Register to Comment
Page 74 of 92 FirstFirst ... 24 647273747576 84 ... LastLast
Like Tree321Likes

Another one? Already?

begins ignore sequence
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Dohville View Post
    I only posted it. I didn't make it.
    I know but I didn't even know it existed before you put it up, some of the other videos were good as well, like Roisin's visit to St.Petersburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Insole View Post
    Emer & Aoife aren't deathtraps? Both pounding around the coast for the last 35 years? Those second hand boats which I picked at random selling for 4million each were suitable for working off Gibraltar which is also in the Atlantic and they probably weren't airfreighted down either. But again, they were picked at random. There are many more second hand ships on the market I'm sure. We managed to get MOWAGS which we didn't need with almost every variant imaginable bar the battletaxi Icecream van, and before the Leb restarted we had more APCs than personnel overseas, but the Navy in the same period didn't manage to get sanction for new ships to safeguard the lives of it's sailors? Extraordinary!
    I never said that the OPVs are death traps. I was referring to the Norwegian FACs. Which you should have noticed if you read my post more carefully.
    I also thought that I explained why the navy was unable to get the project any priority. To put it bluntly the way the DF is structured the navy has to get any project passed by the Army and the Department. You imply that the navy is at fault. I suggest that the structure in which one arm of the DF dominates decisions to purchase capital items puts the other at a severe disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Insole View Post
    We managed to get MOWAGS which we didn't need with almost every variant imaginable bar the battletaxi Icecream van, and before the Leb restarted we had more APCs than personnel overseas, but the Navy in the same period didn't manage to get sanction for new ships to safeguard the lives of it's sailors? Extraordinary!
    I forgot to mention the Elephant in the room when it comes to the delay in bringing these VITAL vessels into service.
    McCarthy.
    http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/.../bl100vol2.pdf
    Extend the time-frame of the vessel replacement programme
    The D/Defence notes that there is a ‘requirement’ to initiate a vessel replacement programme to
    sustain the Naval Service flotilla as certain ships reach the end of their operational lifespan. In the
    current budgetary crisis, the Group recommends that this replacement programme be extended over
    a longer timeframe than initially envisaged.
    The inverted commas show a disdain for the requirement from the Group, in my opinion. It is difficult for me to understand however why the Government chose to accept this proposal while ignoring the more sensible ones of Closing Cathal Brugha, and disbanding the relic of Upper Class Ireland, the Army Equestrian School. This facility gives the sons and daughters of the wealthy Gymkana circuit the chance to continue their hobby of forcing overpriced horses to jump over assorted posts and railings, while wearing an Army Officers Uniform, and gaining the respect and privelages that comes with that uniform, without ever having to do as much as load a weapon when going on duty. Not even a sword! To top off the cloud cuckoo land in which they live, the unit employs enlisted men and women to clean up after the horses and riders, and take care of their Tack, in the way only members of the working classes can guvn'r.
    Yet these get priority in the Army Heirarchy over replacing rapidly deteriorating Patrol vessels built in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohville View Post
    I forgot to mention the Elephant in the room when it comes to the delay in bringing these VITAL vessels into service.
    McCarthy.
    http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/.../bl100vol2.pdf

The inverted commas show a disdain for the requirement from the Group, in my opinion. It is difficult for me to understand however why the Government chose to accept this proposal while ignoring the more sensible ones of Closing Cathal Brugha, and disbanding the relic of Upper Class Ireland, the Army Equestrian School. This facility gives the sons and daughters of the wealthy Gymkana circuit the chance to continue their hobby of forcing overpriced horses to jump over assorted posts and railings, while wearing an Army Officers Uniform, and gaining the respect and privelages that comes with that uniform, without ever having to do as much as load a weapon when going on duty. Not even a sword! To top off the cloud cuckoo land in which they live, the unit employs enlisted men and women to clean up after the horses and riders, and take care of their Tack, in the way only members of the working classes can guvn'r.
    Yet these get priority in the Army Heirarchy over replacing rapidly deteriorating Patrol vessels built in the 70s.
    Unfortunately the political clan have a strong connection with the horsey community and the gambling mentality that goes with it. pity they didn't focus a little more on the patch of ground that extends 200 miles west of Valentia, the black gold that is going to be coming out of the ground from deeper and deeper wells and the abundance of fish which is going to skyrocket in value over the next few years.
    Last edited by Insole; 31st August 2012 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Idont Believit View Post
    I never said that the OPVs are death traps. I was referring to the Norwegian FACs. Which you should have noticed if you read my post more carefully.
    I also thought that I explained why the navy was unable to get the project any priority. To put it bluntly the way the DF is structured the navy has to get any project passed by the Army and the Department. You imply that the navy is at fault. I suggest that the structure in which one arm of the DF dominates decisions to purchase capital items puts the other at a severe disadvantage.
    Eh, which ones did you find with the rust only held together by paint only last year? Someone down there should really grow a pair and admit that the current fleet of patrol boats is not fit for purpose. If Bus Eireann was running a fleet 34 years old, the H&S mob would have them shut down. The Navy should really be making noise about this, but all I see is you matelots defending the statusquo. It's ComicalAliesque.

The norwegian boats are fast attack boats.
    Roar out of the harbour blast something home for tea and medals.
    exciting and fun and impressive looking not actually terribly useful for fishery protection patrolling where you might want to stay at sea for more than 24hours.

Quote Originally Posted by likesfish View Post
    exciting and fun and impressive looking not actually terribly useful for fishery protection patrolling where you might want to stay at sea for more than 24hours.
    Or up to two weeks in the case of the INS.

I have always being amazed with the Irish Government and people and their attitude with anything to do with the sea. The world is full of coastal countries that harness the seas resources in order to have better lives.

We have seen our fisheries massively exploited during the Twentieth Century when thousands of our coastal young people emigrated looking for work. We were told to conserve stocks, while foreign government fishing vessels caught 95% of the fish caught off Ireland's coast.

We are now again witnessing the riffling of our hydrocarbons by multinational companies while again our young people are emigrating, because of the lack of jobs at home.

Can we successfully organise anything? The fact that our Navy has to route their requests via the top brass of the army when looking for new ships etc is proof of our wilful neglect of the bountiful resources that surround us. This at a time when the citizens of Ireland are being victimised, brutalised, robbed blind by our own Government in order to keep International Financial Buccaneers happy; and our seas continue to be quietly plundered by International Fishing and Hydrocarbon Buccaneers.

Why do we Irish people tolerate it when our leaders always bend when threatened by International Bullies?

Woe that we had not the same calibre of leaders that are in Iceland:

• There the International Financial Buccaneers are told go and have a high jump when their banks go pear shaped as a result of gambling debts
    • There they go out with trawlers and take on one of the world's Naval Powers whenever their fishing ground limits are threatened.

Maybe, it is not too late to take on the Icelandic and the minority Shell to Sea people's Spirit and fight for our rights and resources, no matter the international opposition gangs, up against us.
    Last edited by WTTR; 31st August 2012 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by likesfish View Post
    I used them to indicate that there are other options i.e. purchasing secondhand.

There feasibility as regards Fishery Protection is another matter. Then again, thinking outside the box might be a brave move for some. Winter Fleet/Summer Fleet, East Coast Fleet/West Coast Fleet?

I don't buy the argument that you need something the size of the USS Iowa for fishery protection when your subject vessel, the fisherman is operating a 20 metre fishingboat in exactly the same conditions. I'm not a subject matter expert you understand, but I see a major flaw in your excuses.
    Last edited by Insole; 31st August 2012 at 11:21 AM.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment