Register to Comment
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 432
Like Tree180Likes
  1. #21
    Nordie Northsider Nordie Northsider is offline
    Nordie Northsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,228

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Because Irish people love the Royals is the simple truth.
    Yes but... It's a fact that Royal visits do have a political element. Look at the choreography behind Edward's forthcoming trip to the Middle East, for example. If there is a political element to this flurry of visits to Ireland it might just be about keeping relationships sweet in spite of Brexit but equally there might be a message intended for Ulster Unionists. Something like, look, not all ties with Britain are going to be severed overnight if the constitutional position changes.

    I was among the crowd who marched against Prince Charles visiting Dublin in 1995 but I'm fine with these visits now. Eoghan Harris once told a Unionist audience to make some concessions to Nationalists, saying, 'They wanted a bike for Christmas. They aren't going to get it, but let's give them a few stickers.' That's how I feel about Unionism now. Let's give them a few stickers.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #22
    gerhard dengler gerhard dengler is offline
    gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    48,112

    Like any other people visiting for a holiday, they are very welcome to visit.
    I hope they have a nice trip.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #23
    LISTOWEL MAN LISTOWEL MAN is offline
    LISTOWEL MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9,997

    Hillary is coming to Trinity this Friday

    I'm sure the fearless feminists will protest her like they protested the Paddy Jackson verdict
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #24
    Catalpast Catalpast is online now
    Catalpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    23,990

    Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    Like any other people visiting for a holiday, they are very welcome to visit.
    I hope they have a nice trip.

    They are not here for 'a Holiday'

    They are here to 'normalise' Anglo-Irish relations


    - & Kill Nationalism by Kindness.....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #25
    Catalpast Catalpast is online now
    Catalpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    23,990

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordie Northsider View Post
    Yes but... It's a fact that Royal visits do have a political element. Look at the choreography behind Edward's forthcoming trip to the Middle East, for example. If there is a political element to this flurry of visits to Ireland it might just be about keeping relationships sweet in spite of Brexit but equally there might be a message intended for Ulster Unionists. Something like, look, not all ties with Britain are going to be severed overnight if the constitutional position changes.

    I was among the crowd who marched against Prince Charles visiting Dublin in 1995 but I'm fine with these visits now. Eoghan Harris once told a Unionist audience to make some concessions to Nationalists, saying, 'They wanted a bike for Christmas. They aren't going to get it, but let's give them a few stickers.' That's how I feel about Unionism now. Let's give them a few stickers.
    TRAITOR!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #26
    Roll_On Roll_On is offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18,501

    Quote Originally Posted by LISTOWEL MAN View Post
    Hillary is coming to Trinity this Friday

    I'm sure the fearless feminists will protest her like they protested the Paddy Jackson verdict
    Will she be taking questions about the Clinton Foundation, it's donations and it's actions in Haiti?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #27
    Roll_On Roll_On is offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18,501

    Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (the ones who got married recently) will visit Dublin next month on July 10th and 11th, Kensington Palace has said. Harry and Meghan "are looking forward to learning more about Ireland's history and experiencing its rich culture, as well as meeting the people who are shaping the country's future", a spokesperson added on Twitter.

    Hmmm.....July 10-11. Will they be heading up north the following day for The Glorious 12th? And might some Orange feathers might be ruffled if not?

    RTÉ News: Duke and Duchess of Sussex coming to Dublin in July
    That's nice, any chance of yis removing your great grandmother's colonization project?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #28
    Toland Toland is offline
    Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    76,341

    I'm a bit of an anglophile and a disliker of nationalisms of all hues and yet the republican (as opposed to "Republican") in me finds this acceptance of British makeyuppy names for their nobility hard to justify in a country that has rejected the concept of hereditary heads of state, etc..

    He's Harry Windsor and she's Meghan Markle (or Megan Windsor at a pinch).

    This "Duke and Duchess of Sussex" thing is ever so slightly nauseating.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #29
    Toland Toland is offline
    Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    76,341

    Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    That's nice, any chance of yis removing your great grandmother's colonization project?
    Ask the guys under the "colonial" rule. And stop changing the subject.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #30
    The Eagle of the Ninth The Eagle of the Ninth is offline
    The Eagle of the Ninth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    71,693

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    I'm a bit of an anglophile and a disliker of nationalisms of all hues and yet the republican (as opposed to "Republican") in me finds this acceptance of British makeyuppy names for their nobility hard to justify in a country that has rejected the concept of hereditary heads of state, etc..

    He's Harry Windsor and she's Meghan Markle (or Megan Windsor at a pinch).

    This "Duke and Duchess of Sussex" thing is ever so slightly nauseating.
    All titles are made-up. That goes for professor, president, doctor, reverend etc etc.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment