Dr James Clement Baxter joined the club, along with George Mahon, in 1889 and was to play a huge part in Everton's early history. Were Mahon was a leading figure in the local Methodist community, Baxter held the same esteem among the city's Catholics. He was educated at St Francis Xavier College and became a physician of some renown amongst the local Irish community. He also made a name for himself in the world of politics and represented the Liberal Party on the City Council from 1906 to 1920.
During his association with Everton he was to hold several positions form medical advisor to director and chairman but his biggest contribution came when he joined forces with Mahon when the fight with Houlding came to a climax in 1892. With the destiny of the club relying on a move away from Anfield, and the clutches of John Houlding, money was needed to build a new ground on the recently aquired plot of land on Goodison Road, called Mere Green.
The finances needed for the building work were raised in various ways and along with money already held by the club the ground was ready for the start of the 1892-93, but the club had stretched itself to its limits. George Mahon knew that a poor season could seriously damage the stability of the club, this is when Dr Baxter stepped in. He advanced Everton £1000 in the shape of an interest free loan and asked for no security, thus establishing the club's future.
At a stormy AGM on 5 June 1895 George Mahon resigned as the club's chairman and reluctantly Dr Baxter took over the leadership. He was relieved to later find out that his old friend had been induced to resume his position.