Register to Comment
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 374
Like Tree13Likes
  1. #21
    myksav myksav is offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    30,872

    Quote Originally Posted by RepublicanSocialist1798 View Post
    Wow they used Brens back then.

    My brothers in the Reserves as well and they use Steyr's now.
    A Bren is a light machinegun, single crewed, a Steyr is a personal sholder arm.
    the Bren was a fun gun, a sleeve full of hot shell casings if you were a leftie. And if you didn't dig in the bipod the damned thing tried to run away from you.

    @ Hiker.
    That ammo was perfectly safe, twas only 40 years old.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------

    But on to myths and legends.
    Ever hear of a Bren-gun carrier? A nice little tracked vehicle (I'd like to have one). The story I heard was that the DoD, after making their purchase of Bren-guns, were told about Bren-gun carriers. Without asking or knowing what they were, it was "ah shur, why not, we'll take a half dozen."
    Some time later, the shipment of weapons bought arrived in Dublin port.
    All the correct and accounted rifles, Bren-guns and ammunition, etc, were unloaded. While the unloading proceeded, six large crates were added to the growing pile of weapons and ammo.
    The DoD people looked at the boxes and said, "they're awfully big for Bren-gun carriers." And when the crates were opened to check, it was "what the hell are those?" When told "Bren-gun carriers", the legend goes, "But we thought a Bren-gun carrier was a type of sling."

    True story.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    By the way, if you think the Irish Gov't military procurement is a bit wonky, you should read up on the Pentagon procurement shenanagans. Or the Russian equivelant. Makes our lot look like complete amateurs in the "dumb move" department.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #22
    Munnkeyman Munnkeyman is offline
    Munnkeyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    12,057

    Quote Originally Posted by myksav View Post

    But on to myths and legends.
    Ever hear of a Bren-gun carrier? A nice little tracked vehicle (I'd like to have one). The story I heard was that the DoD, after making their purchase of Bren-guns, were told about Bren-gun carriers. Without asking or knowing what they were, it was "ah shur, why not, we'll take a half dozen."
    Some time later, the shipment of weapons bought arrived in Dublin port.
    All the correct and accounted rifles, Bren-guns and ammunition, etc, were unloaded. While the unloading proceeded, six large crates were added to the growing pile of weapons and ammo.
    The DoD people looked at the boxes and said, "they're awfully big for Bren-gun carriers." And when the crates were opened to check, it was "what the hell are those?" When told "Bren-gun carriers", the legend goes, "But we thought a Bren-gun carrier was a type of sling."

    True story.

    Hahahaha:mrgreen:
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #23
    dail usher dail usher is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    385

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Jack View Post
    During the recent helicopter procurement for the Air Corps, the DF wanted the US Blackhawk. The Rangers had operated with them in Timor and loved them.

    The US offered a deal, whatever number you buy new (six or eight), we'll give you the same number of surplus machines for free and all you'll have to do is pay to refit/upgrade them to your specs.

    DF loved this idea but Willie and the DoD decided to buy six untested new civilian machines, stick in a few military radios and paint them green.

    I was told that by a number of army and AC officers.

    Apparently, Bertie and FF were afraid of the reaction of the Greens and other crusties that we would be buying American 'helicopter gunships' that were blowing the bejaysus out of Iraq, Afghanistan and Lebanon.

    Great story....... except that its total b@llix.

    The first two of the new helis were delivered to Baldonnell in November 2006 - having been ordered almost two years earlier in December 2004 ie 2.5 years before the Greens entered Government. The Greens were then in opposition and were being ignored by Ahern and the rest of FF and the PDs.
    See here: Department of Defence - Press Releases

    Originally they ordered 4 AW139s - this was increased to 6. As for the spec of the helis:

    The AgustaWestland AW139 Utility Helicopters are operated by the Air Corps in general purpose military operational and training roles. Primary taskings will include training and operations with Special Forces, security and aid to the civil power, military exercises, infantry interoperability training and limited troop transport. They will also be used to perform air ambulance, inland Search and Rescue, aid to the civil community and VIP transport tasks.


    --
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #24
    pinemartin pinemartin is offline
    pinemartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,986

    i heard that in the past on anti aircraft guns, that instead of firing practice rounds that one of the gunners banged his foot on the platform to simulate the noise of the round.as basil brush would say boom boom.
    Last edited by pinemartin; 29th July 2010 at 12:44 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #25
    The Field Marshal The Field Marshal is offline
    The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    26,716

    Quote Originally Posted by Éireann go Brách View Post
    The Israel DF sent people to Ireland to learn Irish so they could listen
    to Irish DF radio transmissons in Irish when they where deployed with UNFIL in south leb.

    heard this in a pub from some leb vets they swore it was true

    In my limited time in the DF I never heard Irish on a radio net.
    Did they use it overseas.
    Gaelic was used regularly in the Congo for radio transmissions.

    Many Irish soldiers sacrificed their lives in vain and conditions there are more atrocious now than ever before.

    [Ye can thank the late Labour TD Conor Cruise O,Brien for much of the mess that happened in the Congo.]
    Last edited by The Field Marshal; 29th July 2010 at 12:32 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #26
    The Field Marshal The Field Marshal is offline
    The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    26,716

    One story concerning the Arms Trial is that the real reason an attempt was made to import arms was that the Irish govt actually wanted to give the catholics in NI weapons , [there were plenty of surplus Irish army.303,s bought from the Brits knocking around back then,] but did not want any weapons traced back to the Irish govt itself .


    This is why Lynch tacitly agreed to the clandestine importation of weapons from the continent that could not be linked directly to the Irish govt.
    M16 got wind of it ,tipped off Liam Cosgrave leader of the opposition and the game was up.

    Haughy and the rest of them were then made the fall guys.
    Last edited by The Field Marshal; 29th July 2010 at 12:33 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #27
    Bleu Poppy Bleu Poppy is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,715

    Quote Originally Posted by myksav View Post
    A Bren is a light machinegun, single crewed, a Steyr is a personal sholder arm.
    the Bren was a fun gun, a sleeve full of hot shell casings if you were a leftie. And if you didn't dig in the bipod the damned thing tried to run away from you.

    @ Hiker.
    That ammo was perfectly safe, twas only 40 years old.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------

    But on to myths and legends.
    Ever hear of a Bren-gun carrier? A nice little tracked vehicle (I'd like to have one). The story I heard was that the DoD, after making their purchase of Bren-guns, were told about Bren-gun carriers. Without asking or knowing what they were, it was "ah shur, why not, we'll take a half dozen."
    Some time later, the shipment of weapons bought arrived in Dublin port.
    All the correct and accounted rifles, Bren-guns and ammunition, etc, were unloaded. While the unloading proceeded, six large crates were added to the growing pile of weapons and ammo.
    The DoD people looked at the boxes and said, "they're awfully big for Bren-gun carriers." And when the crates were opened to check, it was "what the hell are those?" When told "Bren-gun carriers", the legend goes, "But we thought a Bren-gun carrier was a type of sling."

    True story. YEAH, RIGHT? One look at the invoice price would have told those handling the requisition that they were dealing with something other than a piece of leather or webbing!

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    By the way, if you think the Irish Gov't military procurement is a bit wonky, you should read up on the Pentagon procurement shenanagans. Or the Russian equivelant. Makes our lot look like complete amateurs in the "dumb move" department.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #28
    Bleu Poppy Bleu Poppy is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,715

    One story that did the rounds in the 1970's told of a group of F.C.A. members from the Midlands out on night exercises in the Wicklow mountains. Though equipped with weapons they were only supplied with blank ammunition.

    According to the story they happened upon a group of Provos, also on night manoeuvres.... but they had ball ammunition. The members of the Free Clothing Association decided that discretion was the better part of valour and retreated to fight another day, as it were.

    How true the above is, I do not know... I first heard the story around 1974. Anyone else hear it?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #29
    rubensni rubensni is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,973

    Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    [Ye can thank the late Labour TD Conor Cruise O,Brien for much of the mess that happened in the Congo.]
    I was always under the impression he was involved in the Katinga thing as a UN representative, not a Labour TD.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #30
    dresden8 dresden8 is offline
    dresden8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    12,464

    Original Irish Contract Lee-Enfields were sold of for £15 each or so.

    They're now being bought back at €900 each or so by Irish shooters.

    True story.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment