Register to Comment
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

The arrogance of Stephen Collins at the Irish Times

If I have to read one more pompous sermon from a media pundit about taking the rap for the politican, banker and property developer created crisis, I'm going to abandon my committment to pacifism and make it my business to punch the ****ers lights out.

"In the Dáil during the week Cowen had the appearance of a man resigned to doing what is required. While the hysterical reaction to the October budget doesn’t give him any great grounds for optimism about the electorate’s ability to understand its own interests, in the short term Fianna Fáil’s best option is still to do what is necessary and hope for the best. In any case, there is no other choice."

As a means of issuing an invitation to being lynched this could hardly be bettered, in the circumstances.

How much longer are we going to have read and listen to idiots like Collins railing at us about how we don't 'get it'. Stephen, it is YOU who isn't getting it, ya numpty. Sucking up to the PD/IBEC crowd with dumb journalism like this may earn you brownie points in that quarter (a constituency you have been positively servile to in your outpourings as a rule) but if I were Geraldine Kennedy I'd tell you to shut your trap before you get the IT's offices fire-bombed for this sort of insulting, provocative drivel. But I'm forgetting, GK has no sense of irony or perspective about such matters either, apparently.

Cowen has nothing to lose by going for broke in budget - The Irish Times - Sat, Mar 14, 2009
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by blacbloc View Post
    As a means of issuing an invitation to being lynched this could hardly be bettered, in the circumstances.

... but if I were Geraldine Kennedy I'd tell you to shut your trap before you get the IT's offices fire-bombed for this sort of insulting, provocative drivel.
    Ah, would ya get up the yard with your childish incitement to violence.

Bet you wouldn't know a fire-bomb if it bit you on the ar5e.

brian leniian has to take 2500 euro MORE from each of the two million workers in this country just to achieve a 9.5% deficit. Do you get it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Question R24U View Post
    brian leniian has to take 2500 euro MORE from each of the two million workers in this country just to achieve a 9.5% deficit. Do you get it yet?
    Only because he won't eliminate spending schemes which have reached their sell by date.

I think it's a good article. The following sums up a major part of the dilemma.
    There is a school of thought that it would be better to wait for outside forces to take control of our affairs and let them implement the kind of cost-cutting measures that would make any Irish government unelectable. However, such an abdication of responsibility would certainly come back to haunt the government of the day and throw serious doubts over the future survival of the political parties involved.
    For years now, Irish (mostly FF) governments have done exactly this. Most legislative change in this country has originated from the EU, which has allowed them to blame the EU for any negative consequences. Our clientilist, populist, political system doesn't seem to be capable of doing the right thing on its own.

Don't like Collins but on this occasion he is dead right. Also physical threats, however jocose, are inappropriate in any forum.

There is a modicum of truth in the suggestion that the 'people' do not yet 'get it' When they do, those who created the mess, and that includes FF and the PD, need to seriously consider all moving to Ulick's summer residence in the south of France. Although come to think of it , France may not be the best choice!!!
    Regarding Collins and his piece, he has been very poor on this issue and like Whelan, it is clear that he is not an impartial observer.

Quote Originally Posted by blacbloc View Post
    If I have to read one more pompous sermon from a media pundit about taking the rap for the politican, banker and property developer created crisis, I'm going to abandon my committment to pacifism and make it my business to punch the ****ers lights out.

"In the Dáil during the week Cowen had the appearance of a man resigned to doing what is required. While the hysterical reaction to the October budget doesn’t give him any great grounds for optimism about the electorate’s ability to understand its own interests, in the short term Fianna Fáil’s best option is still to do what is necessary and hope for the best. In any case, there is no other choice."

How much longer are we going to have read and listen to idiots like Collins railing at us about how we don't 'get it'. Stephen, it is YOU who isn't getting it, ya numpty. Sucking up to the PD/IBEC crowd with dumb journalism like this may earn you brownie points in that quarter (a constituency you have been positively servile to in your outpourings as a rule) but if I were Geraldine Kennedy I'd tell you to shut your trap before you get the IT's offices fire-bombed for this sort of insulting, provocative drivel. But I'm forgetting, GK has no sense of irony or perspective about such matters either, apparently.

Cowen has nothing to lose by going for broke in budget - The Irish Times - Sat, Mar 14, 2009
    Dont always agree with Collins but he is spot on in this article.

You on the other hand - go get a fricking life if stating the bleeding obvious provokes you to such heights of hysteria such as bombing the free press.

On Vincent Browne recently a retired tax man said two thirds of the gap between revenue and expenditure could only be bridged by expenditure cuts, that taxes alone could at best raise one third of the deficit. So by that reckoning the PS are in for some savage cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Tiger View Post
    So by that reckoning the PS are in for some savage cuts.
    You do mean OUR public services, don't you?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment