Register to Comment
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 31 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Jack View Post
    That's not the FCA/RDF, that's the Air Defence Regiment of the PDF.
    The Air Defence Regiment is unique, in that it has fully integrated RDF.

*Edited, as I'm unsure if it's entirely RDF, or if the RDF batteries are part of the PDF Regiment.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by The Fusilier View Post
    The Air Defence Regiment is unique, in that it has fully integrated RDF.

*Edited, as I'm unsure if it's entirely RDF, or if the RDF batteries are part of the PDF Regiment.
    FRom WIKI
    "The Army Reserve is organised into three Brigades: 1st Reserve Brigade (South), 2nd Reserve Brigade (East), and 4th Reserve Brigade (West).

There is also a Reserve Defence Forces Training Authority (RDFTA) based in the Defence Forces Training Centre in the Curragh. In addition there are 3 air defence batteries which are not part of the brigade structure but report directly to the 1 Air Defence Regiment (PDF) in the Curragh. They are territorially located, 2 Air Defence battery in the Eastern Brigade. 3 and 4 Air Defence Batteries in the Southern Brigade."

2d,3rd and 4th batts are RDF I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by pinemartin View Post
    From my memory I think its effective range was more than 3000 ft. 3000 feet is less than 1 KM so it wouldn't be much good with that range. Nobody would produce or buy a system with such limited range.I think the system the DF have a range out to 6000m and an altitude of 4000m. Choppers regularly fly well below that height and seldom above.

Should have read 3,000 meters.

No, SAR is carried out on behalf of the Irish Costguard by CHC Helicopters of Canada using Sikorsky S61N helicopters, a civil version of the military Sea King.

CHC Helicopter Corporation - European Operations - Ireland

CHC has just been selected as the preferred bidder for the next 10-year Coastguard contract using newer Sikorsky S92s from 2012.

The UK is also outsourcing its SAR operations to a consortium containing CHC.

Team Soteria wins UK's SAR-H deal with proven S-92

RAF helicopters were never based in Shannon or anywhere else in the Republic. However, they often were seen at Irish airports when they were refueling for rescue operations off the Irish coast or dropping off rescued people or casualties to be taken to Irish hospitals.

Yes, RAF crews were issued with sidearms when conducting SAR operations and refueling in the republic.

The private companies doing SAR from the republic still rely on RAF Nimrods for Surveillance Support and long range SAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspherical123 View Post
    Yes, RAF crews were issued with sidearms when conducting SAR operations and refueling in the republic.

The private companies doing SAR from the republic still rely on RAF Nimrods for Surveillance Support and long range SAR.
    casa aircraft from the air corps provide the primary cover for most sar operations in irish water. Irish sar crews provide most of the service in the 6 counties for sar and also have been used in the uk. Cooperation in these areas is vital for both jurisdictions.

And this comparison really does not apply to Ireland. The US, Brits and EU simply would not allow any Russian military alliance or influence in Ireland - and all have many more pressure points to press on us than the Russians have incentives to offer.

You're waltering now.
    i fail to see how im waltering , i spoke of what isin our national interest , our strategic importance and highlighted a distinct lack of sovereignty which restricts choices . Now your accusing me of being a spoofer while simultaneously announcing we dont have the right as a sovereign state to make such choices . Which is completely contradicting yourself but not remotely contradicting me
    Could you perhaps explain to your peers why a sovereign state such as ireland will not be allowed by foreign states to determine its own foreign policy . And also explain why im a spoofer for pointing this out also as a lack of sovereignty .

theres a good chap . All ears etc.

The L70 could also easily defend an area if coming under attack from a civilian type airliner( NEW YORK STYLE)
    Wrong. Nothing can 'shoot down' a Computer Generated Image.

The best means of defence is not an army but knowing where the enemy will strike.
    Wrong again. The first order of defense is to know who your enemy is.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspherical123 View Post

RAF Nimrods were withdrawn from service at the end of March.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohville View Post
    RAF Nimrods were withdrawn from service at the end of March.
    Yes, but they are being replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by merle haggard View Post
    i fail to see how im waltering , i spoke of what isin our national interest , our strategic importance and highlighted a distinct lack of sovereignty which restricts choices . Now your accusing me of being a spoofer while simultaneously announcing we dont have the right as a sovereign state to make such choices . Which is completely contradicting yourself but not remotely contradicting me
    Could you perhaps explain to your peers why a sovereign state such as ireland will not be allowed by foreign states to determine its own foreign policy . And also explain why im a spoofer for pointing this out also as a lack of sovereignty .

theres a good chap . All ears etc.
    Very selective quotation. Next time quote the entire post.

I was referring to your ridiculous point about Lebanon accepting free equipment from Russia.

If the point of that was to suggest that Ireland do the same, it is pure waltering.

We could not afford to train personnel or maintain and operate such aircraft - either MiG29s or Mi25/35s - so there is no pont in accepting such free gifts.

On the point you did quote, it is called realpolitik.

Our closest economic ties are with, in order of importance, the UK, EU and US. Our closest social, cultural and historical ties are with, again in order of importance, the UK, US and EU.

It is in our national interest to maintain those links - not damage them by establishing military links with their traditional military rival. The Cold War may have thawed but it still exists to a degree and has the potential to flare up again over a number of issues, such as energy supply, Georgia, US missile defence, Iran, etc.

Were Ireland to form such military ties with Russia as you suggest, the US, UK and EU simply would not accept it as it would pose a strategoic threat to all three. They all have more pressure points to use on Ireland which if pressed, would do more damage to the Irish economy and Irish life that would far outweigh any benefits ties with from Russia. That is the cold, hard reality of the situation and no amount of bleating about sovereignty will change that.

Why does the Government allow US troops transit through Shannon to Iraq and Afghanistan - apart from the fact that both operations have UN mandates and we have a duty under the UN charter to cooperate with the implementation of those mandates? Simple, it is in our national interest not to piss off the US - especially so now when the Irish economy is on its knees. The Government, including the Greens, and main opposition parties recognise that - despite the rantings of Sinn Fein, PANA and other left wing groups.

Your utterly unrealistic and myopic suggestion is formed more by your blind hatred of the UK, US and EU than what is in Ireland's national interest.

As I said, Walter Mitty stuff.

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 31 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment