Register to Comment
Page 2 of 221 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree2153Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Eorna View Post
    Thats a bit over the top, there are good ones, that do respect others, but sometimes it does feel like they are a minority.
    That's because they are a minority. A very small one at that. Out of curiosity, do you actually know any of them? Could you name them?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher1 View Post
    They disgrace thier community??? Their whole community IS a disgrace. People try to make out that the Travellors are victims of social exclusion and racism. Although I fail to see any racism since they are supposed to be Irish so Irish people being prejudiced to travellers cant actually by racism. Then again, prejudism is not as headline grabbing is it.

It is rare to see a traveller as a decent human being. I've encountered a few in my time and none of them really enamoured me to their "way of life" or them as a human being. They constantly try to get the rest of us to accomodate them and their ways, however, they are the ones who should try to assimilate into our society instead of keeping themselves on the fringes all the time. If there are factions of the travelloer community worthy of what they strive for, then they should sort the rest of their own community out. Oh no of course, they couldn't possible dream of doing that, could they?
    I disagree with this point strongly

I work with the traveller community and there is a vast amount of people within the community that are excellent citizens.

What happened in Dublin was wrong and those who did it should be punished

That's because they are a minority. A very small one at that. Out of curiosity, do you actually know any of them? Could you name them?
    Yes a small minority that covers front pages of newspapers every week. A large proportion of this "community" are criminals that disgrace our country. They are the seeds of social rot in this country and deserve no simpathy and no respect.

There way of life is offensive and not acceptable

I do, I am not going to put names of private people up on a public forum, they drink in a pub, that I would drink in at home, and are perfectly polite and decent. I know another family that are settled and keep themselves to them selves, and are no threat or nuisance to anyone else. There is no doubt though that their is a major problem, with violence, criminality and anti-social behaviour in traveller society. There is no doubt that there are many towns and people all over the country that are terrorized by travellers.

I suppose noone here has ever seen a group of "settled" people behave like scum?

There are nasty travellers, there are nasty "settled" people.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie68 View Post
    I'd go along with that too.

If the only aspect of their culture which I had to endure was the sickening waft of toxic fumes from burning rubber I'd reluctantly put up with it (even though if I tried that the Gardai would be around in a flash, so much for 'equality').

There seems to be too many in their community with absolutely no respect for the rest of us. Why would they? They occupy some of the most expensive land in Dublin which was handed to them free gratis, homes built on it etc and these homes are frequently burnt out (e.g. behind Nutgrove Shopping Centre).

The violence seems too routine for my liking.
    I agree. Its too much and there is too much justifiaction oppurtunities handed out to them by the media. Why cant I as a right wing libertarian give my opinion to a newspaper or news show and then be called a racist? The traveller problem needs to be talked about openly.

A we've seen from Limerick, it only takes a few violent and bullying people to leave a trail of destruction. People who live a lot outside and move around a lot are very visible. With Travellers, if there are some high profile people who are in your face, that is who everone is aware of. Everyone is tarred with the same brush. Travellers aren't all the same. There are probably some Travellers who post here and people you know who you aren't aware are Travellers.

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by cactusflower View Post
    "Settled people disgrace their community again"
    See that's the thing cactusflower, there is no such thing as the 'settled community'. The settled community is simply defined as those who aren't travellers which is no sensible definition of a community I've ever heard of.

A couple of them escaped and weren't arrested

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8wHsoGeuH8"]Travellers on the run[/ame]

Page 2 of 221 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment