Register to Comment
Page 1 of 34 123 11 ... LastLast

Celeb Nell McCafferty refused treatment at Beaumont due to "abuse and bullying"

"I understand that you reduced my public secretary, who is heavily pregnant, to tears. On inquiring further I am told you used abusive language to the neurosurgical admissions office in Beaumont Hospital, and also created difficulties on having an angiogram,’’ he wrote.
    “You will appreciate that neither I nor my staff are prepared to tolerate abusive and bullying behaviour of this type. I am therefore declining the referral and suggest you seek another neurosurgeon.”

McCafferty challenges refusal to treat her - The Irish Times - Fri, Sep 04, 2009

Anyone who knows health service workers will appreciate that they run the guantlet of physical and verbal abuse. Media celebrity Nell McCafferty was refused treatment by a surgeon at Beumonth hospital for "abusive and bullying behaviour" towards staff.

McCafferty admits the altercation but describes her behaviour as merely "terse".

Another point in this article are also interesting. The surgeon said to her in a letter that he was "doing her a favour by seeing her so soon as a public patient". Does this mean that McCafferty used her celebrity to jump the queue? The whole basis of the provision of public health care is clinical need not one's celebrity status.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

This is a totally outrageous situation. Highlighting the abuse of a public service worker is one thing but describing Nell Mc Cafferty as a celebrity is beyond the pale.

Translation : he 'was doing her a favour by seeing her as a public patient.'
    Probably thinks she ought to go private as she is not sleeping rough.

It's about time someone told this self important, perma-whinging wretch where to go.

So much for patient-doctor confidentiality.
    How did the contents of this letter reach the Irish Times even though it didn't even reach Nell Mc Cafferty?

Quote Originally Posted by Truth.ie View Post
    How did the contents of this letter reach the Irish Times even though it didn't even reach Nell Mc Cafferty?
    McCafferty gave the letter to the Irish Times and is calling for an investigation into the withdrawal of treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth.ie View Post
    Yea, the staff made up the complaints and An Post ensured McCafferty didn't get the letter. I'm convinced.

What disturbs me about this, is the God like power of consultants to bestow and withhold treatment on utterly whimsical grounds. Who do these people think they are?

Why did the consultant let her skip the queue (if that's what happened)? Are they concerned about the PR image among the opinion formers? But if an ordinary Joe Soap tried it, he'd know all about the delays in the system.

Recent dealings with health professionals (doctors specifically) in St Vincents especially brings me to sympathise with Nell in this instance.

The doctors I dealt with on behalf of my parents were arrogant and a law unto themselves.

Once you even attempt to ask questions as to why they are proposing treatment x they accuse you of daring to question their professional judgement, integrity etc.. service providers they are not!

Well done Nell for attempting to highlight this.

The staff don't need that rubbish.
    Its a tough enough gig as it is.

Page 1 of 34 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment