Register to Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Quote Originally Posted by antares View Post
    I would assume that the troops stationed there carry out duties other than just artillery training. Same as other arty units around the country. Other Corps units as well....
    How many of those duties only exist because Mullingar exists? I presume for example there are a large number on guard duties within the barracks, not to mention the numerous admin functions that a building of that size requires.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Mor View Post
    Did not Bertie proclaim at FF Ard Fheiseanna and in the US "Ireland is at peace ". Maybe now it is in pieces !
    The curse of the Bert.
    He declared Dubai to be an economic success two days before it flopped.
    Then there were his assessments about "grote", and jobs from the Lisbon Treaty....

Quote Originally Posted by goosebump View Post
    The standard defense of every busybody up and down the country who thinks their parish is some autonomous republic which should have its own health service, university, airport, motorway and in this case, World War II era artillery regiment.
    Yes, I know that...hence the ironic emoticon I posted. However the substantive bit of the post was about whether or not there was a real saving to be had. In all fairness though it would appear that the proposal came from the DF themselves whom I would trust way and beyond the Dept of Finance.

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    Yes, I know that...hence the ironic emoticon I posted. However the substantive bit of the post was about whether or not there was a real saving to be had. In all fairness though it would appear that the proposal came from the DF themselves whom I would trust way and beyond the Dept of Finance.
    You can rest assured the proposal did not emanate from the army.

The proposal may have emanated from the DF civil servant class anxious to brown nose defence minister Alan Shatter [must be careful to use an "a" instead of an "i"].

Finally any decision to close army barracks is soley one for the minister for defence .

If Penrose is saying the army are at fault it just shows you how small a brain he is supposed to have.

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    The Army top brass would surely make a list of their least useful outposts if the DoD decided down the road it wanted to dispose of any. They would see it from an operational viewpoint, than from a purely financial one.

Willie attended a protest march in Mullingar today which called for the retention of Mullingar Barracks. Addressing the crowd he assured those present that the issue 'hadn't come before cabinet yet - probably because I'm there'.

There could be trouble ahead...

Protest over future of Mullingar army barracks - RT News

Quote Originally Posted by LDF View Post
    Willie attended a protest march in Mullingar today which called for the retention of Mullingar Barracks. Addressing the crowd he assured those present that the issue 'hadn't come before cabinet yet - probably because I'm there'.

There could be trouble ahead...

Protest over future of Mullingar army barracks - RT News
    In all his comments he has given no indication of resigning if it is closed - he knows what side his bread is buttered does Willie. There will be decisions like this in every area over the next 3 years. What I found most galling was the FF TD Robert Troy seeing as it was his party that brought us here.

I think you are been very hard on willie. He is a politian who toped the poll in last election. Resigning won't change anything that was tried by George Lee. Wille should stand with thoes who elected him. Closing Barracks effects small towns like mullingar. Making savings like this is very short sighted. You still have they same number of soliders and equipment. these then move to a different Barracks which has to be upgraded. One town profits from anothers loss. The property that is left is overpriced by dept of defence and most buildings are protected. reducing chance of site getting planning for anything else other than a Barrack. there should be some dissusion on what actual savings are made. creating larger problems will end up costing more.

I really, really hate this sort of playacting. I wish Gilmore was a bit harder on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leartius View Post
    ..You still have they same number of soliders and equipment...
    no, you don't.

when you have 15 barracks spread across the country, you have 15 Guard details, 15 Duty Officers, 15 caretakers, 15 QM depts, 15 Duty Armourers, 15 duty medics etc...

when you have 3 'super garrisons' you have 3 Guard details, 3 Duty Officers, 3 Caretakers, 3 QM dept, 3 Duty Armourers, 3 Duty medics etc... the 12 lots of people you previously used for 'housekeeping' are now free to do other thngs - like train, or deploy - you know, the things the state maintains an army for.

you also save a fortune in time and money because all the units are in the right place - the Artillery BC doesn't have to drive 100 miles and waste a day to give a 2hr lecture to an Infantry company on the capabilities and procedures of bringing in an Artillery fire mission, the Engineers Regimental commander doesn't have to spend all day on the road to speak to 3 Troop Commanders about their annual reports, and when there's a scuffle in the bar at 10pm, it doesn't take the MP team 2 hours to arrive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment