Register to Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Tommy Tayto Tommy Tayto is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,750

    Bill Gates patents weather modification device

    The world’s richest man has joined the battle against the world’s most destructive weather. Bill Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft, is backing inventors and climate scientists who claim to have devised a technique for diminishing the power of hurricanes.


    Bill Gates in bid to tame hurricanes - Times Online
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    Ah Well Ah Well is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,075

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Tayto View Post
    The world’s richest man has joined the battle against the world’s most destructive weather. Bill Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft, is backing inventors and climate scientists who claim to have devised a technique for diminishing the power of hurricanes.


    Bill Gates in bid to tame hurricanes - Times Online
    Hmmm there's hope yet for this place ....

    Garretstown Beach on the South Coast of Cork in 10 years time (for 3 months a year)

    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    TommyO'Brien TommyO'Brien is offline
    TommyO'Brien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19,377

    Gates is turning out to be one of the most extraordinary figures of modern history. His $35 billion investment to widing up polio and malaria is already having a dramatic impact. This if it works will save lives and jobs. Fair dues to the man. Some rich people spend their money pampering themselves. He spends it saving the lives of others. A truly extraordinary man.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    Oblivion Oblivion is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,333

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    Gates is turning out to be one of the most extraordinary figures of modern history. His $35 billion investment to widing up polio and malaria is already having a dramatic impact. This if it works will save lives and jobs. Fair dues to the man. Some rich people spend their money pampering themselves. He spends it saving the lives of others. A truly extraordinary man.

    Forgive me for not tripping over myself to add to the adulation of this modern Messiah. The fact is, aside from undeniably making colossal contributions to charities and worthwhile causes ( he can more than afford to ) Gates has been at the forefront of the cheap labour importation agenda in the United States.

    Displacing American workers, unleashing wage attrition. Demanding ever-higher numbers of H1-B visas for foreign nationals to take highly skilled jobs.

    Clearly, the man's an historic figure. That's beyond debate. But when I see Obama levels of deification, it's frankly a little stomach churning.


    Bill Gates makes the (bogus) case for more (cheap) foreign labor - Ars Technica
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    asknoquestions asknoquestions is offline
    asknoquestions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,341

    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    Forgive me for not tripping over myself to add to the adulation of this modern Messiah. The fact is, aside from undeniably making colossal contributions to charities and worthwhile causes ( he can more than afford to ) Gates has been at the forefront of the cheap labour importation agenda in the United States.

    Displacing American workers, unleashing wage attrition. Demanding ever-higher numbers of H1-B visas for foreign nationals to take highly skilled jobs.

    Clearly, the man's an historic figure. That's beyond debate. But when I see Obama levels of deification, it's frankly a little stomach churning.


    Bill Gates makes the (bogus) case for more (cheap) foreign labor - Ars Technica
    is it not better for a country that they should be importing highly skilled and educated people, rather than low-paid uneducated hedgecutters, gardeners, etc?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    Oblivion Oblivion is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,333

    Quote Originally Posted by asknoquestions View Post
    is it not better for a country that they should be importing highly skilled and educated people, rather than low-paid uneducated hedgecutters, gardeners, etc?
    Not when you obliterate the prospects of your own highly qualified workforce.

    Having said that, I'd still choose to import highly qualified immigrants ( in sensible numbers ) over illiterate Mexicans, any day of the week.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    asknoquestions asknoquestions is offline
    asknoquestions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,341

    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    Not when you obliterate the prospects of your own highly qualified workforce.

    Having said that, I'd still choose to import highly qualified immigrants ( in sensible numbers ) over illiterate Mexicans, any day of the week.
    according to the link you posted, there are 65,000 H1B visas available per year. Is this a sensible number? If the US workforce is 150 million and the Irish workforce is 2 million, this would be approximately equivalent to Ireland allowing in 1,000 skilled workers per year.

    And compare this 65000 to the number of Mexicans in California alone. I find it hard to imagine that 65000 workers could "obliterate" the opportunities for American workers.

    And why do you care about American workers anyway, as opposed to, say, Indian or Chinese workers?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    HughinBandon HughinBandon is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    622

    This is fantastic news.

    If Gates's "weather modification device" works as well as his Windows operating system we can all look forward to clear "blue screen" skies for indefinate periods of time.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    Oblivion Oblivion is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,333

    Quote Originally Posted by asknoquestions View Post
    according to the link you posted, there are 65,000 H1B visas available per year. Is this a sensible number? If the US workforce is 150 million and the Irish workforce is 2 million, this would be approximately equivalent to Ireland allowing in 1,000 skilled workers per year.

    And compare this 65000 to the number of Mexicans in California alone. I find it hard to imagine that 65000 workers could "obliterate" the opportunities for American workers.

    For the individual American worker, who finds himself competing against super-cheap Indian labor ( after having spent many $thousands on a degree and IT training ) yes, his livelihood has been savaged. Being ordered to train the very people brought in to replace him, adds further humiliation.

    At a time when Americans are losing 400,000 jobs per month, the loss of another 65,000 to cheap imported labor does nothing whatsoever to help the situation. In any event, 65,000 is merely the tip of the iceberg as "The H1B and L-1visa programs are a license to exclude US workers for at least a quarter of a million top dollar, white collar jobs per year."

    No wonder Congress has passed an amendment, barring companies who recieve bailout money from hiring foreign nationals through H1-B's without following strict procedures to first advertise jobs to Americans. Even in spite of these tougher restrictions, companies are still taking the p*ss, in the extreme in their efforts to import cheap labor.



    Quote Originally Posted by asknoquestions View Post
    And why do you care about American workers anyway, as opposed to, say, Indian or Chinese workers?
    How many Indian or Chinese consumers are you aware of, who buy Irish-made products?

    The US jobs market is in a depression. The stimulus package has failed to stop the bleeding. H1-B does nothing to help US workers and thus, indirectly, it does nothing to help Ireland.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    asknoquestions asknoquestions is offline
    asknoquestions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,341

    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    For the individual American worker, who finds himself competing against super-cheap Indian labor ( after having spent many $thousands on a degree and IT training ) yes, his livelihood has been savaged.
    What about the average low-paid American worker who has to compete against millions of Mexicans? Has his livelihood not been savaged more than the very highly educated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    How many Indian or Chinese consumers are you aware of, who buy Irish-made products?

    The US jobs market is in a depression. The stimulus package has failed to stop the bleeding. H1-B does nothing to help US workers and thus, indirectly, it does nothing to help Ireland.
    On the contrary, once a foreign national is working in the USA, is he not just as likely to buy Irish products as the American whose job he took? Or do H1B's have some reason to boycott Irish products?

    In fact, assuming the highly skilled worker adds something to the USA's GDP, this means the economy grows with the addition of each highly skilled worker, and this means a larger market for Irish products.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment