Register to Comment
Page 1 of 21 123 11 ... LastLast

Eamon Gilmore - never had a job?

I was reflecting on a comment from YoungDan the other night and I wonder if anyone can confirm this or not.

Did Eamon Gilmore ever do a days work in his life outside of politics?

Doesn't seem that he did actually:

Eamon Gilmore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know Stalin never had a job and Karl Marx avoided work like the Plague but surely its truly bizarre that the Leader of a Party which claims to represent Irish Workers has no experience of being an employee himself in the real world?

Is he the only one or are there others?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
    I was reflecting on a comment from YoungDan the other night and I wonder if anyone can confirm this or not.

I know Stalin never had a job and Karl Marx avoided work like the Plague but surely its truly bizarre that the Leader of a Party which claims to represent Irish Workers has no experience of being an employee himself in the real world?

Mary Harney. Mary Coughlan. Neither have done a days work in the private sector in their lives. Politics and politics only.

Wasn't Gilmore a union official?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    Mary Harney. Mary Coughlan. Neither have done a days work in the private sector in their lives. Politics and politics only.
    What justification is there for the claim that sweary Mary was a social worker?

Why is it that we think it a weakness in our politicians that they have spent their entire career at their profession?

Would we think a neurosurgeon was more capable if she'd spent a decade as a panel beater?

Gilmore definitely was a union official. There is a link on the wikipedia page to an RTÉ story after he won the leadership that mentions it.

Dermot Aherne described himself as a career politician. There will always be some people who will go into political life full time.

Marx made a living as a journalist. He was not a wealthy person. He completed his doctorate by 23 and lead an extremely hard working life as a journalist, writer on economics and philosophy, and a political activist.

Karl Marx (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Along with 19% of the dail which are exteachers, god help this poor little country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post

Twitter
    @

Eamon Gilmore worked for the ITGWU from 1979 to the mid 80s. I would class that as having a real job, especially given the times that were in it.

Quote Originally Posted by cactusflower View Post
    Dermot Aherne described himself as a career politician. There will always be some people who will go into political life full time.

Marx made a living as a journalist. He was not a wealthy person. He completed his doctorate by 23 and lead an extremely hard working life as a journalist, writer on economics and philosophy, and a political activist.

Karl Marx (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
    Ahern was a solicitor. He had a decent practice up in Dundalk. Although, he has given it up to focus on politics. Most politicians here and in the UK are of the career politician variety - I suppose it is the nature of the business these days.

What does it matter if Gilmore had a job or not before he entered political life? What job did Bertie have before he entered the Dail?

Page 1 of 21 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment