Register to Comment
Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree325Likes

Ireland is beefing up its Military, EU Army?

Yet Again Ireland appears to be beefing up its military, the question is why?

Not long ago many claimed that the lisbon treaty was the first step to creating a EU army that would strip Ireland of its neutrality and force us into a European Army. At the time many laughed at the idea but slowly it looks like we are heading in that direction.

However recently the Irish government have been beefing up our military capability, it appears that our Naval fleet is so old that we must purchase Three new ships costing around €54 million each are needed to combat the huge drug problem off our shores and the ever increrasing problem of people stealing Europe`s fish.

The new vessel will be identical to the LÉ Samuel Beckett

Today we now learn that our missile defense system, ( I didn't even know we had one) needs upgrading to the tune of €4 million.

The total cost now for three ships and missile defense upgrades runs at over €166 Million.

Why are we at a time of huge austerity on the people of this nation spending €166 million beefing up our military?

EU requirements as part of a European Super Army?

Only time will tell, but it certainly looks as if Ireland is building a far improved defense force, the question is what do we need defending from?

Last edited by Casstiel; 12th June 2014 at 02:34 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

If you think 3 fishery patrol vessels and a simple air defense system is beefing up our military then you are very naive.
    Seriously we have a tiny military thanks to both geography and other countries acting as a our buffer and taking the responsibility.

So basically the OP doesn't want an EU army and doesn't want Ireland to spend a relatively small amount on its own defences.

The maintenace, replacement and upgrading of miltary equiment is hardly "beefing up".

The defence forces have had a short range air defence missile system for some years. These missiles normally have a shelf life and will be used up in training. Eventually you have to order some new ones!

We can but hope that the DOF is taking things seriously and looking to see Ireland take its rightful place in a future European Army. Loony left micro groups have for too long dominated this debate.

"Foreign Affairs Minister Dermot Ahern".

That gave me a laugh, anyway.

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Casstiel View Post
    Yet Again Ireland appears to be beefing up its military, the question is why?

Not long ago many claimed that the lisbon treaty was the first step to creating a EU army that would strip Ireland of its neutrality and force us into a European Army. At the time many laughed at the idea but slowly it looks like we are heading in that direction.
    1.Yes, they were right to laugh. 2.No, it doesn't look like we are heading.....

OMG!! Look, a new gun, a new tank, a new ship.... Superarmy ! Conscription on the way Panic! AAaaaaaaaaarrrgggh!

You have compiled some very damning evidence there poster. There is an overwhelming case that we are becoming one of the largest military spenders on the planet and I presume we have plans for foreign acquisitions myself. I propose Denmark. I never liked them and its easy get to with those new warships. There aren't many of them and they'll likely surrender soon enough based on past experiences.

OP is dumb.

Ireland's warships were approaching 35 years old. 5 years beyond their shelf life according to 1970s technology but operating now in far worse waters.
    Presumably, OP would want our sailor's lives at risk to save a few shillings. I've been off our coast OP. It ain't a pretty job. Ensuring that the lives of those entrusted to protect our sovereignty are met by purchasing these good value ships will ensure we look after our resources for future generations.
    Sovereignty that isn't practiced is more imaginary than real.

Have the shelved the aircraft carrier?

Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment