakes tend to do just that!

Edward Horgan, of the Irish Anti-War Movement and a United Nations elections' inspector, said an Irish Naval Service vessel's presence in the world's biggest arms fair was a misuse.

"It is completely inappropriate for the Irish Defence Forces to be involved in any way in this arms fair, or in the international arms market that is notorious for corruption," he said.

No me neither

Perhaps Mr Ed should just take up a Hobby (Model Boats?)

- or get a girlfriend or sumitt ....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Get in.
    Steal advanced tech from other nations.
    Sail back home.
    ?????
    Profit.

I'm not sure if this qualifies for a non-issue but it certainly comes close.

I've no issue with this at all, in fact I would hope that the DF/DOD has people there anyway given some of the procurement projects coming (MRV/Peacock replacement/CASA...)

I do wish these "PANA" twats would shut up!

I'm surprised that this thread isn't doing better.

I mean....
    "With more than 8,000 Irish citizens homeless, we cannot afford to waste precious resources supporting the corrupt international arms industries."
    - Edward Horgan

Quote Originally Posted by sparky42 View Post
    I've no issue with this at all, in fact I would hope that the DF/DOD has people there anyway given some of the procurement projects coming (MRV/Peacock replacement/CASA...)

I do wish these "PANA" twats would shut up!
    According to Roger Cole (c. 1992. 1997, 2002 and 2008), we should all have been conscripted into a vast international EU/NATO army by now.

Naval Warfare is changing at a rapid rate of knots...

Even the Royal Navy is going full steam ahead with the latest technologies to keep up with the Joneses ......

British warships are to employ a voice-controlled system along the lines of Apple’s Siri assistant, the first sea lord, Adm Sir Philip Jones, has said at the opening of one of the biggest arms fairs in the world.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...stem-like-siri

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Naval Warfare is changing at a rapid rate of knots...

Even the Royal Navy is going full steam ahead with the latest technologies to keep up with the Joneses ......

British warships are to employ a voice-controlled system along the lines of Apple’s Siri assistant, the first sea lord, Adm Sir Philip Jones, has said at the opening of one of the biggest arms fairs in the world.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...stem-like-siri
    It is important that our defense forces attempt with their very limited budget to keep abreast with modern developments and interact with other Dfs.
    In the case of the naval service which has responsibility to police a vast area this is extremely important. I did not hear of PANA complaining when the navy had to patrol in ton class minesweepers that were tiny little uncomfortable things totally unsuited to the Atlantic ( I spent a very sea sick day and night in one) . Or before my time in corvettes that were well passed their life and should have been scrapped. BTW the govt. should also order the navy out of the Med.
    The arms business is indeed a potentially lucrative one and I would see no harm in Ireland developing an industry like our friends peace loving Sweden or Switzerland to create jobs at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    I'm surprised that this thread isn't doing better.

I mean....
    "With more than 8,000 Irish citizens homeless, we cannot afford to waste precious resources supporting the corrupt international arms industries."
    - Edward Horgan
    He seems to be suggesting we somehow weaponise the 8000 homeless people al la iron man 3, this saving money on foreign manufactured guns and solving the homelessness crisis? That's unconscionable. This chap needs to be held to account.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post

It seems some Snowflakes are all at sea over one of our ships LÉ Samuel Becket being sent to show the Flag in London Docks in order to parade not its hardware (of which it has little) but its software features:

Defence Forces chiefs have defended the decision to send the LÉ Samuel Beckett to the world's biggest arms fair.

The naval vessel’s presence at the controversial Defence and Security Equipment International (DSEI) fair in London has sparked anger among anti-war activists.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017...amuel-beckett/

I mean its not exactly equipped with Cruise Missiles or anything so its hard to see what there is that much to get upset about really

But then Snowflakes tend to do just that!

Edward Horgan, of the Irish Anti-War Movement and a United Nations elections' inspector, said an Irish Naval Service vessel's presence in the world's biggest arms fair was a misuse.

"It is completely inappropriate for the Irish Defence Forces to be involved in any way in this arms fair, or in the international arms market that is notorious for corruption," he said.

No me neither

Perhaps Mr Ed should just take up a Hobby (Model Boats?)

- or get a girlfriend or sumitt ....
    The real whinge should be the state of the armed forces now. It's the lack of personnel equipped to do basics such as support search and rescue, plus the fact that we have to borrow to keep the lights on. YET, light weights in the whole arms/defence industry as we are, we still feel the urge to display our dull, crappy plumage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment