Register to Comment
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    Oddly enough I saw the same army personnel when I was down at St Mary's College last Monday!
    They're probably keeping a close eye on you gerhard.
    God knows why
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
    Did they have MP or PA on their armbands?
    I wondered about that.

There was something on Newstalk today about how MPs have been practising with doing stuff like speedchecks as part of their training for foreign police postings with the UN. Only half heard it but it was on foot of several calls reporting sightings of MPs in odd places. Probably related to at least some of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Aphorisms View Post
    About a month or so ago, I was walking through Rathmines and saw two Irish Army soldiers with red caps on from a distance. Automatically, I thought they were part of some special unit or whatever, but as I walked by them, they had on their backs "Military Police." They were crossing the road at traffic lights and I just assumed they were on their way back from McDonalds or wherever after their lunch.

Today, I saw them again in Rathmines, but they were on the road when you turn left at Ulster Bank at the Swan Center. It was just the two and they had the red caps on and "Military Police" on their backs. Unless they were going in the back way to the Swan Center, they must have been on patrol.

What's the story with this? Are the Irish Army doing the odd patrol now for the Guards or what? I wasn't even aware we had a military police and thought that the only time we'd need them would be when there's a state of emergency. The Irish Army must be training at the very least for military policing. But for what I ask? Just did a quick google and this came up:

Military Police Corps (Ireland) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Not for the first time I post this item- http://www.raco.ie/attachments/082_4...tarypolice.pdf

and

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    I see I'm from Newbridge. I got a bit excited thought you were too.
    Theres enough inbreeding in Newbridge as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
    Did they have MP or PA on their armbands?
    Yes! If they had MP then they were Brits! We have a conspiracy!

Quote Originally Posted by Idont Believit View Post
    You can sometimes see them on moterways operating speed cameras to check on military vehicles.
    That seems very inefficient to me as the vast immense majority of vehicles passing by would be non military.

Why can't regular speed cameras do the same job instead which has the added bonus of policing every vehicle which passes through a location instead of just one or 2 per day ?

Do military vehicles have to obey traffic laws unlike the Gardai who seem to do what they want ? In fairness to our Defence Forces I have yet to see Defence Forces personnel hypocritically taking the piss out of the state unlike the Guards who seem to do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    I see I'm from Newbridge. I got a bit excited thought you were too.

Are you Eddie Hobbs ?

Quote Originally Posted by newtoallthis View Post
    No. I'm not from Newbridge. The MPs are frequently patrolling Centra in the Curragh Camp and Newbridge at certain service stations during lunch hour. It's very routine. I imagine what the poster saw in Rathmines is the same thing. The MPs only deal with Military personnel.
    Seems a bit draconian. The Phoenix wrote ladt year about the Military Prosoceutor's office being beefed up too.

Seems a bit draconian. The Phoenix wrote ladt year about the Military Prosoceutor's office being beefed up too.
    Agree, but the military is founded and operated on the principle of discipline. It has to be enforced, no matter how draconian it may seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Aphorisms View Post
    Ah now, here. I hardly said "they're coming for my bible and my guns!"
    True but someone has to use the tin foil meme at least once a day on p.ie or the dimensional barrier holding back Yog Sothoth will decay and we will spend the rest of our lives as slaves to the outer Gods....

Oh! Do I get a tin foil hat now too....damn...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment