Register to Comment
Page 327 of 330 FirstFirst ... 227277317325326327328329 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,270 of 3299
Like Tree3545Likes

Quote Originally Posted by fergal1790 View Post
    Male travellers who take part in any educational endeavour after national school age gets the sh1t kicked out of them and called/treated like a woman, they can even get raped by the others for such womanly behaviour. Men don't need to read nor write as long as they can count the pounds on the scales and the punts they get off the dodgy scrap merchant for the stolen copper.
    It's posts like this that illustrate the bankrupt moderation on this site. Sweeping generalisations, unsubstantiated allegations without a single shred of evidence.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Soaked View Post
    Only a third of the graduates in the pic are men. Fair play to all of them for pursuing and valuing education, but there needs to be a lot more men participating. More than 50:50 considering the patriarchal nature of the traveller culture.

As before, there needs to be some sort of financial affirmative action to get travellers into mainstream employment. And not just minimum wage service roles . Status needs to be achievable via employment.
    why the ************************ should there in all fairness mate????? let them get off of their lazy holes and look for work the same as the rest of us and if they dont want that stop their dole!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitchcock View Post
    It's posts like this that illustrate the bankrupt moderation on this site. Sweeping generalisations, unsubstantiated allegations without a single shred of evidence.
    I agree with that poster Feargale 79. I have met many male travellers who not know how to read. Some say they can " read their money" - i.e. how to distinguish the various currency notes.

Hard to explain to them what a disadvantage illiteracy is in this current world

Quote Originally Posted by Dedogs View Post
    why the ************************ should there in all fairness mate????? let them get off of their lazy holes and look for work the same as the rest of us and if they dont want that stop their dole!!!!!
    Most of them sign on in a few post offices as it is easy enough to write an X on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitchcock View Post
    Occasionally only when it's warranted, I'll be sure to look out for you similarly chastising some of the posters on your side of this debate who reply in a similar manner to me - I'm sure you'd like to be a consistent admonisher!
    Mr Hitchcock, I did not realise I had taken a side .I had made the decision based on my own life experiences ,from what I see and from what I have discussed .

Why you would think I am going to chastise people who disagree with you is beyond me..I'm sure your able to take care of yourself.
    You are as entitled to your opinion as am I but its an uphill battle when it comes to convincing the population that travellers add anything to society rather than rob/ruin/wreck.

I love this quote from one of the "Good Travellers"

“We pay VAT on everything we buy, so in that sense, Travellers do pay taxes,” says Collins. “

Quote Originally Posted by Dedogs View Post
    If you are an employer, and there is an alternative to hiring a Traveller, you'll go with it. So an incentive like reduced employer PRSI will make it worth your while.

There is huge prejudice towards travellers and this can only be overcome with removing the sources of prejudice and a realisation that decent travellers exist. Giving a dog a bad name and all that...

As for stopping dole? Agreed. Illiteracy is not a disability, and many of the disability grounds in the wider population need to be looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Soaked View Post
    If you are an employer, and there is an alternative to hiring a Traveller, you'll go with it. So an incentive like reduced employer PRSI will make it worth your while.

There is huge prejudice towards travellers and this can only be overcome with removing the sources of prejudice and a realisation that decent travellers exist. Giving a dog a bad name and all that...

As for stopping dole? Agreed. Illiteracy is not a disability, and many of the disability grounds in the wider population need to be looked at.
    mate its not like theyre been hired to be brain surgens or lawyers or that.... they can do like i did take a days work or half days work if its goin.... if youre honeset and do the job youll get the name of a worker and thats worth more than qualifications from school....

Quote Originally Posted by ergo2 View Post
    I agree with that poster Feargale 79. I have met many male travellers who not know how to read. Some say they can " read their money" - i.e. how to distinguish the various currency notes.

Hard to explain to them what a disadvantage illiteracy is in this current world
    Seems you have trouble with reading yourself....the poster you are referring to is fergal1790

Quote Originally Posted by fergal1790 View Post
    Male travellers who take part in any educational endeavour after national school age gets the sh1t kicked out of them and called/treated like a woman, they can even get raped by the others for such womanly behaviour. Men don't need to read nor write as long as they can count the pounds on the scales and the punts they get off the dodgy scrap merchant for the stolen copper.
    I don't believe this. Do you have any evidence to back up this claim?

Quote Originally Posted by PAGE61 View Post
    Mr Hitchcock, I did not realise I had taken a side .I had made the decision based on my own life experiences ,from what I see and from what I have discussed .

Why you would think I am going to chastise people who disagree with you is beyond me..I'm sure your able to take care of yourself.
    You are as entitled to your opinion as am I but its an uphill battle when it comes to convincing the population that travellers add anything to society rather than rob/ruin/wreck.

“We pay VAT on everything we buy, so in that sense, Travellers do pay taxes,” says Collins. “

Mr Hitchcock
    No need for such reverence but thank you!

I did not realise I had taken a side
    Happy to have helped you realise it now.

I had made the decision based on my own life experiences ,from what I see and from what I have discussed .
    Do you always generalise so much based on your own immediate life experiences?

Why you would think I am going to chastise people who disagree with you is beyond me.
    It's not about them disagreeing with me, it's the fact that you are concerned about the fact that occasionally I 'like to play the player rather than the ball' so you'd forgive me for thinking that you might be generally concerned about that method but I see it's just when someone you disagree with does it.

The fact that it maybe an uphill battle doesn't mean it's not worthwhile - let's not forget it was people like you in South Africa who argued that Black Africans were inferior, and didn't add anything to society rather than 'rob/ruin/wreck' among other things.

That would also apply to a significant portion of the population who are low paid, do you have an issue with them too?

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment