Register to Comment
Page 1 of 119 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1183
Like Tree652Likes
  1. #1
    reg11 reg11 is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,850

    IRFU - Hypocritical?

    Is there not an absurdity in the IRFU/Ulster taking action against players based on assumed infringements to do with their ’responsibility and commitment to the core values of the game -respect, inclusivity and integrity’. Have they not themselves violated the 1st and the 3rd of those listed values by accepting sponsorship from an organisation that has shown disregard for those values, time and again?

    Does it have the moral authority to take action against players for assumed violations when it seemingly openly violates those core values itself? Also, might the openness of such a violation, i.e. leading by example clearly demonstrate to young impressionable minds through subliminal learning that such values are really just B.S, thus reasonably giving cause for them to also act negatively with regard to claimed values? Note, in this case I don’t believe the players violated those values to any great degree, in comparison to the IRFU. I feel they’ve been done a grave injustice.

    I hear the IRFU are now going to have programmes of education for young players and the like, but will they first demonstrate through example by doing what they need to do? Or does everybody continue to look the other way and get all moralistic again, when the next young player is found not to be so squeaky clean?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    derryman derryman is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9,452

    Quote Originally Posted by reg11 View Post
    Is there not an absurdity in the IRFU/Ulster taking action against players based on assumed infringements to do with their ’responsibility and commitment to the core values of the game -respect, inclusivity and integrity’. Have they not themselves violated the 1st and the 3rd of those listed values by accepting sponsorship from an organisation that has shown disregard for those values, time and again?

    Does it have the moral authority to take action against players for assumed violations when it seemingly openly violates those core values itself? Also, might the openness of such a violation, i.e. leading by example clearly demonstrate to young impressionable minds through subliminal learning that such values are really just B.S, thus reasonably giving cause for them to also act negatively with regard to claimed values? Note, in this case I don’t believe the players violated those values to any great degree, in comparison to the IRFU. I feel they’ve been done a grave injustice.

    I hear the IRFU are now going to have programmes of education for young players and the like, but will they first demonstrate through example by doing what they need to do? Or does everybody continue to look the other way and get all moralistic again, when the next young player is found not to be so squeaky clean?


    What?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    Curmudgeon82 Curmudgeon82 is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    18

    No, they bowed to commercial interests.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    Lumpy Talbot Lumpy Talbot is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    18,410
    Twitter
    @

    Most employers have a clause in their contracts that they can operate should employees bring disrepute publicly to the organisation.

    Similarly contracts between sponsors, advertisers and the IRFU will have clauses that stipulate that the sponsors and advertisers can withdraw from a deal with the IRFU should there be disrepute likely to be damaging to their brand in evidence.

    I doubt the IRFU are very happy with these players at the moment and they will have considerable headache and exchanges between lawyers.

    All fairly inevitable.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    ger12 ger12 is offline
    ger12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    48,301

    I wonder how the GAA and IFA compares in this regard.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    Lumpy Talbot Lumpy Talbot is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    18,410
    Twitter
    @

    Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    I wonder how the GAA and IFA compares in this regard.
    Pretty badly in my lifetime. I saw a line of GAA men standing up in court for a local character who had a criminal record a mile long and who was eventually jailed for 17 years for rape and aggravated assault.

    That was the end of any collections for the GAA and the end of my involvement with the GAA as a young lad.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    Peppermint Peppermint is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    7,179

    Quote Originally Posted by reg11 View Post
    Is there not an absurdity in the IRFU/Ulster taking action against players based on assumed infringements to do with their ’responsibility and commitment to the core values of the game -respect, inclusivity and integrity’. Have they not themselves violated the 1st and the 3rd of those listed values by accepting sponsorship from an organisation that has shown disregard for those values, time and again?

    Does it have the moral authority to take action against players for assumed violations when it seemingly openly violates those core values itself? Also, might the openness of such a violation, i.e. leading by example clearly demonstrate to young impressionable minds through subliminal learning that such values are really just B.S, thus reasonably giving cause for them to also act negatively with regard to claimed values? Note, in this case I don’t believe the players violated those values to any great degree, in comparison to the IRFU. I feel they’ve been done a grave injustice.

    I hear the IRFU are now going to have programmes of education for young players and the like, but will they first demonstrate through example by doing what they need to do? Or does everybody continue to look the other way and get all moralistic again, when the next young player is found not to be so squeaky clean?
    Sponsorship from whom are you talking about??
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    irishproduce irishproduce is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    359

    Also there is a drug cheat sanctioned by them to play for Munster.
    Where does that leave their integrity values?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    Fellow Fellow is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    350

    Quote Originally Posted by irishproduce View Post
    Also there is a drug cheat sanctioned by them to play for Munster.
    Where does that leave their integrity values?
    He served his punishment and thatís it. Nothing in the rules says heís banned for life.

    Movement the opposite way might happen here. Jackson and Olding might not be suitable role models for Ulster or Irish kids but they could be ok for the French.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    Glenshane4 Glenshane4 is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    9,202

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    Pretty badly in my lifetime. I saw a line of GAA men standing up in court for a local character who had a criminal record a mile long and who was eventually jailed for 17 years for rape and aggravated assault.

    That was the end of any collections for the GAA and the end of my involvement with the GAA as a young lad.
    Had you collected for the GAA or contributed to GAA funds? How dare you interfere with the personal lives of members of the GAA? The GAA exists to promote Gaelic Football (male), hurling, Handball and Rounders. So long as a member does nothing which conflicts with these aims, his personal life is no business of the GAA.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 119 1231151101 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment