Register to Comment
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

teachers pay for 'yard duty'

Heard over the weekend that teachers get an extra 2k a year (approx) for yard duty. This is for approx 1 hour yard supervision a week for about 37 weeks.

I think this is a complete waste of money and teachers should be doing this already? Maybe this could go towards a better use (more teachers, better facilities etc).

What do people think and is there any justfication for this that I can't see?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I think its considerably less than 2k. Its not part of the contract, afaik, to do this duty (dont ask me why) so : extra duties require extra pay.

well, they dont get a full lunch break when they do it, they are taxed on this at a high rate and its optional to do yard duty

I know from a reliable source that the figure is on average 2k ... before tax that is.

I take your point BodyofEvidence, but me thinks this should have been part of the basic contract. I suppose its just another of those pointless expenses... great for those who get it though!

WTF? Why is yard duties classed as 'extra duties'?? Its part of school isn't it?

Get rid of the payment for yard duties. I don't care if its 10 Euro or 2k Euro per annum. Its a stupid notion that it isn't part of their 'duties' and one of those extreme politically correct,namby pampy, union created tags to justify more pay for the same work.

There must be one teacher, a member, who is not too ashamed to admit that there is this anachronistic payment out there?

Are there varying levels of payment, depending on years of service?

How can this be justified?

Quote Originally Posted by markeys View Post
    WTF? Why is yard duties classed as 'extra duties'?? Its part of school isn't it?

Get rid of the payment for yard duties. I don't care if its 10 Euro or 2k Euro per annum. Its a stupid notion that it isn't part of their 'duties' and one of those extreme politically correct,namby pampy, union created tags to justify more pay for the same work.
    so they should work part/most/all of their lunch for free?

Quote Originally Posted by markeys View Post

But what if people opt to do the work during the lunch break to which they are legally entitled? I suppose the employer has to be reasonable.

Why anyone would opt to supervise children instead of taking a lunch-break is beyond my comprehension. 2k minus pension, taxes, levies, etc? To supervise and take responsibility for a yardful of children?

Not for any money.

Another bash the teachers thread - how surprising - how about we have a bash the people who f*cked up the economy thread instead?

I suppose it's too much to hope that Bord Snip would firstly identify all these sort of abuses to be stopped (there must be hundreds of these scams all over the public sector from teachers persk to TDs travel allowance) and cut them out before randoming slashing the benefits of those on the dole or the elderly or poor while of course leaving the well off as well off as ever with all thier tax breaks and loop holes intact.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment