Register to Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Political leaders, convictions, wind sniffing and weasels.

Simon Harris; His views on abortion up to 2012;

At a private meeting amongst colleagues, I raised concerns about legislating for abortion in Ireland, adding that should such a scenario arise, I would have grave difficulty supporting it. The next day I read about my comments in the media.
    … I have a strongly held view on this and I need to stand by that belief.

Fine Gael TD Simon Harris also sent an anxious e-mail in the final week of the campaign assuring PLC [Pro Life Campaign] that: “I am happy and proud to assure you I am pro-life.”

Mr Harris added the nervous plea of: “Please be assured of my support. I need No 1 votes on Friday so I can be in a position to support these positions in Dail Eireann.”

2018;

“The idea of a woman in crisis sitting in front of her doctor & her doctor refusing to refer flies in face of care & compassion & is not reflective of doctors I know. People spoke & want women to be cared for. Conscientious objection -yes. No referral or info -no.”

Our esteemed national political leader, up to 2012.

“I would accept a lot of Catholic social teaching. I’m not a practising religious person, but I would accept that. I wouldn’t be in favour of abortion…”

Abortion in the case of rape;

“I wouldn’t be in favour of it in that case, and, you know, first of all, it isn’t the child’s fault that they’re the child of rape. You can say the same thing about disabled children. You know, some people would make that argument in favour of abortion. It’s not their fault they’re disabled. I wouldn’t be in favour of it in those circumstances either.”

“Even, how would that work practically? Would someone have to prove that they’ve been raped? I think where that’s been brought in in countries it has more or less led to abortion on demand.”

Up to 2015;

“I consider myself pro-life, as I accept that the unborn is a human life with rights and I do not support abortion on request or on demand”

2018;

"I don't think that a six-week-old foetus has the same right to life as my sister."

"What we've had in Ireland is a very convenient safety valve."

"We've allowed abortion to continue by just turning a blind eye and I don't think that's right. That's not what a modern society should do."

Shallow much?

I would finish by describing them both very deservedly as I see them, but what did slimeballs ever do to me to deserve to be in the same bucket as those two, but as no doubt at least two thirds of you will say, they may be backsliding gutless slimeballs, but they’re our backsliding gutless slimeballs and I'd reply; it's very welcome you are to them.

We get the politicians we deserve and has that ever been more true?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Welcome back, Tonic.

Well then Savita happened.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Welcome back, Tonic.
    Thank you.

What about Mickey Martin?

And sailor?

Tá fáilte romhat ar ais, tonic.

In 2012, Donald Trump was a reality television show host.

Yesterday he brought peace to the Korean Peninsula.

If a week is a long time in politics, six years is an eon.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Danger View Post
    Tá fáilte romhat ar ais, tonic.
    go raibh maith agat

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    Shallow much?

I would finish by describing them both very deservedly as I see them, but what did slimeballs ever do to me to deserve to be in the same bucket as those two, but as no doubt at least two thirds of you will say, they may be backsliding gutless slimeballs, but they’re our backsliding gutless slimeballs and I'd reply; it's very welcome you are to them.

Many FGers changed their minds about abortion in the years leading upto the referendum.
    Most of FF changed their mind about it in the minutes after the first exit poll came out.

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    Simon Harris; His views on abortion up to 2012;

At a private meeting amongst colleagues, I raised concerns about legislating for abortion in Ireland, adding that should such a scenario arise, I would have grave difficulty supporting it. The next day I read about my comments in the media.
    … I have a strongly held view on this and I need to stand by that belief.

Fine Gael TD Simon Harris also sent an anxious e-mail in the final week of the campaign assuring PLC [Pro Life Campaign] that: “I am happy and proud to assure you I am pro-life.”

Mr Harris added the nervous plea of: “Please be assured of my support. I need No 1 votes on Friday so I can be in a position to support these positions in Dail Eireann.”

2018;

“The idea of a woman in crisis sitting in front of her doctor & her doctor refusing to refer flies in face of care & compassion & is not reflective of doctors I know. People spoke & want women to be cared for. Conscientious objection -yes. No referral or info -no.”

Our esteemed national political leader, up to 2012.

“I would accept a lot of Catholic social teaching. I’m not a practising religious person, but I would accept that. I wouldn’t be in favour of abortion…”

Abortion in the case of rape;

“I wouldn’t be in favour of it in that case, and, you know, first of all, it isn’t the child’s fault that they’re the child of rape. You can say the same thing about disabled children. You know, some people would make that argument in favour of abortion. It’s not their fault they’re disabled. I wouldn’t be in favour of it in those circumstances either.”

“Even, how would that work practically? Would someone have to prove that they’ve been raped? I think where that’s been brought in in countries it has more or less led to abortion on demand.”

Up to 2015;

“I consider myself pro-life, as I accept that the unborn is a human life with rights and I do not support abortion on request or on demand”

2018;

"I don't think that a six-week-old foetus has the same right to life as my sister."

"What we've had in Ireland is a very convenient safety valve."

"We've allowed abortion to continue by just turning a blind eye and I don't think that's right. That's not what a modern society should do."

Shallow much?

Welcome back!

From the continuity of "no pasaran" in the sig I take it that it has conveniently changed meaning yet again?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment