Register to Comment
Page 2 of 323 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree1651Likes

Just a poser to you, do any of you remember when the WEU wanted to give Ireland several Billions pounds in the early ninties to boost our forces and Dick Spring turned it down?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Eire1976 View Post
    It looks like the New Jersey class of Battleship to me.
    That's what I was thinking although it is called the Iowa class. Of which, the USS New Jersey is a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    It's a US battleship during WWII. Not sure of the exact ship.
    Ahh. It's a nice looking painting. I was on the HMS Belfast in London a couple of times which I found fascinating (I have a sea background). Spent hours on her both times. Shouldn't be too hard to find out which ship that is.... It looks like it could be a Capital Ship.

EDIT:

Just had a look. It's the Bismark....

DKM Bismarck
    The German battleship Bismarck is one of the most famous warships of the Second World War. The lead ship of her class, named after the 19th century German chancellor Otto von Bismarck, Bismarck displaced more than 50,000 tons fully loaded and was the largest warship then commissioned. Her chief claim to fame came from the Battle of the Denmark Strait in May 1941 during which the battlecruiser HMS Hood, flagship of the Home Fleet and pride of the Royal Navy, was sunk within several minutes. In response, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill issued the order to "Sink the Bismarck", spurring a relentless pursuit by the Royal Navy.

Two days later, with safer waters almost in reach, Fleet Air Arm aircraft torpedoed Bismarck and jammed her rudder, allowing heavy British units to catch up with her. In the ensuing battle on the morning of 27 May 1941, Bismarck was heavily attacked for nearly three hours before sinking.

Quote Originally Posted by rant_and_rave View Post
    They are all the exact same.

Quote Originally Posted by emulator View Post
    Ahh. It's a nice looking painting. I was on the HMS Belfast in London a couple of times which I found fascinating (I have a sea background). Spent hours on her both times. Shouldn't be too hard to find out which ship that is.... It looks like it could be a Capital Ship.

EDIT:

Just had a look. It's the Bismark....

Absolutly correct there!

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    That's what I was thinking although it is called the Iowa class. Of which, the USS New Jersey is a part of.
    I was going to write Iowa but thought the first was the New Jersey, my mistake. Must go over all my hardback books by Osprey on battleships and aircraft carriers again. Getting rusty, used to be able to name any ship on sight along with all WW2 aircraft.

The most amazing thing about the Norwegian drill is that all those guys are new recruits, maybe in a year at most.

The most amazing thing about the Norwegian drill is that all those guys are new recruits, maybe in a year at most.
    That's their full time roll, almost like out military band, but better.

Has there even been an opinion poll on NATO membership? I personally am in favour. We could offer naval facilities and air bases to the Yanks and European NATO forces. It would also bolster our military capability and give the Irish Defense Forces an opportunity to train with the best.

Just a poser to you, do any of you remember when the WEU wanted to give Ireland several Billions pounds in the early ninties to boost our forces and Dick Spring turned it down?
    Very interesting. Do you have any links or sources of information?

Page 2 of 323 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment