Register to Comment
Page 1 of 100 123 11 51 ... LastLast

Feminist org (Ruhama) recommends criminalisation of those who use prostitution

It is inevitable that such ideas are recommended and implemented, once feminists become the primary moral/legal framers of the prostitution issue.

Newstalk - Ireland's National Independent Talk Radio Broadcaster - News

A leading organisation helping women affected by the illegal sex trade says it's concerned at the sharp rise in invisible or in-door prostitution.

Ruhama's latest report shows it assisted over 340 women in the past two years alone and more than half of these were being forced to work from private apartments.

It says it's becoming increasingly difficult to find these victims and is calling on the government to criminalise those who pay for prostitution in an effort to combat the problem.
    Last edited by Electro; 31st August 2009 at 02:46 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Electro View Post
    It is inevitable that such ideas are recommended and implemented, once feminists become the primary moral/legal framers of the prostitution issue.

Newstalk - Ireland's National Independent Talk Radio Broadcaster - News

you don't think prostitution is a social evil?

if prostitution is a crime then surely the prostitute and the client should be prosecuted. nothing wrong with what ruhama are requesting.

Is it not already illegal and therefore a criminal act? The real problem is trafficers, while ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law, most punters would not be aware that the girls were being kept captive.

Quote Originally Posted by zakalwe1 View Post

if prostitution is a crime then surely the prostitute and the client should be prosecuted. nothing wrong with what ruhama are requesting.
    I understand that they are arguing the the sale of sexual services should be legal but the purchase of sexual services should be a criminal offence.

I think Electro has a point in pointing out that inherent contradiction.

If it is a social evil, why is it legal?

Actually I think you are mistaken, and this is exactly what I want to point out.

Feminists such as those at Ruhama seek only the prosecution of the so-called "demand" end.

Under current law the prostitute is immune from prosecution, and Ruhama seek to maintain this status quo. Indeed this is a central plank of all feminist moral/legal understandings of prostitution: immunity for the prostitutes themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by bm42 View Post
    Is it not already illegal and therefore a criminal act? The real problem is trafficers, while ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law, most punters would not be aware that the girls were being kept captive.
    It should be decriminalised as a transaction between two adults should not be interfered with by the state. Trafficking is a separate issue.

This is the Ruhama website, their area of concern is sex trafficking : Welcome to the Ruhama Website

Quote Originally Posted by dot View Post
    This is the Ruhama website, their area of concern is sex trafficking : Welcome to the Ruhama Website
    Their area of concern is not sex trafficking per se.

They are concerned with articulating feminist responses to prostitution, in an Irish context.

They work with the Gardai, the authorities and with trafficked women. Welcome to the Ruhama Website

prostitution is legal???????

when was this and why wasn't i told????

i assumed that both punter and lady of the night were breaking the law!

i said that prosititution is a social evil as i used to work in a nightclub and see how the girls were treated by the pimp. i saw girls as young as 14-15 drugged up on heroin (supplied by pimp) and paying over most of their money to that creep for the worst "work" imaginable. the pimp used to hang around the nightclub at end of the night discretely advising men who wanted the party to continue where to go. i'd see them when i had finished up cleaning and restocking the bar, all hanging around the 24 hour spar on baggot street. it was grim.

i think that it should not be legalised and that both the provider of the service and the customer should be criminalised.

i'd like to be as liberal and blase as clackinard but have seen that its not all "pretty woman" fairytale but is bleak, harrowing and in almost 90% of cases a drugged up prisoner who is forced to work in this manner.

Page 1 of 100 123 11 51 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment