Register to Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Quote Originally Posted by madmullah View Post
    It is important that our defense forces attempt with their very limited budget to keep abreast with modern developments and interact with other Dfs.
    In the case of the naval service which has responsibility to police a vast area this is extremely important. I did not hear of PANA complaining when the navy had to patrol in ton class minesweepers that were tiny little uncomfortable things totally unsuited to the Atlantic ( I spent a very sea sick day and night in one) . Or before my time in corvettes that were well passed their life and should have been scrapped. BTW the govt. should also order the navy out of the Med.
    The arms business is indeed a potentially lucrative one and I would see no harm in Ireland developing an industry like our friends peace loving Sweden or Switzerland to create jobs at home.
    Wouldn't showing them how utterly sh1t our defences are pose a risk to national security?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Emm. They're part of our armed forces. Where does one buy arms?

In other news, Irish anti-crime activists lambast Gardaí for attending international police equipment fair.

seems harmless enough to me......

the type 31 is close in design to the Beckett, I understand

Quote Originally Posted by drjimryan2 View Post
    seems harmless enough to me......

the type 31 is close in design to the Beckett, I understand
    Same designer but much different to the Beckett, might be their idea for the MRV hull though...

Quote Originally Posted by sparky42 View Post
    Same designer but much different to the Beckett, might be their idea for the MRV hull though...
    I think its the software on the LEB that is of interest

- I am not quite sure if I read it right but perhaps this is similar to what will be on the Type 31s?

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post

It seems some Snowflakes are all at sea over one of our ships LÉ Samuel Becket being sent to show the Flag in London Docks in order to parade not its hardware (of which it has little) but its software features:

Defence Forces chiefs have defended the decision to send the LÉ Samuel Beckett to the world's biggest arms fair.

The naval vessel’s presence at the controversial Defence and Security Equipment International (DSEI) fair in London has sparked anger among anti-war activists.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017...amuel-beckett/

I mean its not exactly equipped with Cruise Missiles or anything so its hard to see what there is that much to get upset about really

But then Snowflakes tend to do just that!

Edward Horgan, of the Irish Anti-War Movement and a United Nations elections' inspector, said an Irish Naval Service vessel's presence in the world's biggest arms fair was a misuse.

"It is completely inappropriate for the Irish Defence Forces to be involved in any way in this arms fair, or in the international arms market that is notorious for corruption," he said.

No me neither

Perhaps Mr Ed should just take up a Hobby (Model Boats?)

- or get a girlfriend or sumitt ....
    What are you trying to tell us that there are no arms for sale at an international arms sale ? I would think that the objection is to the event at large there is no point to single out the Irish navey scince many other nations and organisations are also taking part. The arms aren't secluded to navel either but will also include land and air weapons. It is a little bit more than a stretch to say that missiles are for sale at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    I think its the software on the LEB that is of interest

- I am not quite sure if I read it right but perhaps this is similar to what will be on the Type 31s?
    There seems to be a couple of different stories out, you're right about the software, we seem to be the first to use it for maritime operations it seems:
    https://systematic.com/defence/news/...amuel-beckett/

However Babcock has highlighted the P60 project repeatedly in the context of their 31 bid both in the product they delieved to us and the lessons learned to keep prices low. So perhaps they did ask for one of them, it's rumoured from DSEI that BAE have basically accepted that they are out of the game, so it's Babcock, BMT and Stellar Systems offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Emm. They're part of our armed forces. Where does one buy arms?
    that depends, what do you need them for and who do you want to know about it

Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    According to Roger Cole (c. 1992. 1997, 2002 and 2008), we should all have been conscripted into a vast international EU/NATO army by now.
    We have been; some are either wilfully or plain ignorant of the fact.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment