Register to Comment
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Army Deafness Claims--How much was paid out??

Do ye remember the good old days when millions was paid out to soldiers who were exposed to guns being discharged?? (how terrible it mustve been for these soldiers!!)

oh how everyone chuckled at the notion of all this money being paid out!!

Now that we are faced with drastic cutbacks and barracks closures I bet these soldiers arent chuckling this morning???!!
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; 16th November 2011 at 10:46 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I don't know how much was paid out, I couldn't hear the announcement.

I'm too young to remember the details properly, but are you arguing that soldiers should put up with hearing loss/deafness? Why? I don't understand the jokey tone of the post...if it was in the regulations to have ear protection, and they didn't get ear protection, and verifiable hearing loss resulted...then what's your point?

321million altogether, apparently. Army deafness saga finally nears an end - National News - Independent.ie

And at a guess, i'd say that none of them were ever chuckling, after one of their senses was damaged.

Another example of the Irish propensity for begrudgery. Why not ask how much langers got for tripping over city flagstones or for blaming hospitals for their genetic faults.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    Do ye remember the good old days when millions was paid out to soldiers who were exposed to guns being discharged?? (how terrible it mustve been for these soldiers!!)

oh how everyone chuckled at the notion of all this money being paid out!!

Now that we are faced with drastic cutbacks and barracks closures I bet these soldiers arent chuckling this morning???!!
    Looks about 330 million. I live in the midlands, lot's of garrison towns, lots of ex-soldiers, never met one that suffered from deafness tbh...seems I never met one of the 16,000 + that claimed, they must also suffer from agoraphobia, I do know one solicitor that refused to take claims as he regarded them as complete nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    Another example of the Irish propensity for begrudgery. Why not ask how much langers got for tripping over city flagstones or for blaming hospitals for their genetic faults.
    Interesting comparison to langers and flagstones actually

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    Jaysus you won't hear anything against the boys in green.

Lets just say it made a certain Mr Boland extremely rich.

I'm no expert but i'm fairly sure that they'd have to be medically verified. Even getting a free f*cking bus pass for non-pensioners has to be verified by several doctors, if i'm not mistaken.

My father was a soldier who was affected by this.
    When I joked at the time that it was just another payout for nothing he got quite annoyed. Apparently when they went to the ranges for practice they were not allowed to wear ear protection.
    No idea what the individual payouts were.

And while there were no doubt scallies putting in false claims, it would be wrong to brush them all as frauds.

Quote Originally Posted by MaceFace View Post
    My father was a soldier who was affected by this.
    When I joked at the time that it was just another payout for nothing he got quite annoyed. Apparently when they went to the ranges for practice they were not allowed to wear ear protection.
    No idea what the individual payouts were.

And while there were no doubt scallies putting in false claims, it would be wrong to brush them all as frauds.
    I think that is the reality of it, some were deserving of compensation but methinks a whole lot jumped on the bandwagon.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment