Register to Comment
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Because Irish people love the Royals is the simple truth.
    Yes but... It's a fact that Royal visits do have a political element. Look at the choreography behind Edward's forthcoming trip to the Middle East, for example. If there is a political element to this flurry of visits to Ireland it might just be about keeping relationships sweet in spite of Brexit but equally there might be a message intended for Ulster Unionists. Something like, look, not all ties with Britain are going to be severed overnight if the constitutional position changes.

I was among the crowd who marched against Prince Charles visiting Dublin in 1995 but I'm fine with these visits now. Eoghan Harris once told a Unionist audience to make some concessions to Nationalists, saying, 'They wanted a bike for Christmas. They aren't going to get it, but let's give them a few stickers.' That's how I feel about Unionism now. Let's give them a few stickers.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Like any other people visiting for a holiday, they are very welcome to visit.
    I hope they have a nice trip.

Hillary is coming to Trinity this Friday

I'm sure the fearless feminists will protest her like they protested the Paddy Jackson verdict

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    Like any other people visiting for a holiday, they are very welcome to visit.
    I hope they have a nice trip.

They are not here for 'a Holiday'

They are here to 'normalise' Anglo-Irish relations

- & Kill Nationalism by Kindness.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nordie Northsider View Post
    Yes but... It's a fact that Royal visits do have a political element. Look at the choreography behind Edward's forthcoming trip to the Middle East, for example. If there is a political element to this flurry of visits to Ireland it might just be about keeping relationships sweet in spite of Brexit but equally there might be a message intended for Ulster Unionists. Something like, look, not all ties with Britain are going to be severed overnight if the constitutional position changes.

I was among the crowd who marched against Prince Charles visiting Dublin in 1995 but I'm fine with these visits now. Eoghan Harris once told a Unionist audience to make some concessions to Nationalists, saying, 'They wanted a bike for Christmas. They aren't going to get it, but let's give them a few stickers.' That's how I feel about Unionism now. Let's give them a few stickers.
    TRAITOR!

Quote Originally Posted by LISTOWEL MAN View Post
    Hillary is coming to Trinity this Friday

I'm sure the fearless feminists will protest her like they protested the Paddy Jackson verdict
    Will she be taking questions about the Clinton Foundation, it's donations and it's actions in Haiti?

Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (the ones who got married recently) will visit Dublin next month on July 10th and 11th, Kensington Palace has said. Harry and Meghan "are looking forward to learning more about Ireland's history and experiencing its rich culture, as well as meeting the people who are shaping the country's future", a spokesperson added on Twitter.

Hmmm.....July 10-11. Will they be heading up north the following day for The Glorious 12th? And might some Orange feathers might be ruffled if not?

RTÉ News: Duke and Duchess of Sussex coming to Dublin in July
    That's nice, any chance of yis removing your great grandmother's colonization project?

I'm a bit of an anglophile and a disliker of nationalisms of all hues and yet the republican (as opposed to "Republican") in me finds this acceptance of British makeyuppy names for their nobility hard to justify in a country that has rejected the concept of hereditary heads of state, etc..

He's Harry Windsor and she's Meghan Markle (or Megan Windsor at a pinch).

This "Duke and Duchess of Sussex" thing is ever so slightly nauseating.

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    That's nice, any chance of yis removing your great grandmother's colonization project?
    Ask the guys under the "colonial" rule. And stop changing the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    I'm a bit of an anglophile and a disliker of nationalisms of all hues and yet the republican (as opposed to "Republican") in me finds this acceptance of British makeyuppy names for their nobility hard to justify in a country that has rejected the concept of hereditary heads of state, etc..

He's Harry Windsor and she's Meghan Markle (or Megan Windsor at a pinch).

This "Duke and Duchess of Sussex" thing is ever so slightly nauseating.
    All titles are made-up. That goes for professor, president, doctor, reverend etc etc.

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment