Register to Comment
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Israeli flag burned at solidarity protest

A demonstration by the Ireland Palestinian solidarity movement at the gates of Leinster House on Kildare Street was addressed by Sinn Fein's Mary Lou and Joe Higgins.

After the speeches, the muslim protesters chanted slogans in English, anti-Israel, anti-Bush. An impromptu address in Arabic echoed over the 1000 strong crowd, a muslim gentleman, chanted through a loud-speaker, it could have been a prayer for all I knew, an angry mood caught and spread. From the crush of foreign looking gents, the shouts rose in wrath, I recognised the final words: "Allah who achbar".

Eyes were buzzing over a huddle of foreign gents, a crude rendition of the Israeli flag whooped up into the frigid January air - a man with a zippo studiously held a corner to its flame, an arm in the crush, squirted lighter fluid - whoop.
    The emblem of Israel was gone in seconds, only tendrils of blackend ash remained.

The crush was broken by an Irish bear of a man, lank white hair and a worried air, an organiser? but it was too late, the photo op had come and gone.

The crowd was coalescing into a 150 strong group of repentant worshippers. Leading the prayer, Imam Yahya Al-Hussein, knelt down before the gates of the Irish government, and chanted out. The secular, native crowd held back in silence. The quelled crowd prayed in unison.

Afterwards the worshippers moved tamely to the rear of the solidarity procession that was moving off towards Dawson Street.

I thought about photographing the tangled ember on the tarmac of Dawson street.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by CitiZenJonredux View Post
    If you think that's bad, wait for the effigies of Biffo and Coughlan.

Luckily it was just a piece of cloth that was ignited.

I'm watching live feeds of bombs being dropped in Gaza on Sky News now and it's likely that Palestinians are suffering that same fate as the flag.

I feel more compassion for the people.

Quote Originally Posted by CitiZenJonredux View Post

A demonstration by the Ireland Palestinian solidarity movement at the gates of Leinster House on Kildare Street was addressed by Sinn Fein's Mary Lou and Joe Higgins.

After the speeches, the muslim protesters chanted slogans in English, anti-Israel, anti-Bush. An impromptu address in Arabic echoed over the 1000 strong crowd, a muslim gentleman, chanted through a loud-speaker, it could have been a prayer for all I knew, an angry mood caught and spread. From the crush of foreign looking gents, the shouts rose in wrath, I recognised the final words: "Allah who achbar".

Eyes were buzzing over a huddle of foreign gents, a crude rendition of the Israeli flag whooped up into the frigid January air - a man with a zippo studiously held a corner to its flame, an arm in the crush, squirted lighter fluid - whoop.
    The emblem of Israel was gone in seconds, only tendrils of blackend ash remained.

The crush was broken by an Irish bear of a man, lank white hair and a worried air, an organiser? but it was too late, the photo op had come and gone.

The crowd was coalescing into a 150 strong group of repentant worshippers. Leading the prayer, Imam Yahya Al-Hussein, knelt down before the gates of the Irish government, and chanted out. The secular, native crowd held back in silence. The quelled crowd prayed in unison.

Afterwards the worshippers moved tamely to the rear of the solidarity procession that was moving off towards Dawson Street.

I thought about photographing the tangled ember on the tarmac of Dawson street.
    Looks like Photoshop to me. Look at the buildings on the right hand side.

Could be the smoke.

lol
    you might see it in the papers tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by draiocht23 View Post
    Luckily it was just a piece of cloth that was ignited.

I'm watching live feeds of bombs being dropped in Gaza on Sky News now and it's likely that Palestinians are suffering that same fate as the flag.

I feel more compassion for the people.
    Truer words....

All just nonsende from mostly middle class people. A waste of time too. Who cares? We have our own problems in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by LowIQ View Post
    Looks like Photoshop to me. Look at the buildings on the right hand side.
    Um, ever hear of a heat haze?

Quote Originally Posted by robert151410 View Post
    All just nonsende from mostly middle class people. A waste of time too. Who cares? We have our own problems in spades.
    I like this new idea, "middle class = pompous and ignorant". And what do you mean, who cares? Typical ignorance. Who cares about hundreds of people being blown up, our unemployment rate might rise slightly!

That flag burning is a disgrace and is a sectarian action. Israeli and Palestinean workers must unite together to stop the warmongers ie the Israeli ruling class but also the Hamas leadership. Flag burning drives ordinary decent Israelis and jews away from these protests. The Israeli flag represents ordinary peace loving Israelis too. Burning the Israeli flag is a reactionary activity.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment