Register to Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Irish Trade Unions

Many people have said that "unions are a waste of time and money". They
    bleed you dry with dues if your joined one and actually prevent you from
    getting certain jobs becuase your not join one. Then when a problem does arise—something other partnership talks on pay—there uesless. Perhaps, it's time to seriously question the trade union movement if the 'movement' exists at all
    and why anybody should get docked out of their pay for very little or nothing at all?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

If you are called in for a meeting with the boss, is it not better to have a professional negotiator with knowledge of employment law to speak on your behalf?You are dealing with a manager and probably HR bunny whose principal talent lies in screwing the best deal out of you, your talent may lie elsewhere.
    I have worked in multinational non union employments and it was my way or the highway. You got what they decided to give you, no rights, everthing could be negotiated with your supervisor but no right to anything.Of course some people reckoned they were so talented and effective they would do better without unions but in reality those who gained most in the corporate culture were the ruthless, devious politician type.One company decided to put an end to paid overtime with a 5% salary increase.They suceeded, they had budgeted to go to 20%,they couldn't believe it went through so easily.
    Why do you think employers are so anti union.Unions can't work miracles but they will negotiate a better deal for you, ie not accepting the employers first offer.

The ideal concept of trade unions is sound. It just doesnt work.

I have been a member of SIPTU for at least 11 years, I feel I got great value for my contributions. Most employees do not wish to rock the boat with their employers in fear of the reaction from them. The union reps. were more articulate than us and anyway they{employers} have the CIFs, IBECs and small business ass. So we need representation also.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Munster View Post
    getting certain jobs becuase your not join one. Then when a problem does arise—something other partnership talks on pay—there uesless. Perhaps, it's time to seriously question the trade union movement if the 'movement' exists at all
    and why anybody should get docked out of their pay for very little or nothing at all?
    oooooooo someone's been reading the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bobo View Post
    I don't read tabloid trash. It's my own view.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bobo View Post
    how condescending of you to presume ones only reason for being sceptical about unions is that they repeatedly read it in a newspaper

reminds me of a conversation i had with my uncle( who is a civil servant ) the day of the general election in 2007 , he asked me what i thought of the election and the likely outcome etc , i told him i was hoping the pd,s get enough seats so as to ensure FF tackle ineficency in the public service , he quickly replied , that issue is all over hyped in the media , i told him i didnt need the media to tell me of the ineficency in the public service , i see it all the time while dealing with them in my day job

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Munster View Post
    Trade Unions are neccessary in firms with bad management.

At this very moment, 1,500 people are about to lose their jobs. These are people with families and mortgages - and with just weeks to go to Xmas they are in fear for their futures.

Where is the outcry?

A few weeks ago TD's were wringing their hands in public over a few hundred jobs in Cappoquin - but they've remained strangely silent about this massive cull.

The people involved will be forced to make a last stand. They have nothing left to lose. Their Union has tried dealing with Management - but Management aren't interested. They know they have the workforce over a barrel.

Unions ARE necessary. This case proves it.
    All Unions fight rear guard action on a daily basis. Even a well organised Union is on a hiding to nothing in our immoral buiness culture.

PS If you don't know who the 1,500 work for - SHAME on you.

one thought it was 1200 not 1500 that were are risk in EI ?
    also outsourcing of rolls does not mean automatic redundancy for all, if it were to happen many would be transfered along with the functions they perform to contact winners, though granted some will not be taken, wanted or willing to go and will end up being made redundant, that is if it does happen...

whats the alternative, keep going in the same way as they have been and within a couple of years burn through the cash in the bank and face corporate extinsion or worse being sold in pieces or scavanaged by the likes of FR ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment