Register to Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #11
    jackryan jackryan is offline
    jackryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,136

    If it wasn't about Mullingar he wouldn't give a hoot, Parish Pump to his finger tips.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #12
    fantapants fantapants is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12

    didnt see him give a hoot bout cavan closing he is just looking to keep voters sweet for next election!!!!!!!!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #13
    Diawlbach Diawlbach is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,842

    On Drivetime, they interviewed people in Mullingar about this.

    One of them was proclaiming that "they were out helping people in the winter, and they can't be doing that from an hour down the road".

    So, there you have it; the Irish Army can't operate more than 50 minutes from a base.

    If I hadn't been laughing at the nitwit who came out with that, I'd have quietly sobbed in despair at humanity.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #14
    former wesleyan former wesleyan is offline
    former wesleyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    17,358

    Quote Originally Posted by Diawlbach View Post
    On Drivetime, they interviewed people in Mullingar about this.

    One of them was proclaiming that "they were out helping people in the winter, and they can't be doing that from an hour down the road".

    So, there you have it; the Irish Army can't operate more than 50 minutes from a base.

    If I hadn't been laughing at the nitwit who came out with that, I'd have quietly sobbed in despair at humanity.
    But the ex-officer security wonk had a better point when he said that the barracks had had an upgrade and was useful for housing troops on exercise etc, and that it would cost money to mothball it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #15
    wombat wombat is offline
    wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    23,189

    Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    and that it would cost money to mothball it.
    That's the same argument that gets white elephants bred - we have spent so much now we have to continue or it will be all wasted. If its cheaper to close than keep open, it needs to close. Remember every euro wasted in Mullingar is a euro unavailable elsewhere.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #16
    king5494 king5494 is offline
    king5494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    561

    Sure just close everything, Hospitals ,Schools ,Garda Stations , Army Barracks and sell everything else ESB,GAS WATER.

    They're all a waste of money, It's not a bloody State we live in , it's a money pit ,so just stop spending anything and we'll be fine.

    Won't we?.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #17
    former wesleyan former wesleyan is offline
    former wesleyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    17,358

    Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    That's the same argument that gets white elephants bred - we have spent so much now we have to continue or it will be all wasted. If its cheaper to close than keep open, it needs to close. Remember every euro wasted in Mullingar is a euro unavailable elsewhere.
    You're obviously not from Mullingar !

    Define " cheaper " ? You can't be sure, given our past history of financial oversight, that it would really save money to mothball a working barracks. And a fifty mile round trip every day is a lot of money for a private to fork out.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #18
    goosebump goosebump is offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,680

    Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    You're obviously not from Mullingar !
    The standard defense of every busybody up and down the country who thinks their parish is some autonomous republic which should have its own health service, university, airport, motorway and in this case, World War II era artillery regiment.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #19
    antares antares is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    44

    Quote Originally Posted by goosebump View Post
    The standard defense of every busybody up and down the country who thinks their parish is some autonomous republic which should have its own health service, university, airport, motorway and in this case, World War II era artillery regiment.
    I would assume that the troops stationed there carry out duties other than just artillery training. Same as other arty units around the country. Other Corps units as well....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #20
    The Field Marshal The Field Marshal is offline
    The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,776

    Quote Originally Posted by Third Recount View Post
    Wille Penrose TD is playing the old two side trick again criticising the army for closing Mullingar Barracks.. If he disagrees with a Government policy why doesn't he resign ?
    There is no such entity as Field Marshal Penrose.

    The individual you refer to is nothing but a common barrister and minister in the current government.
    Willie Penrose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Unfortunately you give no source for your OP.

    Assuming its correct, commoner Penrose would be talking his normal blather & drivel as the decision to close any army barracks has nothing at all to do with the army and everything to do with his fellow legal & governmental colleague defence minister Shatter.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment