Register to Comment
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

FFS! Soldiers in other countries move bases (and countries) on average every two years! The Irish Defence Forces have a cushy number - we don't even need an army!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

And for this very reason in other jurisdictions many member's of the forces do not become owner occupier's just in case that they do get deployed to other postings. Many live in subsidized accommodation provided by the MOD - and the only time they decide to purchase a house is when they actually leave the forces.

Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    Many HSE pen-pushers who are not essential are being protected. The end of the Troubles does not mean that terrorism has gone away. The Real and Continuity IRAs are still active.
    Which is what you really care about. I thought you might make it to page two.

Look I agree with you on this. I see waste and wasters in the PS/CS. There are probably 30,000 people who could leave the PS tomorrow and noone would notice or the slack could be taken up. As a frontline PS worker I see what a lack of resources means to the vunerable in society and it galls me to see directives come down from HR and middle upper management. I have long called for an end to 37 seperate fire services(and ancillary staff) in this country.

Croke park does protect wasters but what it also does (and this is important) is prevents wildcat strike action like you see in Greece and you will see in Italy and no doubt France soon enough. Many will leave the PS in February and hopefully if there is proper political management in place (I know!) then redeployment and efficiency can come in to play. I know some here would like a big giant battle royale where the unions are crushed in some Maggie thatcher vs Miners wet dream but that would be a disaster for EVERYONE.
    I get the feeling these people are either very young and naive as to what a general strike is or they are so idealogically single minded that they would happily let the country go belly up so that they could be the last man standing on the rubble.

Politics like so much in life is about compromise and although you(or even I) might not like aspects of the Croke Park deal it is a compromise that will hold the country together for another while. The way things are going thats all we can ask for.

Soldiers have it okay... they can retire at 40 odd and get their pensions.
    No-one else , not even politicians get to make that claim.

Maybe they'd be better off reviewing that situation rather than closing barracks down.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Which is what you really care about. I thought you might make it to page two.

Look I agree with you on this. I see waste and wasters in the PS/CS. There are probably 30,000 people who could leave the PS tomorrow and noone would notice or the slack could be taken up. As a frontline PS worker I see what a lack of resources means to the vunerable in society and it galls me to see directives come down from HR and middle upper management. I have long called for an end to 37 seperate fire services(and ancillary staff) in this country.
    Then why did the frontline PS unions accept the CPA? Why did they not gather public support for a campaign against IMPACT and SIPTU, which protect the pen pushers? I believe that the public would be sympathetic to such a campaign. Kevin Callinan and Jack O'Connor are to this country what Gadaffi and Mubarak are to North Africa. In the case of nurses, their interests are supposed to be defended by the INMO. However, the INMO lets pen-pushers trample on nurses' interests.

Your sarcasm is not lost on me. Why should soldiers and their families have to suffer when pen-pushers are kept comfortable by the CPA? People who join the Defence Forces do so to put their lives on the line to defend this country. Some of them have made the ultimate sacrifice - in the Congo and Lebanon. Civil servants' work is cushy by comparison.
    You know that the vast majority of DF personnel do more pen pushing than they do fighting in the Congo and the Lebanon?

Then why did the frontline PS unions accept the CPA? Why did they not gather public support for a campaign against IMPACT and SIPTU, which protect the pen pushers? I believe that the public would be sympathetic to such a campaign. Kevin Callinan and Jack O'Connor are to this country what Gadaffi and Mubarak are to North Africa. In the case of nurses, their interests are supposed to be defended by the INMO. However, the INMO lets pen-pushers trample on nurses' interests.
    Actually we did. We set up IFESA as we had had enough of SIPTU and IMPACT. Guess what. The government wont recognise it and neither will the management of the councils.

Ireland?s emergency service workers abandon SIPTU union

Bascially, you have a hidden agenda here. The above shows what you really want to say. Nothing to do with soldiers. You use that as a smoke screen.

Quote Originally Posted by sheehan View Post
    Bascially, you have a hidden agenda here. The above shows what you really want to say. Nothing to do with soldiers. You use that as a smoke screen.
    Pretty thin smoke screen at that

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post

I know some here would like a big giant battle royale where the unions are crushed in some Maggie thatcher vs Miners wet dream but that would be a disaster for .
    .... The Unions
    People have to move to keep/get jobs- fact of life.
    We don't need 1/4 of the army we have, we have to send off crews to other countries to keep the peace as there is feck all here for them to do bar mind a the bank vans(which should be paid for by the banks) and help clean up snow when dublin gets 1/2 inch of snow and the world stops.

Just like the illfated decentralisation how horrible and unfair people having to leave Dublin, shock horror cant be, sure Ireland doesn't exist outside the M50.
    Its about time that civil servants came into the real world.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment