Register to Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

10pc of primary pupils born overseas

In just a few years the Primary School population has seen a growth of 10% of immigrant children.

This is a cost of Billions to to the Irish state, and further proof that immigrants are not going home but arein fact increasing.

THE great ethnic divide in Irish education is revealed today for the first time.

Some 10pc of pupils in primary education -- around 44,000 in all -- were born outside the State but they are not evenly distributed across the nation's 3,200 schools.
    A quarter of primaries, or some 820, have none at all, a half have up to 10pc and the remaining quarter have anything up to 70pc of overseas students.
    The startling Department of Education and Science figures prompted warnings last night that the cuts in language support services in September will have a devastating effect on attempts to integrate non-Irish into schools -- and society at large.
    Under new rules, schools which could have had up to six language support teachers at present will be limited to just two from September, with only a few exceptions. Among the findings of the census of more than 3,100 primary schools are:

• One in 10 primary school pupils were born outside of Ireland; 23,226 came from other EU countries and 20,703 from outside the EU.
    • More than 50pc of pupils in 12 schools are non-Irish.
    • Most Irish-language gaelscoileanna have either no non-nationals or only a tiny minority.
    • A quarter of the pupils in schools in Dublin 15 do not have Irish citizenship (7.7pc are from other EU countries and 16.7pc from outside the EU).

Full details of the intake into the schools is available on the Irish Independent's website: The great ethnic divide - full data - Latest News, Education - Independent.ie.

New figures reveal 10pc of primary pupils born overseas - Latest News, Education - Independent.ie
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Not revealed today for the first time.

http://www.politics.ie/education-sci...nationals.html

I'd just like to point out that being born overseas doesn't necessarily mean you aren't Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    I'd just like to point out that being born overseas doesn't necessarily mean you aren't Irish.
    Yes but being a "foreign national" does.

My son is born in Switzerland, but he's got an Irish passport and he's being raised accordingly. But he's not Swiss, so he would qualify as "born abroad" but not as "foreign national".

Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_Déise View Post
    This says it refers to those born outside the state.
    New figures reveal 10pc of primary pupils born overseas - Latest News, Education - Independent.ie

So not only, do we have Irish children born in Switzerland, we also have Irish children born in Newry, Derry and Belfast.
    When you conside that, 10% is on the low side. I would have thought something around 10% of Irish people in Ireland would have been born outside the state. Something close to 30% of Irish citizens (or people who would qualify for a passport if they applied) were born outside the state.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_Déise View Post
    This says it refers to those born outside the state.

So not only, do we have Irish children born in Switzerland, we also have Irish children born in Newry, Derry and Belfast.
    A post from Ulster-lad mentioned "foreign nationals" which is why I made the distinction.

Shane.

My son is born in Switzerland, but he's got an Irish passport and he's being raised accordingly.
    My son was born in Scotland, he has a Danish passport. I am raising him as a child. What the f*ck does accordingly mean.

Do you dip your finger in whiskey for him when teething, eat fish on a Friday?

I'd just like to know what your intentions are behind this post ?

That's right, to a point. If you're born overseas of Irish parent or grandparent you can claim Irish nationality. But it's not automatic.

Something close to 30% of Irish citizens (or people who would qualify for a passport if they applied) were born outside the state.
    That amounts to more than a million. Where'd you get those stats?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishConservative View Post
    My son was born in Scotland, he has a Danish passport. I am raising him as a child. What the f*ck does accordingly mean.

Do you dip your finger in whiskey for him when teething, eat fish on a Friday?

I'd just like to know what your intentions are behind this post ?
    You're a weird kind of "conservative", when you can't understand the poster's desire to pass on his culture and heritage to his children.

You're a fraud, and a foul-mouthed one.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment