Register to Comment
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Stop our poorest pensioners freezing to death this winter

Did anybody see the piece in the Sunday Business Post yesterday about older people being unable to heat their homes this winter?
    Have a read at

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story ... qqqx=1.asp

It shocked me that up to 2,000 older people could die this winter because they cannot afford to heat their homes. Yeah, sure my bills are likely to go through the roof as well, but we will make do. But if you are surviving on the pension, it can't be easy. And with the Budget coming up, it is the time to shout out. I used to do a little work with the SVP and we came across some really sad cases all the time. They are there all the time, but sometimes when we are all doing ok it is easy to forget about them. But I guess those sad cases are still there. They are going to be in for a tough winter.

Age Action are pushing the issue, it seems, and are taking up a e-petition, which I have just signed. It is at http://www.ageaction.ie. Lots of facts and figures with it. If you feel the same way, I would encourage you to do the same. All it costs is two minutes to log on.

Of course, in the longer run we have got to do something about insulating all homes. There are a lot of old houses out there. Many have damn all insulation in them. Unfortunately, they are often the houses many of the older people I came across in the past live in. Until we get a proper home insulation programme established which can tackle all these older properties within a three to five year period we are wasting our time. It is not just a matter of preventing suffering for the older inhabitants, it is also about helping them make the most out of whatever fuel allowance or social welfare allowance the State gives them. Otherwise, when the carbon taxes come in, these people will be penalised on the double.

Enough of my ramblings, sign the petition.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Re: Stop our poorest pensioners freezing to death this winter

Petition smetition.

don't sign that and then go away thinking you've done your bit.

this winter, befriend an elderly neighbour and help them through it. its not that hard, and you'll actually feel great. also, in 50 years time, it might be you needing the help and company.

its not that hard to add insulation to a house, and a roll of rockwool isn't that expensive.

I agree no point signing a petition, do something useful such as sign up to Friends of the Elderly etc. Do gooders who do no good are hardly do gooders just empty vessels. Plus we have a Minister for Old People...time for her to speak out on this issue...

This is a very important issue!

The Government are likely to bring in a major insulation programme targetted in the first instance at vulnerable groups. We ran a pilot programme last year which saw 400 homes of people on fuel allowance receive proper insulation, and, in some cases, new boilers. It was a huge success - moreso in rural areas for some reason.

The sooner the Government bring in the Carbon Levy the better. This will see SUV drivers subsidise fuel poverty measures in a very efficient way.

In the meantime, I think we should be looking at co-ordinating measures at Community level to make sure that all necessary steps are taken to prevent any unnecessary deaths.

So how many people froze to death in Ireland per year in last 20 years.

Given that the Govt already provides fuel allowances then what then ?

Should the govt spend taxpayers money on private dwellings with no chance of return ?

Quote Originally Posted by zakalwe
    Petition smetition.

don't sign that and then go away thinking you've done your bit.

this winter, befriend an elderly neighbour and help them through it. its not that hard, and you'll actually feel great. also, in 50 years time, it might be you needing the help and company.

its not that hard to add insulation to a house, and a roll of rockwool isn't that expensive.

Well said. Occam's razor strikes again

Maybe we could nationalise the corrib gas field and provide cheap cost price gas to the poor and elderly? Sorry I forgot, the government doesn't give a damn about the poor

Burn some young people, there's too many of them anyway.

*shakes walking stick*

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe
    So how many people froze to death in Ireland per year in last 20 years.

Given that the Govt already provides fuel allowances then what then ?

Should the govt spend taxpayers money on private dwellings with no chance of return ?
    you're missing the point. poor insulation/inadequate heating kills through respiratory illnesses in winter. the old and very young are suseptible. its not like people are freezing to death a la jack nicholson in the shining!

dampness increases funguses and mould which produce spores in the air, which cause respiratory illnesses. not to mention pneumonia and flu which can be debilitating if you're elderly and living in a cold house.

help your elderly neighbour. go around their house (with their permission of course!!!) and check the windows and doors for draughts, check that the insulation is adequate, check that the vents are uncovered, drop in a bale of briquettes every now and then (only about Eur5 or so).

Quote Originally Posted by SPN
    The sooner the Government bring in the Carbon Levy the better. This will see SUV drivers subsidise fuel poverty measures in a very efficient way.
    No it won't, it will just see Govt coffers increase. The govt don't give a feck about the old as they are no longer paying anything to them in taxes by and large.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment