Register to Comment
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Counter-Strike to Public Sector Demonstration

On Thursday 26th of February the Public Sector Unions are staging a protest rally that will involve some 13,000 public servants who cannot loose their jobs. nor can they lose their gold-plated pensions. However, they are unhappy that now, for the first time, they are being asked to make a contribution for that pension. I, on the other hand, am unemployed and live on €204p.w.

RTÉ News: 13,000 civil servants vote for strike action

They fully intend to bring much of the country to a halt through strike action thus stopping ordinary people from getting to work, receiving health care or in some cases, simply causing a loss of income, through disruption, that could be the clincher in finishing off a small business and forcing their friends and fellow country-men into the rapidly growing numbers of the unemployed - a fate impossible for the public service to suffer.

The damage already done to the rest of Ireland and the damage that is still to come is unprecedented and monumental. It is for this reason that i am compelled to try and organize a counter-demonstration to the public sector. No longer can we afford to pay their inflated salaries, no longer can we afford to pay for their inflated, unrealistic pension-privileges and fund their irrational expenses.

Nor can we let them incorporate special needs children into their argument. or try to unite "all workers" so they can march on without taking a hit while private sector workers suffer pay-cuts or lay-offs. Dell and Waterford Crystal are not related problems and nor should they be used to garner support by the unions for the rejection of the public sector pension levy.

So on the 26th of February at Midday, i propose a guerilla counter demonstration, gathering at Dáil Éireann to let the public sector know how the rest of the country feels. Will this demonstration have your support? Can i count on you to attend? A peaceful, but forceful demonstration to bring sight to those who cannot see.

Best Regards,

D. O'Ceallaigh
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyOC View Post
    So on the 26th of February at Midday, i propose a guerilla counter demonstration, gathering at Dáil Éireann to let the public sector know how the rest of the country feels. Will this demonstration have your support?
    D. O'Ceallaigh
    Hmmm, divide and conquer.

You can count construction workers out, they are currently venting their spleen to the detriment of Tom Parlon.

And the expected figures for the protest march tomorrow is close to quarter of a million.

Good luck trying to counter that.

On Thursday 26th of February the Public Sector Unions are staging a protest rally that will involve some 13,000 public servants who cannot loose their jobs. nor can they lose their gold-plated pensions. However, they are unhappy that now, for the first time, they are being asked to make a contribution for that pension. I, on the other hand, am unemployed and live on €204p.w.

RTÉ News: 13,000 civil servants vote for strike action

They fully intend to bring much of the country to a halt through strike action thus stopping ordinary people from getting to work, receiving health care or in some cases, simply causing a loss of income, through disruption, that could be the clincher in finishing off a small business and forcing their friends and fellow country-men into the rapidly growing numbers of the unemployed - a fate impossible for the public service to suffer.

The damage already done to the rest of Ireland and the damage that is still to come is unprecedented and monumental. It is for this reason that i am compelled to try and organize a counter-demonstration to the public sector. No longer can we afford to pay their inflated salaries, no longer can we afford to pay for their inflated, unrealistic pension-privileges and fund their irrational expenses.

Nor can we let them incorporate special needs children into their argument. or try to unite "all workers" so they can march on without taking a hit while private sector workers suffer pay-cuts or lay-offs. Dell and Waterford Crystal are not related problems and nor should they be used to garner support by the unions for the rejection of the public sector pension levy.

So on the 26th of February at Midday, i propose a guerilla counter demonstration, gathering at Dáil Éireann to let the public sector know how the rest of the country feels. Will this demonstration have your support? Can i count on you to attend? A peaceful, but forceful demonstration to bring sight to those who cannot see.

Best Regards,

D. O'Ceallaigh
    I smell a rat here. You should be venting your spleen at this corrupt and gombeen government who are bailing out the bankers and developers to the detriment of every man woman and child not the middle and lower paid public sector workers who are expected to carry the can. We will be forced to make further cutbacks and you can rest assured that unemployed and private sector will be brought into the firing line.

The whole thing reminds me of a certain saying from Pastor Niemueller in Nazi Germany, circa 60 odd years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Partizan View Post
    I smell a rat here. You should be venting your spleen at this corrupt and gombeen government who are bailing out the bankers and developers to the detriment of every man woman and child not the middle and lower paid public sector workers who are expected to carry the can. We will be forced to make further cutbacks and you can rest assured that unemployed and private sector will be brought into the firing line.

The whole thing reminds me of a certain saying from Pastor Niemueller in Nazi Germany, circa 60 odd years ago.

i fully advocate cutting back welfare too. i've been on it for three months and consider it too much.
    i started this discussion elsewhere and was directed here to find a different crowd, read the public sectors response here. (it's not all bad!)
    Counter-Strike to Public Sector Demonstration - boards.ie

Quote Originally Posted by Partizan View Post

Do you know Partizan... I was listening to one of the Drive Time programmes yesterday evening, and that is exactly what I thought as well... in fact, I am considering adapting it and using it on local election literature in June..

Maybe someone would like to have a go at an adaptation...

Divide and conquer.. from a 1st time poster.... I definitely smell a rat

i fully advocate cutting back welfare too. i've been on it for three months and consider it too much.

I'm sorry, you'll have to explain this if only for the sake of your credibility.

D. O'Ceallaigh
    a) The CPSU are on strike. One union. They represent COs the lowest paid civil servants.
    b) the CO pension is not gold plated. If you think a 40 contributory pension worth a maximum of 8k above the OAP rate you'll get even though you don't work, is gold plated....
    c) Its not the first time. I pay 6.5% into my pension. I pay PRSI. I pay tax.
    d) They work and do something for the money they get from the state...
    e) if its that good, that great, that easy - why didnt you get a job there???????

answer: you either
    1) were not good enough to get a job in the public sector;
    2) had no interest in getting a job in the public sector or had a job in the private sector that appealed more to you and probably paid better wages;
    3) found a public service career unsexy
    4) were a student/unemployed.

Sorry mate, no sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftfemme22 View Post
    I'm sorry, you'll have to explain this if only for the sake of your credibility.
    it's quite simple! the amount of benefits i get exceeds my needs. i can live quite cheaply without a problem. i can take care of all my expenses: rent, food, heating etc., with welfare and still have left overs from €204 pw. - i don't claim rent allowance or any other allowance at all.

quality of life is not superb, but then, i'm unemployed so i wouldn't expect it to be great! can other people do it? of course. will they? i don't know. most people take what they can get. it's fair enough i suppose.

i just think these protests at this time are disgusting, that's all.

it's quite simple! the amount of benefits i get exceeds my needs. i can live quite cheaply without a problem. i can take care of all my expenses: rent, food, heating etc., with welfare and still have left overs from €204 pw. - i don't claim rent allowance or any other allowance at all.
    Where on earth (literally) are you living?

Good luck in your venture Dizzy..

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment