Register to Comment
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree10Likes

Quote Originally Posted by timhorgan View Post
    This Easter weekend many thousands of French men, women and children - along with visitors of all ages from all over the world, will be visiting the outstanding French Army Museum at Les Invalides in Paris.

There is an exposition on Franco-Irish military co-operation over the past 3 centuries running in the Museum at the moment (until 29 April) and, having the good fortune to have a morning free on a wonderful Spring day in Paris last week I was able to take a few photos of the exposition and the museum which I would like to share with you this Easter Sunday morning. As the excellent section on the French Resistance is closed for improvements until next year I have added a few photos of locations of the Resistance in Paris.

I have added 2 of my favourite military marches- neither of which is strictly Irish but either of which would be great National Anthems if we ever want to change. Can you identify both marches?. (Hint- neither of the marches have probably ever been played by an Irish military band- or even British!).

Vive La France! Vive La Republique!

Les Irlandais et la France -Exposition Les Invalides Paris 2012 - YouTube
    Enjoyed the clip but I heard three distinct pieces. The second was (I'm almost sure) St Patrick's Day played on the pipes. The last was Chant des Partisans. I'm sure I never heard the first march before (played by the brass band) but I really liked it. What is it called?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Idont Believit View Post
    Enjoyed the clip but I heard three distinct pieces. The second was (I'm almost sure) St Patrick's Day played on the pipes. The last was Chant des Partisans. I'm sure I never heard the first march before (played by the brass band) but I really liked it. What is it called?
    Quite right but it is just 2 arrangements - the first being the main March of the Armada Argentina which is an arrangment In honour of the founder of the Argentine Navy, Mayoman William Brown. I just love the arrangement.

San Patricio - En la Mañana del Día de San Patricio.

Marchas militares - "San Patricio" - YouTube

Would this not be a great National Anthem -acceptable North and South- and far better than the cringe-worthy Ireland's Call!

The second is of course, Chant des Partisans.

Le Chant des Partisans Musique du 43ème R.I. de Lille

Le Chant des Partisans Musique du 43ème R.I. de Lille - YouTube
    Last edited by timhorgan; 16th April 2012 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    No source forthcoming 3 days later, which isn't a surprise. He's a troll who posts imaginary stuff which accords with his own prejudices to annoy, and then just abandons the thread. He is a waste of time.
    I wasn't really expecting one TBH

Quite right but it is just 2 arrangements - the first being the main March of the Armada Argentina which is an arrangment In honour of the founder of the Argentine Navy, Mayoman William Brown. I just love the arrangement.

San Patricio - En la Mañana del Día de San Patricio.

Marchas militares - "San Patricio" - YouTube

Would this not be a great National Anthem -acceptable North and South- and far better than the cringe-worthy Ireland's Call!

The second is of course, Chant des Partisans.

Le Chant des Partisans Musique du 43ème R.I. de Lille

Le Chant des Partisans Musique du 43ème R.I. de Lille - YouTube
    Much obliged, Tim. I agree it would make a wonderful anthem for a United Ireland or for the Rugby team.

Thanks,MM,

Quite right, the first March is
    San Patricio- En la Mañana del Día de San Patricio.

This is the official March of the Armada Argentina - Argentine Navy and the arrangement is of course in honour of Admiral William Brown, the Irishman who founded the navy.

Chant des Partisans.

After La Marseillaise this is probably the next song most French schoolchildren know by heart. The lyrics pull no punches and it is great to hear French school choirs belting it out on Bastille day. This version - by the band of the Lille Infantry Regt.- is bit slow. This really rousing version by Mireille Mathieu is great!

Mireille Mathieu- Chant des Partisans subtitles - YouTube
    Certainly a very pretty girl
    (1967) Mireille Mathieu Les yeux d'amour - YouTube

Just a quick reminder that the Exposition on 300 years of Franco-Irish military co-operation finishes on 29 April at the French National Army Museum at Les Invalides. Les Invalides is well worth a visit at any time but if you are in Paris in the next fortnight try and find some time to visit. It is just a few minutes walk from the Louvre and the Quai d'Orsay.

Below is a 9-minute compilation I have put together if you cannot make it to the Museum.

Les Irlandais et la France -Exposition Les Invalides Paris 2012 - YouTube

Its 20 years since I visited the French National Army Museum at Les Invalides but at that time the first thing you saw upon entering was the flag of the Clancarty Regiment. Is it still there?

Quote Originally Posted by Barabus View Post
    Its 20 years since I visited the French National Army Museum at Les Invalides but at that time the first thing you saw upon entering was the flag of the Clancarty Regiment. Is it still there?
    If you mean this one - File:Rgt Berwick 1698-1781.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - (the Clancarty Regiment became part of the Berwick Regiment in 1698, according to wiki) - then it's part of the general exhibition of French military history from Louis XVI to the Franco-Prussian War. Excellent museum, already planning a return. Unfortunately, I mistimed my arrival at the exhibition mentioned in the OP, and it was closed! I've been cursing myself ever since.

No Harry I would say its a slightly earlier one than the Irish brigade one you linked. It was quite a size and from memory red crosses on a green background.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment