Register to Comment
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

The unfair targeting of soldiers and their families for cutbacks.

If the planned closures of Army barracks takes place, the transfer of soldiers that would result from the closures would mean that their spouses or partners and their children would have to move house and would be unable to sell their houses without making a loss because of negative equity. Furthermore, the children are likely to suffer emotional trauma because of having to move to different schools.

It is unfair to put this burden on soldiers, who do not have the right to strike, and their families when civil servants and HSE pen-pushers are protected from this upheaval by the Croke Park Agreement. Jack O'Connor, Blair Horan and Kevin Callinan should hang their heads in shame.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Agreed. The squeeky wheel gets the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    Agreed. The squeeky wheel gets the oil.
    Your sarcasm is not lost on me. Why should soldiers and their families have to suffer when pen-pushers are kept comfortable by the CPA? People who join the Defence Forces do so to put their lives on the line to defend this country. Some of them have made the ultimate sacrifice - in the Congo and Lebanon. Civil servants' work is cushy by comparison.

I admire the men and women who commit this act of service for their country.
    They are underpaid as far as I am concerned while self serving statists are
    overpaid. Let me know what I can do to help.

Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    Your sarcasm is not lost on me. Why should soldiers and their families have to suffer when pen-pushers are kept comfortable by the CPA? People who join the Defence Forces do so to put their lives on the line to defend this country. Some of them have made the ultimate sacrifice - in the Congo and Lebanon. Civil servants' work is cushy by comparison.
    Your new found concern for public servants is heartening David. It brings a wee tear to my eye that you would be so open and have no hidden agenda here whatsoever. Bless your camoflage socks

If the planned closures of Army barracks takes place, the transfer of soldiers that would result from the closures would mean that their spouses or partners and their children would have to move house and would be unable to sell their houses without making a loss because of negative equity. Furthermore, the children are likely to suffer emotional trauma because of having to move to different schools.

It is unfair to put this burden on soldiers, who do not have the right to strike, and their families when civil servants and HSE pen-pushers are protected from this upheaval by the Croke Park Agreement. Jack O'Connor, Blair Horan and Kevin Callinan should hang their heads in shame.
    Oh please do look at me, I'm a special interest, I need protecting.

Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    Oh please do look at me, I'm a special interest, I need protecting.

Yawn.
    The closure of these barracks would mean that the cutbacks would have a more serious impact on soldiers and their families than on civil servants, i.e. moving house, inability to sell original homes because of negative equity, settling children into new schools.

Army barracks are being targetted for cutbacks simply because soldiers cannot go on strike.

The closure of these barracks would mean that the cutbacks would have a more serious impact on soldiers and their families than on civil servants, i.e. moving house, inability to sell original homes because of negative equity, settling children into new schools.

Army barracks are being targetted for cutbacks simply because soldiers cannot go on strike
    Army barracks are being targetted because they are not Essential. Just like things are being cut in the "protected" side of the Public service. I feel bad for soldiers and their families but explain to me the necessity of having a barracks in Cavan town for example?

Army barracks are being targetted for cutbacks simply because soldiers cannot go on strike.
    Army Soldiers(as distinct from armchair ones and deluded criminal terrorists) sign up knowing they will go where they are sent. Its their job.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Army barracks are being targetted because they are not Essential. Just like things are being cut in the "protected" side of the Public service. I feel bad for soldiers and their families but explain to me the necessity of having a barracks in Cavan town for example?
    Many HSE pen-pushers who are not essential are being protected. The end of the Troubles does not mean that terrorism has gone away. The Real and Continuity IRAs are still active.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment