Register to Comment
Page 1 of 18 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Army to extend life of Styer rather than go for new weapon

I was reading this online this morning I think it was in the Sindo but I cannot find the article at the moment. The Army were going to extend the life of the Styer through to 2025 by adapting 6000 of them with modern technology at a cost of €25million. The Styer in use since 1988 is now significantly behind in technology terms the standard weapons of the likes of the US and UK. The retrofit will include new telescopic sights and a grenade launcher capability among other things.

If it was me I would be going for something like the Israeli MicroTar.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Just in time for the new arms drill...

I liked the Steyr, easy to use, train with and clean.
    The lads must be happy the slings are gone. I'll never forget the chaffed necks.

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    I was reading this online this morning I think it was in the Sindo but I cannot find the article at the moment. The Army were going to extend the life of the Styer through to 2025 by adapting 6000 of them with modern technology at a cost of €25million. The Styer in use since 1988 is now significantly behind in technology terms the standard weapons of the likes of the US and UK. The retrofit will include new telescopic sights and a grenade launcher capability among other things.

If it was me I would be going for something like the Israeli MicroTar.
    It is amazing that the Styer has not been upgraded 15 years ago with laserrangefinder sights, night vision, thermal imageing, and a grenade launcher.

Irish Army rifle to get multi-million euro upgrade - National News - Independent.ie
    THE standard rifle used by the Irish Army for over two decades is to soldier on until at least 2025 -- but it will be modernised in a multi-million euro upgrade.
    The Austrian-built Steyr Aug A1, introduced in 1988, is to undergo a revamp over three to four years to bring it into line with assault rifles used by armies like those of Britain and the United States.
    Some €3m has been allocated this year but the Department of Defence is unable to give a total figure for the programme to modernise 6,000 assault rifles.
    Enhancements to the Irish Army weapon will include a better sighting system called a Combat Optical Weapon Sight (COWS), expected to give greater magnification and some night-time capability; a grenade launcher attachment to allow it to fire 40mm grenades, and a thermal weapons sight allowing the soldier to operate better in the dark.
    "The modifications will extend the life of the Steyr out to 2025 and beyond," a department spokeswoman said.
    "Given that technical and logistical support services are in the main already in place, the rifle enhancement programme offers considerable economic advantage as against the procurement of brand new weapons."
    Some €27.5m will be spent by the Department of Defence here on purchasing defensive equipment this year, including ammunition, force protection equipment and chemical detectors.

short sighted.........so to speak!

It's a 5.56mm bullet Chucker a new optic and a grenade launcher is worth doing.
    Buying a new rifle unless they are knackered isn't worth doing.
    Buying off Israel especially if your off on holiday too Lebanon about as clever as issuing black and tan trainers

Quote Originally Posted by An-Óg-Laoch View Post
    It is amazing that the Styer has not been upgraded 15 years ago with laserrangefinder sights, night vision, thermal imageing, and a grenade launcher.
    Just as you menton it a night vision capability was mentioned as well. The Styer really is behind the times at this point, extending it to 2025 would be giving it a 40 year life span which I reckon is madness. Going for a weapon that can last for 15 years is about the best you can hope for. Just shows that the Army are not planning on fighting any battles anytime soon.

I thought the Steyr was well regarded? Bullpup design, reliable etc?

If memory serves other Defence Forces like the Aussies use it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybaii View Post
    I thought the Steyr was well regarded? Bullpup design, reliable etc?

If memory serves other Defence Forces like the Aussies use it too.
    Indeed along with Luxembourg if I'm not mistaken...

This is what our troops need along with integrated night vision range finder equipment.

XM29 OICW - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8HY4U3zwqY

Page 1 of 18 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment